Are hunting-style boots not safe?

CWCobra

Registered
I have been wearing the same boots for years. They are lace-up, hunting style boots. They come way up over the ankle, not quite mid-thigh, and have a very good grip sole. However, I am concerned that they may not offer adequate protection when compared to Sidi or Oxtar or Joe Rocket type motorcycle boots.

Can someone explain what specific features make the Sidi-type boots more desireable for riding than hunting-type or work boots? Or are they? Their extremely high selling price must be justified somehow.

Thanks, and ride safely,
CW

Last edited:
Any type of riding or racing boot will be protective because these companies spend lots and lots of dollars to develop e product that will protect you, thus making a market for themselves. However, any boot is better than a tennis shoe. Good question. :beerchug:

unfortunately most "motorcycle boots" offer almost no added protection. the better boots will have padding,hard plastic,steel or kevlar in the impact zones and the area the will get ground away during a crash.....especially if you get caught under the bike.

also some boot will have hinge type brace in the ankle to support the ankle during a crash......they will also have a lace-up or buckle system that is tyight around the ankle to suport it during a crash.....

i have basketball shoes that give more support and protection than most of the boots that people wear.....the biggest drawback to shoes is the laces bllowout on impact and the shoes can go flying off....

The sportbike designed boots have armor and skid plates buit into them to protect you in a crash that standard leather motorcycle or non-motorcycle types of boots do not. There are some out there that are not overly expensive.

AGV Sport Sebring 2 Boots - Motorcycle Superstore

2007_AGV_Sport_Sebring_2_Boot_Black.jpg

The hunting style would be alot better to wear than tennis shoes.

For the first 29 years of my riding career, I wore a pair of Danner (rainforest) lace-ups. They are comfy as any tennis shoe I've owned, they're waterproof, and warm. I've been down wearing them twice, with no issues at all..
But last season, by better half bought me a pair of Sidi Vertigos. With all the additional armor in the correct spots, I'm sure they are far safer for my feet. I went down at the track this last September wearing them....scuffed 'em up a little, but nothing big. Considering the area that was ground up on my Sidi's, I'm pretty certain that the Danners would've ground thru to my skin..

Keep your hiking boots for hiking. A good pair of riding boots is not huge money. Plus, they look cool. :laugh:

Seriously, I'm glad I made the move.

If they are a good quality boot the biggest hangup might be the laces. Literally … Hanging a lace on a brake, peg, or shifter could cause some serious problems. With some you can lose some feel on the shifter. I’ve wore both on most bikes, I’m more comfortable with sport bike specific boots on a sport bike and can take either on a cruiser.

Any boot would be better than tennis shoes. I have three pair of boots. I have a pair of Oxtars for the track days and performance riding, a pair up Set up brand for the cold, and these perferated Sidi's for hot days.:thumbsup:

Default.jpg

No question tennis shoes are safer than barefoot, and hunting boots are safer than tennis shoes. I was just concerned whether the "space-man" looking riding boots were actually safer than hunting boots, or is it all just for looks? And respectfully, the "space-man" boots are not cool looking - at least not to me. Of course, I wear other stuff in the name of safety that's not cool looking, either. My neon-green armor jacket is kinda dorky looking, but it is highly visible, and safer than a black leather jacket, for example.

CW

Any boot would be better than tennis shoes. I have three pair of boots. I have a pair of Oxtars for the track days and performance riding, a pair up Set up brand for the cold, and these perferated Sidi's for hot days.:thumbsup:

2 thumbs up for the Sidi Corsa Air :thumbsup: (I have 2 pairs - Black and White)

Yes they do have features that are very valuable.

• The Vertigo Corsa’s exclusive external ankle brace system ties into the rear vertebra panel and the boot lower in order to provide the highest level of support against tort ional twists or severe impacts without, however, reducing the boot’s flexibility or comfort. Made of thermoplastic resins the material offers high resistance and protective qualities. Please note that the external ankle brace is provided on the inside and outside of the rider’s ankle with the Vertigo Corsa.
• The Vertigo Corsa boot extends the adjustable calf system by incorporating a buckle system over the bridge of the rider’s foot. With a simple adjustment of the Tecno VR knob the internal monofilament line will evenly close and wrap the boot around the riders foot in micro adjustments for a perfect glove like fit. This system also prevents the rider’s foot from sliding forward in a crash thus offering extra protection to the rider’s toes.
• Bolt on (no Velcro!) replaceable, adjustable and aerodynamic nylon/ceramic skid pads on the toe.
• The shin deflector plate is the only replaceable deflector plate available in racing today. The Vertigo Corsa’s shin plate features carbon fiber construction.
• Shock absorbing heel.
This is good if you do a flip over the bars and land with the back of your heels on the pavement. One of the racers did this in a race and really wrecked his heels so SIDI incorpoated the shock absorbng heels into this boot.

black.jpg

white.jpg

Last edited:
No question tennis shoes are safer than barefoot, and hunting boots are safer than tennis shoes. I was just concerned whether the "space-man" looking riding boots were actually safer than hunting boots, or is it all just for looks? And respectfully, the "space-man" boots are not cool looking - at least not to me. Of course, I wear other stuff in the name of safety that's not cool looking, either. My neon-green armor jacket is kinda dorky looking, but it is highly visible, and safer than a black leather jacket, for example.

CW

My everyday boots are almost all black, and you can't tell they have extra protection when you wear them under jeans .

DSC_0052.JPG

any one wear the short sidi boot?

Yep, I wear the Sidi Scorpio when I'm on the VTX.
fac_pic.jpg

I wear my Sidi Stradas to work. They go well under my business casual clothing
Default.jpg

or Sidi Vertigo when I'm wearing leathers.
Default.jpg

I won't ride without a pair of Sidis on. 19 years ago I went down wearing tennis shoes and I carry the scar on my ankle as a reminder.

Last edited:
Heel and ankle protection is vital in a crash. You need real boots. Sidi are my choice.

Any type of riding or racing boot will be protective because these companies spend lots and lots of dollars to develop e product that will protect you, thus making a market for themselves. However, any boot is better than a tennis shoe. Good question. :beerchug:

Agree here...go with motorcycle boots!

Back