How NOT to haze your tire~!~ Almost went down

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
I'm like Hell Yeah~!~ I'm hazin the heck out of the tire, but that was not the case.....as Monk say, here's what happened:

We did a lot of maintenance on my bike a couple nights ago getting it ready to run LSR next weekend, part of which included changing the oil.

Let me skip forward a day then we'll come back to that part.

I take the bike out for a cruise basically just to make sure everything is ok, all the adjustments are right, and we didn't forget anything. I let it warm up down the back street and hit the on ramp to the interstate.

At this time I'm thinking, we swapped out the back tire for a tire that still has some pretty good chicken strips on it and they're bugging me a bit...time to knock them on off in case I want to ride this weekend. Bike is still at stock height for that reason.

I hit second gear and go into the s turn on ramp pretty good, about 3/4 lean. As soon as I come into the first turn, the rear end kicks out at a large angle, maybe 40 degrees or so. My first thought is...wow, I've felt tires be slick that haven't been scuffed before but man this is feeling pretty slick.
(this is my straight line tire with 3/4 inch chicken strips on it so I've road it on the strip before)

Anyway, I'm like hell yeah I'm hazing the heck out of that tire...watching the smoke roll off in my rear view mirror while it's trailing around the curve. This went on most of the way around the curve (the hell yeah part didn't last but a second or so before it turned into OH :cursin:)

The tire must have been on the outside of the oil strip and burning off at a rate fast enough to keep some grip.

I went to pull the rear end in and straighten it up because the curve is straightening out and there is a rig parked on the side of the road...the tire didn't pull in, not with any grip anyway. I'm looking at the rear of the trailer at this point and thinking well, here we go...it's either hit the rear of the trailer if I try to get straightened out or go on the right side of the trailer past the gravel and into the ditch.

I decided to leave the right side as the main route if needed. The rear end is locked up at this point and still kicked out to the side. I pulled the right shorty lever as hard as I thought it would hold and the front brake stopped me about 5 feet behind the rig.

Ok, wind back a day...to changing the oil. This is something everyone should double check before placing a new oil filter onto your bike...the old rubber gasket ring was left on. This means the new one went on with it. Once tightened, the old gasket got pushed into a bind and crept out of the wedge.

I lost all the new oil, all over the road and rear end.

Pushed it back down the ramp and towed it home...this actually just happened about two hours ago now.

Put it on the stand and sprayed foaming degreaser all over the tire, washed off. Took an electric sander to it. Sprayed again with degreaser and sanded while degreaser is soaking. Did a burnout in the driveway. I think the tire is ok, will take it real easy once the fairing is back on and see how it feels.

Here's some pics.

100_1588.jpg

100_1589.jpg

100_1590.jpg

100_1591.jpg

100_1592.jpg

100_1593.jpg

The fella in the pic is a bud who stopped to help me load the bike onto the trailer. He won a GP race at the local track.

You can barely see the ring sticking out the bottom of the filter.

100_1594.jpg

100_1595.jpg

100_1596.jpg

100_1597.jpg

All I have to say is WOW! I don't know how you didn't go down!? Obviously I'm glad the outcome played out the way it did for you. Including pics always helps us members paint a pretty lil picture of how much pucker factor you experienced :laugh:

But I'm still confused what happened when you changed your oil filter.

All I have to say is WOW!

But I'm still confused what happened when you changed your oil filter.

The new oil filter comes with a rubber O ring in it for a gasket. I am usually really really picky about checking to make sure the old gasket was not left on, but it was missed this time.

With two O rings, one of them bound up and did not seal good enough to keep the oil from coming out once I give it a little more gas. It probably held up just fine until I hit a few RPMs then it popped out.

The new oil filter comes with a rubber O ring in it for a gasket. I am usually really really picky about checking to make sure the old gasket was not left on, but it was missed this time.

With two O rings, one of them bound up and did not seal good enough to keep the oil from coming out once I give it a little more gas. It probably held up just fine until I hit a few RPMs then it popped out.

So your saying sometimes when you've pulled your filter off in the past...the old o-ring has like "hung up" or "stuck behind" ?

Is this correct? I'm only asking because I have my fairing off as we speak and am changing my oil 1st thing tomorrow morning. And I have not heard of this experience.

So your saying sometimes when you've pulled your filter off in the past...the old o-ring has like "hung up" or "stuck behind" ?

Is this correct? I'm only asking because I have my fairing off as we speak and am changing my oil 1st thing tomorrow morning. And I have not heard of this experience.

Happens all the time....

The same thing happened Monday to a friend of mine on his 954. We were at Texas World for a trackday & he got black flagged during Round Robin. Lucky for him. His tire looked just like yours.

WOW! glad youre okay. the pics realy show how bad it could of been. thanx for the heads up; this is something ive not paid attn to before, but def will in the future

You are one lucky sumbiotch dude! Throw that tire away and count your blessings!

just like normal when you are stripping the girl to get her properly lubed up...you want to make sure the ring is OFF!

You are one lucky sumbiotch dude! Throw that tire away and count your blessings!

+1000, OMG:shocked:::11 'Number 31, now serving number 31,next':grim:and your number must have been 32!!:please: AND the rig with that oil trail leading up to it-I'd still be pulling most of the seat foam out my butt IF, I was that blessed:bowdown:

You keeping those tires? Knarly

Front one still needs to be swapped out for a new one on Monday. Rear is usually only my straight line tire I put back on last night so I don't think it'll be a big deal...haven't decided yet...but it's basically a brand new tire, just used it in a couple straight line runs. still had the nipples on it until I sanded them off after the oil

If it were my normal twistie tire, I wouldn't trust it a bit~!~
I've heard of other tires soaking up oil or anti freeze and still being slick. I figure I was pretty quick about getting this off...still wouldn't trust it in the twisties~!~

I'm going to cruise it up the road at least once before making a final decision, right now I have it cleaned up and looking about like normal. I'm pretty picky though, it'll probably get discarded anyway~!~

Better to spend an extra $200 than fight with road rash~!~

Last edited:
I'll tell you this, it'll only ever happen once to you!

I did the same with my car and spilled oil all over my garage floor.

Why do you have a clamp around the filter?

Back