Safe to jump?

pseudo

Donating Member
Registered
Just wondering, is it safe to jump my Busa from a car? I'm thinking if it's 12v it should be okay right?

I've push started it before, but I'm worried that because it's been sitting for so long that the fuel pump will not be primed.

Anyone?

jump it with a car

Use a charger on it

Use a Charger / Starter in starter mode on it.

it is a 12volt so no differant than a car battery

When I came to work one morning and locked the forks I inadvertantly turned on the parking light. Yeah, like all day. By the time I came out, it was dark and nearly everyone was gone so I called triple A for assistance. After the poor driver got through pushing me around the parking lot trying to bump start the bike we decided to try jumping it. Guess what, it worked. Just like thrasherfox says there is no difference except the batteries cranking amperage. I bet that tow truck driver wished we had known that before he started pushing!

(dmrowe @ Feb. 20 2007,16:12) When I came to work one morning and locked the forks I inadvertantly turned on the parking light.  Yeah, like all day.  By the time I came out, it was dark and nearly everyone was gone so I called triple A for assistance.  After the poor driver got through pushing me around the parking lot trying to bump start the bike we decided to try jumping it.  Guess what, it worked.  Just like thrasherfox says there is no difference except the batteries cranking amperage.  I bet that tow truck driver wished we had known that before he started pushing!
Ohh thaaatt ssuuuuuccckkksss

Is it ok to laugh and feel sorry for the tow truck driver at the same time ?
crazy.gif

I have a friend with a (cough cough) 1200 Kawi who blew the main fuse jumping with a car. Be careful!!!

I read somewhere(can't remember where) that you should NOT use more than a 1.5AMP charger,not volts, AMPS.
I know i tried it with my 12 volt car battery charger and it wud NOT take a charge.
However ,when i used the 1.5 AMP trickle charger,BINGO!It charged my battery in about 1-2 hours.
Thats been my findings.
Good luck on your mission.......should you decide to accept to accept it?(remember Mission Imppossible?)

That was due to an issue, hookup, something, because the bike will only draw what it needs. A twelve volt battery is a twelve volt battery.

I jump them with the car off, just hook to the battery no problem.

I also have the battery tender leads with the clamps to make life easier.

battery_tender_junior.gif

(thrasherfox @ Feb. 20 2007,19:49)
(dmrowe @ Feb. 20 2007,16:12) When I came to work one morning and locked the forks I inadvertantly turned on the parking light. Yeah, like all day. By the time I came out, it was dark and nearly everyone was gone so I called triple A for assistance. After the poor driver got through pushing me around the parking lot trying to bump start the bike we decided to try jumping it. Guess what, it worked. Just like thrasherfox says there is no difference except the batteries cranking amperage. I bet that tow truck driver wished we had known that before he started pushing!
Ohh thaaatt ssuuuuuccckkksss

Is it ok to laugh and feel sorry for the tow truck driver at the same time ?
crazy.gif
Tough day for him.

(heavybusa @ Feb. 20 2007,22:17) I jump them with the car off, just hook to the battery no problem.

I also have the battery tender leads with the clamps to make life easier.

battery_tender_junior.gif
No problem jumping the bike from a car. In fact, I have a set of battery cables (smaller than normal) that are made for bikes. The roll up in their own small bag and they work. Got them from Pep boys I think or somewhere like that.
cool.gif

NEVER have the car running when jumping the battery. Charging systems are different and you risk damage to both vehicles (Goldwing is about the only exception to the rule that I know of).

If available I would highly recommend covering the bike battery with a heavy towel or tarp. If there's an internal short in the bike battery, the car battery will have no problem supplying all the amperage it needs to set it off like a bomb.

(Turbo-Torch @ Feb. 22 2007,19:21) NEVER have the car running when jumping the battery.  Charging systems are different and you risk damage to both vehicles (Goldwing is about the only exception to the rule that I know of).
I would like a logical explanation for this often stated belief that makes sense. Until then, I'm not buying it.

I do agree that there is no need to have the automobile running. The larger battery will have no problem supplying enough current to start the bike without the vehicle running.

And if the car's charging system happens to spike voltage wise (something you'll only see on a scope) the bike will happily take it. Care to guess what that might do to the small regulator and recitifier used on a bike?

If you think all charging systems are the same go here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~trinomial/chgtypes.html

Also do a google search on shunt regulation.

(Turbo-Torch @ Feb. 22 2007,21:09) And if the car's charging system happens to spike voltage wise (something you'll only see on a scope) the bike will happily take it.  Care to guess what that might do to the small regulator and recitifier used on a bike?  

How are you going to get a spike with the car's engine NOT running
rock.gif

(BA BUSA @ Feb. 22 2007,21:17)
(Turbo-Torch @ Feb. 22 2007,21:09) And if the car's charging system happens to spike voltage wise (something you'll only see on a scope) the bike will happily take it.  Care to guess what that might do to the small regulator and recitifier used on a bike?  

How are you going to get a spike with the car's engine NOT running
rock.gif
You won't which is why I said to never have the car running. Dennis doesn't seem to buy into that theory.
wink.gif

12 volts from a battery is 12 volts. Not so from one charging system to another when you throw in differences in rectified output.

Its' sort of like how those 12 VDC to 120 VAC inverters can cause major damage to electronics due to a modified sine wave.

Back