A little drill to avoid a PR

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
PR (Panic Reaction)

I received a PM from Skydvr yesterday telling me he had a couple of OhSh!t moments when riding over the weekend. He had met a vehicle in one of his favorite corners and had a PR. He did exactly the wrong thing by standing his bike up.

When a vehicle pops up in a blind corner in exactly the wrong spot, it triggers a PR in most riders and the decision you make at that exact moment may make the difference between life and death. We have all been there and done that at some point. I had this exact thing happen to me a few years ago and I nearly became a hood ornament for an F350 Ford. I couldn't get that thought out of my head for days afterwards. I came so close to ending it all and I knew it!

After that little mistake that came within a snatchhair of taking my life I came up with a little mind game that seems to work well for me. I shared this little tidbit of info with Keith (Skydvr) and he suggested I post it up for the troops. It's simple but works quite well for me.

Every blind corner I encounter, before reaching the tip in point, I force my brain to think there is a vehicle just out of sight crowding the centerline and I am going to meet this guy in exactly the wrong spot. This forces me to choose a line that will avoid any possible collision and keeps me out of harms way. If my brain is already aware this fantasy vehicle is there, I can totally avoid the PR when one actually appears.

I have had many encounters with vehicles in blind corners since that close call some years back and not once was I in the wrong position at the wrong time and not once did it trigger a PR. If your mind in cocked and ready, even if you are in a bad position, the instant the vehicle appears you will instantly take evasive action without taking time to evaluate the situation and you will aready have a plan of excape programed in.

Of course we all know avoiding the centerline as much as possible is the safest way to avoid oncoming traffic but we can't always do that when romping through the twisties.

I learned this early on in aviation, "Always leave yourself an avenue of excape"! This is also true with motorcycles especially in right hand corners where we face a head on collision if we run wide.

This little mind game works for me and it may work for you as well?

:beerchug:

Good tip bro,

Yup, Its amazing what happens in Survival Mode,

didnt't Kieth Code call it

Survivial Reaction #1, Roll off the gas, which leads to standing the bike up.

Good call man,

I came across a family of four PEOPLE trying to run across the US Parkway and when they saw me they decided to split up and become moving targets! I avoided them but it was a situation and a half for sure.

That is a good idea if you have as much time in the seat as you do Tuf, but a lot of riders here don't have nearly enough time so I would recommend simply slowing down before you enter the blind corner...If you want to hit it aggressively go through it a couple times and get a feel for it and what traffic might be heading your way.

I asked Steven to post a thread about this because the idea of "plan/expect to see someone in a curve" in my mind helps remove the "oh poop" factor that caused me to 'twitch' and probably moved me a foot closer to the center line before I corrected. On the road I was riding, I always ride it once to look for gravel/mud/sand, and then go back thru it a little faster. Most of the curves I can see thru cleanly, but this one kinda surprised me. I saw the same thing in the Code book, which made me think his advice of "plan for something to be there, so you won't be surprised when there is" I thought was a great idea from someone with vastly more experience than me.

Now, I haven't gotten to put it into practice yet, so going to see how that works out. Thanks again Tuf!

Last edited:
Yesterday I was riding to work and the stoplight turned yellow. When I was slowing down I checked my mirror and guess what! A minivan flying up on my a$$. I moved over to the line on the right and he went right by me through a red light. I thought I was done for sure.

Yesterday I was riding to work and the stoplight turned yellow. When I was slowing down I checked my mirror and guess what! A minivan flying up on my a$$. I moved over to the line on the right and he went right by me through a red light. I thought I was done for sure.

Good look...I always mention to students to check your rear when approaching a stop for just this reason. It is also why we insist on going into first gear when stopping.

Great advise:thumbsup:,this being the philosophy I always use regardless of speed or angle of approach!I feel any movement(ANTICIPATED or PERCIEVED) in the other direction is a threat! Much like any vehicle that is in my vision at any given time.Weather that vehicle is an 1/8mile ahead,behind,turning onto the road,etc. To me they are all an imminent threat to my well being and will be viewed as such until I am comfortable with their intent, or lack there of!:moon:
I want any potential problem to become just another positive(even if a neg.experience) lesson in my biking career. One that I will never graduate from, but always derive knowledge from.:bowdown:.
This in-turn to apply to the higher learning ,that is the never ending ride experience, we all so highly regard!:thumbsup:
Wisdom is most often the result of lots of redundant lessons,then re-applied to other circumstances.??? At least thats what I convinced myself it is:poke:::laugh:

great advice:thumbsup: that an taking the blind corner at the posted speed limit could save lives:thumbsup:

be safe out there :beerchug:

I have strange "car in corner moments" sometimes. Mainly happens when the car is white or black, and for a millisecond, it's a cop. Of course it only happens when I'm doubling+ the posted corner speed, and well over the speed limit in general. Don't run wide or anything, but my heart skips a beat.:laugh:

Back