Anyone on here able to make these?

i don't really feel the need for it myself.  Just my .02
We don't need to remove the reflectors, trim the mudflapps, etc. It's a mod, which we know are all personal preferences.

There are several GPIs on the market, including 1 that is a nice implementation with a small digital display that is separate from the electronics so it doesn't look so overpowering in the dash. http://home.satx.rr.com/eks/eks_concepts.htm

I like the look of the sequential LEDs better than the digital readout. I'm also modding the circuit to bright/dim from a photocell rather than tying it into the bikes high beam switch. It'll take a while to get it build since this isn't the highest priority on my list. I'll post some pics when I get it done.

I think I will give it a try. i went to follow the link for getting the resistors and their online ordering is messed up, won't allow me to place the order so I have an email into the webmaster. anyway from reading Bluegauges write up it seems everything is straight forward. Do you have any suggestions where to get these parts at especially the super bright LED's they speak of. If I can find the parts I'll give it a shot and do a step by step write up. Maybe sourcing this together we can figure it out.

I think I will give it a try. i went to follow the link for getting the resistors and their online ordering is messed up, won't allow me to place the order so I have an email into the webmaster. anyway from reading Bluegauges write up it seems everything is straight forward. Do you have any suggestions where to get these parts at especially the super bright LED's they speak of. If I can find the parts I'll give it a shot and do a step by step write up. Maybe sourcing this together we can figure it out.[/QUOTE]

Here ya go, Dude !

This place has it all, LED, surface mount LED and so on.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121420969 -->

I think I will give it a try.  i went to follow the link for getting the resistors and their online ordering is messed up, won't allow me to place the order so I have an email into the webmaster.  anyway from reading Bluegauges write up it seems everything is straight forward.  Do you have any suggestions where to get these parts at especially the super bright LED's they speak of.  If I can find the parts I'll give it a shot and do a step by step write up.  Maybe sourcing this together we can figure it out.

Here ya go, Dude !

This place has it all, LED, surface mount LED and so on.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Rhythm, saved be the trouble of having to create the link. Still don't have the hang of it in here.

That's where I ordered the electonics to build mine. $35 plus shipping. That includes some extra resistors and LEDs just incase. The parts to add the photocell instead of relying on the hi beam switch to determine if it's day or night was about $10. I haven't received the parts yet.

DennisH
New Recruit

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:1.31

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote (Rhythm @ July 14 2005,22:49)
I think I will give it a try. i went to follow the link for getting the resistors and their online ordering is messed up, won't allow me to place the order so I have an email into the webmaster. anyway from reading Bluegauges write up it seems everything is straight forward. Do you have any suggestions where to get these parts at especially the super bright LED's they speak of. If I can find the parts I'll give it a shot and do a step by step write up. Maybe sourcing this together we can figure it out.

Here ya go, Dude !

Thanks Rhythm, saved be the trouble of having to create the link. Still don't have the hang of it in here.

That's where I ordered the electonics to build mine. $35 plus shipping. That includes some extra resistors and LEDs just incase. The parts to add the photocell instead of relying on the hi beam switch to determine if it's day or night was about $10. I haven't received the parts yet. [/QUOTE]

Put me down for a kit, D and be sure to post plenty of photos when your finished !

I think I will give it a try.  i went to follow the link for getting the resistors and their online ordering is messed up, won't allow me to place the order so I have an email into the webmaster.  anyway from reading Bluegauges write up it seems everything is straight forward.  Do you have any suggestions where to get these parts at especially the super bright LED's they speak of.  If I can find the parts I'll give it a shot and do a step by step write up.  Maybe sourcing this together we can figure it out.

Here ya go, Dude !

Thanks Rhythm, saved be the trouble of having to create the link.  Still don't have the hang of it in here.

That's where I ordered the electonics to build mine.  $35 plus shipping.  That includes some extra resistors and LEDs just incase.  The parts to add the photocell instead of relying on the hi beam switch to determine if it's day or night was about $10.  I haven't received the parts yet.[/QUOTE]
I just ordered some of the parts from Futurlec.com. do you have any of the part #'s of the stuff you ordered? That would be a huge help for anyone attempting this. Thanks for the link to DigiKey.com, we'll see where this goes.

OK. Here's the list of electronics. This is enough to lay it out on a bread-board. Will still need to get a circuit board, housing for the electronics, panel for the LEDs, wire, and a few other misc items. The part numbers are digikey number, not manufacturer number. This is a copy paste from an HTML page, so I'm not sure how readable it will be. The Customer Reference column will match the labels on the schematic from bluegauges. There are some additional parts here because of the day/light sensing instead of the high beam switch. Also, I ordered all blue diffused LEDs. There are brighter ones and other colors available, but I think these will go good with the bluegauges mod I'm getting the Busa for Christmas.

Index Quantity Part Number Description Customer Reference Backorder Quantity Unit Price
USD Extended Price
USD
1 5 464XBK-ND RES 464 OHM 1/4W 1% METAL FILM R1, R2, R14 0 0.10800 $0.54
2 5 681XBK-ND RES 681 OHM 1/4W 1% METAL FILM R3, R4 0 0.10800 $0.54
3 10 604XBK-ND RES 604 OHM 1/4W 1% METAL FILM R5, R8, R9, R10, R11, R12, R13 0 0.10800 $1.08
4 5 1.00KXBK-ND RES 1.00K OHM 1/4W 1% METAL FILM R6, R7, R16 0 0.10800 $0.54
5 10 1N4007GICT-ND RECTIFIER 1 AMP 1000V DO-41 D1, D2, D3 0 0.04000 $0.40
6 1 2N4124BU-ND IC TRANS NPN SS GP 200MA TO-92 Q1 0 0.19000 $0.19
7 2 497-1443-5-ND IC POSITIVE REGULATOR 5V TO-220 Rg1, Rg2 0 0.55000 $1.10
8 1 255-1092-ND RELAY TELCOM SPDT 1A 5VDC PCB Relay 0 3.16000 $3.16
9 2 296-6605-5-ND IC QUAD DIFF COMPARATOR 14-DIP LM339AN 0 0.48000 $0.96
10 1 574SF503-ND POT 50K OHM COND PLAS LIN TAPER R15 0 2.65000 $2.65
11 1 8555K-ND KNOB INSTRUM SKIRTED RND .7"DIA R15k 0 3.78000 $3.78
12 10 67-1751-ND LED 5MM BLUE/BLUE DIFF LENS Display LEDs 0 2.00300 $20.03
13 1 PDV-P8107-ND PHOTOCELL 80K-240K OHM 5.10MM Rp1 0 0.57000 $0.57

Even though I already have the Datatool Digital Gear Indicator on my bike, I really think that this concept is awesome. I would love to do something like this myself, but when it comes to electronics, I would have to be talked through it step-by-step... Someone might get tired of me real quick, so I'll stick with what I already have.
biggrin.gif

I finally got back around to this again yesterday and built the mockup. I'm pretty sure the relay I got is defective. Sometimes everything works perfectly switching from daylight to dark and back. But sometimes going from dark to light, the relay buzzes and only tranfers partial power to the LEDs. Testing the circutes shows that I am well within the the capacity of the relay. Oh well, I'll need to give digikey a call. Anyway, now onto designing the curcuit board for this badboy. Of course, there are pictures
smile.gif

100_0442.JPG

Here it is with the auto-dim curcuit mockup added. The relay does not fit in the breadboard (at least the one I'm using). You can see it taped to the board and jumpered back.

100_0450.JPG

I would be careful using super bright LEDs, if you angle one of those babies into your eye it hurts. I put a few into a PC keyboard and had to take them out. I then did the same in my car and ended up diming them down with resistors. I am loving the idea I think I may have to see about wiring one of those up. They would go nice into the dash with those round led holders.

Back