Dr E's Busa Backrest instruction doc...

Dr E

Donating Member
Registered
I want to thank everyone for inquires into how I made my backrest.

Originally I had said I would email anyone who wanted the instructions. Well I have had so many requests that email was going to be to difficult so I decided to find a way to just post it up for anyone to grab. Below is the link to Google Documents. You do not need to sign in to get this document.

Google Docs

I had a lot of fun making this and I hope you find these directions of help to you. There is always room for improvement and modification as half the fun of making something is making it for yourself and adding those unique features.

Nothing on this design is copy written. I share this freely with you as I feel not everything should be done to make a profit...not that making a profit is bad mind you:laugh: The only professional aspect to this backrest was the covering which was done by Tobin.

Good luck and if you do this, post up your final version I would love to see your version!

DSC00665 (Small).JPG

Thanks Dr E, I made one by your design just lookin at the picture. I couldn't really see the crossbar but knew there had to be one. I'll put up a pic and you will see the basic same design. Bet you'll be seein a lot of backrests around now just like yours.:thumbsup:

Thanks Dr E, I made one by your design just lookin at the picture. I couldn't really see the crossbar but knew there had to be one. I'll put up a pic and you will see the basic same design. Bet you'll be seein a lot of backrests around now just like yours.:thumbsup:

That is totally cool! I will be anxious to see how it turned out and any details about it when you post.

I tell you...when you can do stuff yourself it is a kick in the shorts and really satisfying.

:thumbsup:

OK Dr E here are a few pics of mine. It's kinda crude but nearly all of it was made of half inch stock. Mostly bolted all but the luggage rack. It was welded. The brackets were off of an engine. they were pulling brackets that I cut to fit.As you can see I used your Idea for the pivot point and did make some bushings for the brackets. I think I had about 12 dollars in it when finished and it does a great job. We heated the stock with a torch and made the bends around a brake rotor, I'm surprized it was as true as it is. I primed it with etching primer and spray painted it. I made the back rest from plywood, foam and material I got from an upholstery shop. I did use your design and I appreciate it. Shadetree57

100_3706.jpg

100_3705.jpg

100_3704.jpg

100_3703.jpg

shadetree57; said:
OK Dr E here are a few pics of mine. It's kinda crude but nearly all of it was made of half inch stock. Mostly bolted all but the luggage rack. It was welded. The brackets were off of an engine. they were pulling brackets that I cut to fit.As you can see I used your Idea for the pivot point and did make some bushings for the brackets. I think I had about 12 dollars in it when finished and it does a great job. We heated the stock with a torch and made the bends around a brake rotor, I'm surprized it was as true as it is. I primed it with etching primer and spray painted it. I made the back rest from plywood, foam and material I got from an upholstery shop. I did use your design and I appreciate it. Shadetree57

I really really like what you did. You pushed yours back further as this had been in my mind to do something like that...thus giving your passenger more room. The luggage carrier is in a cool shape and is something that I could use now.

I am not kidding when I say you did an excellent job! Thank you so much for posting the pics.

The next one I am getting excited to see is Jokers. He and I have been talking on and off over his. It will be exciting to see if his ideas work out. They sound like they will.

Hopefully the shoulder is feeling good Randy!

I really really like what you did. You pushed yours back further as this had been in my mind to do something like that...thus giving your passenger more room. The luggage carrier is in a cool shape and is something that I could use now.

I am not kidding when I say you did an excellent job! Thank you so much for posting the pics.

The next one I am getting excited to see is Jokers. He and I have been talking on and off over his. It will be exciting to see if his ideas work out. They sound like they will.

Hopefully the shoulder is feeling good Randy!
You know we gotta see it when it's done.

I want to thank everyone for inquires into how I made my backrest.

Originally I had said I would email anyone who wanted the instructions. Well I have had so many requests that email was going to be to difficult so I decided to find a way to just post it up for anyone to grab. Below is the link to Google Documents. You do not need to sign in to get this document.

Google Docs

I had a lot of fun making this and I hope you find these directions of help to you. There is always room for improvement and modification as half the fun of making something is making it for yourself and adding those unique features.

Nothing on this design is copy written. I share this freely with you as I feel not everything should be done to make a profit...not that making a profit is bad mind you:laugh: The only professional aspect to this backrest was the covering which was done by Tobin.

Good luck and if you do this, post up your final version I would love to see your version!

You should sell these....

awesome idea guys!!! I ended up buying a corbin rear seat w/backrest for my wife bc she hated the re-shaped new image rear seat i had when i got my seats re-upholstered. She loves the backrest, says it gives her much more peace of mind that she's not gonna fly off the back. Also said the seat is quite firm, but i'm hoping it will break in and feel great for her. Definitely a worthwhile purchase to make the wife comforable, but the seat w/backrest was damn near $500!!!!!!

Back