Hid

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
I just installed DDMs HIDs on my 08, everything went too quick and easy. I have low beam, but no high beam. Waited about 15 seconds and still nothing. Don't wanna leave the switch on too long because I can't run the bike(it's in the house out of the snow:laugh:)
Seems like I'm overlookin something stupid. Thought I'de ask before I switch the ballasts, to make sure I don't have a bad one. Thanks guys

I switched the ballasts, same problem. I'm not sure I follow you on what to check. And the factory high beam worked fine, I checked right before I put in the HIDs:banghead:

If there is not enough power to fire the HID the ballast will not send any current to the bulb. Great lights but the arc strike is demanding.

My bike will not light both High and low beam if I don't have my bike running. I have found this to be normal.

Another test to see if your bulb and ballast are good is just hook up the low beam lines to the high beam ballast. The Ballast Or just live with fumes to test it out. I am just here to give some options.

I was wondering if it wouldn't run both with the bike off. If yours won't, I feel alot better. Thanks alot

You could put a 10amp battery charger on you battery but I don't like to that many amps though the system. It would fool the system into thinking it was running.

1) Check the polarity, make sure you've got the wires correct.

2) Since you've already swapped ballasts and know they are both good, unplug the low-beam ballast, then try your high beam

3) If you have a battery charger, hook it up to the battery and then try both...then you won't have to have the bike running...

I'm sure it's wired correct. I just turned the switch, and I can hear the ballast but the low won't come on now. I'm pretty certain that's because it's not getting enough juice. I'll get it outside tomorrow and run it, I'm confident now that they both will work. And if not, it's too late for me to know somethings screwed up:laugh:
It's great to ask a question at 1am and get help so quick. Thanks all

One of the connectors had to be trimmed slightly for a good connection. A small amount of a plastic rib inside the connector had to be trimmed away. This might not be true for your set. Had to do it on mine for the Gen I. Been three years ago, so the memory isn't that great.

you can also run a capacitor inline with the kit this will store a bit of extra juice to jump start the hid on your high beam they should look like this, as for flipping the polarity what I had meant was to take the factory plug at the ballast and literally unplug it and flip it over and insert it and reconnect without seeing the set up it's a little hard to really make that call but it's fairly common on a lot of vehicles. here's a pic (gonna have to open the word doc) of the capacitor that's generally used.

OK now you don't have to open a word doc here it is .

:laugh:

VanDammeCantSee.gif

Just cranked bike, still no high beam. let it run for 20 seconds or so, still nothing. I'm at a loss:banghead:

I also checked the high beam bulb socket with a test light. It does have power to it. I did switch the ballasts and had the same problem. The bulb looks ok, even though I know that doesn't mean it is. I know very little about HIDs and don't no what else, or how to check the bulb. I'm beginging to think I've got a dud. Anybody?!

well technically you did check it already you know what though check to see if everything is making an actual connection like DO3 said sometimes you need to shave down the ballast plug end this is the H9 if I remember correctly push all the connectors in hard you might just have a contact issue.

No good, I'm ready to kill somebody at DDM. I know things happen, but*%#!!! It'll be a couple weeks now by the time this gets exchanged. F#*K!!! Thanks all for the help

Back