Under $50 best tire repair and fill kit ?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Who makes the best one ?
I was in Cycle Gear today getting some oil and had one in my hand.
Never thought about it but now since I had one in hand and did not buy it the way my luck is a flat is soon to happen .

The kit I saw had a co2 cartridge with a little device that you put that into to fill tire with . It also had some of the familiar tire plugs and tool to put em in with . Was like $39 bucks .

Who makes the best one for your $ ?
I have used plugs in car tires all my life but am curious as to these with bike tires ?
Once put in and limped home do you have to replace the tire or can you continue to ride it ?
How fast can you ride with a plugged tire if it has proper pressure in it ?
Never really felt safe driving a car over 60-70 with plugs in them .
Should you even do that on a plugged bike tire ?

cartridge not enough to pump it up ?
Mini compressor ?
how BIG is mini ?

Just seems like there are a few more things I should be carrying 100 miles from home !

Some of them have 2 cartridges, if not, I'de buy a pack anywhere, wal-mart, ect. I've been meaning to buy one for years now, I need to. I wouldn't ride on a plugged bike tire any futher than I had too. But it beats callin for a ride.

My HD came with a CO2 kit and some plugs. Kinda cheap lookin but suppose it'd work. Should get one for the Busa as well.

Wouldn't trust the plug and would patch asap if tire still had life.

I am a big fan of a regular car tire repair kit and a CyclePump. Cartriges will give you like 20 psi - just to limp to the gas station. And if you mess up and don't patch it right on the first try, there goes you precious air out the tire.

I installed a cigarette lighter adaptor under the hump, so I can plug the CyclePump easily. I usually idle the bike while pumping the tire so not to drain the battery. Small, very efficient - will inflate a completely flat tire in like 2 min - much better than other compact air compressors sold around.

I actually carry CyclePump inside the hump.

Not a fan of the catridges, I like the mini aircompressors.

Ask Tim "Pashnit" about his "CyclePump" items...

Yup need a full plug set and a cyclepump to pump your tyre especially when you go for touring.Cartridges can only be use once for a bottle.

cartridge not enough to pump it up ?
Mini compressor ?
how BIG is mini ?

Just seems like there are a few more things I should be carrying 100 miles from home !

Its very small,can put behind your rear tail section.Look for Pashnit Tim.Going to get 1 next month

Will these pumps fit under my seat cuz I don't ride with the hump on nor do I have it converted ?

Will these pumps fit under my seat cuz I don't ride with the hump on nor do I have it converted ?

Saiid - The link posted above is the Stop n Go kits which are very popular. During the tour season, we are shipping them daily. We recommend a simple plug or patch kit if you carry a compressor with you (common in the sport-touring community). If it doesn't make sense to carry an air compressor, get a Stop-n-Go Kit with the CO2 included. Our middle kit at $45 is most popular for that.

On to Air Compressors: Buy Now: Cycle Pump Motorcycle Air Compressor, EZ Air Tire Gauge, Tire Repair Kit | Pashnit Moto

If may seem odd to carry an air compressor on your bike, but for the sport-touring community, it just makes sense. You have several air compressors to choose from if you opt to carry one. The Cycle Pump model is likely the most popular as has an excellent reputation behind it. They are a bit of an investment at $100, but the first time you use it on the side of the road, they are invaluable. The higher quality models like the Cycle Pump will quickly fill the tire (the cheapy ones take awhile) and can reach 100 psi.

The Cycle Pump just fits inbetween the frame rails on the Gen-I busa under the hump. Lot of room in the busa tailsection (I have undertail of course). If you look closely at this photo of the Busa, you can see just how much stuff is back there. (Geza Bike Cover stows inside the hump). That red pouch under the rear bar is the Cycle Pump. The black pouch at right is the EZ Air Gauge which is an inline gauge attaching in-line to the air hose from the Cycle Pump.

Plus you can see two spare footpegs, spare set of levers, Kenwood, Autocom, plus the Powerlet Outlet which you can plug anything into including mini-usb.

Img_9442_800.jpg

This was in the middle of nowhere when my buddy Tim ran over a stick in the road of all things. Punctured the tire, but he managed to ride the 400 miles home on the plug.

Img_4973-CyclePump.jpg

Img_9442_800.jpg

Img_4973-CyclePump.jpg

Last edited:
Wow ! Thats a lot of stuff in there.
Somebody may have to back me up but it doesnt seem like my bike a GenII has that much room in there.
Either way I'll look at the links as I am now scared to ride without one.
A stick ?!

Simple fact I would never leave my bike anywhere.
I will either die trying to push her or be found dead along side her cuz I was in the middle of nowhere !

A stick ?!

Yes, a stick. Best we could figure is it was a small one in the middle of the road, say 1". Tim actually saw it & tried to avoid it, but hit it with the backtire on the SV650. Likely had a small branch thingy sticking out and hit it just right to puncture tire. Definitely unusual, but it happened. It was a bad hole really, he had to pump up the tire several times on his way home.

Late last season, I hit a rock in road in NorCal at speed. Tried to avoid it, but clipped the edge of it and thankfully didn't dent the rim. Next morning coming out of the hotel, tire on the busa was flat. Filled it up with the Cycle Pump and rode all day home on it across the state. Next morning, flat again.

Pin hole leak from the rock, so it was a puncture, but not big enough to patch. Lesson learned - don't hit rocks. :laugh: Had to toss that tire.

Only thing you can't fix is this. This was a cut in the tire and went flat in less than 1-2 miles. Total loss of air and can't fix a gash-style cut, just too big of a hole.

IMG_8523-truck.jpg

Haven't seen the bill yet. :laugh:

Img_1699-busa.jpg

IMG_8524-tire.jpg

This cost me about $450 for the tow (to most-local shop) + new tire & install labor. First day of a 1000 mile trip. :(

IMG_8525-tire-hole.jpg

IMG_8523-truck.jpg

IMG_8524-tire.jpg

IMG_8525-tire-hole.jpg

Img_1699-busa.jpg

Last edited:
Hard sticks in Cali.. Wow !

Brings back memories of the very first day i got my 88 T/A.
Was about 30 miles from home and backing it into a parking lot to show some friends.
Backed right over a small section of copper pipe. It went flat in seconds with a big whoosh...
Ok no problem just change the tire.
Dealer forgot to install spare tire after prepping it for delivery.
I had to get it towed into the dealer.

Lucky my dad had a loud voice as they wound up paying for all but still it sucked .

Looking at your site now.

Really just want a small thing that will allow me to limp home 50-100 miles as I dont travel much farther than that.

I travel with a motopump system. I've never used it on my bike but have used it on my buddies bikes, I get lots of beer for carrying one. :beerchug:

http://motopumps.com/

Last edited:
Really just want a small thing that will allow me to limp home 50-100 miles as I dont travel much farther than that.

Saiid, then keep it simple and either a CO2 kit, or a plugger kit w/ CO2 would work just fine for you.

medtireplugger_1.jpg PocketTirePlugger_226.jpg

Stop n Go isn't the only folks that make these, but they are Illinois-based, and likely one of the more recognizable names in the US.

medtireplugger_1.jpg

PocketTirePlugger_226.jpg

So far I haven't used anyhting..have helped a couple of times getting a tire going.

I have a Pocket Tire Plugger like above with extra cartridges..it seems it takes more than comes with it to fill up our tires.

I also have a slime air pump.

It would be my suggestion to get a pump because the size of it and the amount of cartridges you need for CO2 are about the same....and you can use the pump over again.

http://www.slime.com/category_14_Tire-Inflators.html

Last edited:
What about using Slime? The downside would be if you did need to patch the tire, that stuff is a mess.

Back