Very Very Poor Running Busa need advise please

I purchased Iridium plugs and hope to install them today.
I will look at the fuel pump again to check for a mesh screen.
Then my plan is to reassemble everything. Put Seafoam in the gas tank and give it another good run. I'm still considering buying an in-line fuel filter. Would it hurt to leave the original in place or does that have to be removed if I install an in-line filter?

Those pictures that you have on page 2 is not the fuel filter. That is the fuel pressure regulator. The filter is on the bottom where the sump is located. You will have to remove the pump to get to it.

Last edited:
Here is a view of the fuel pump assembly.

#2 is listed as the Filter Assy, Fuel.
To get to #3 - the strainer fuel pump, does the bottom bowl just pull off?
Is it screwed on or attached someway?

10155_14.jpg

2292.jpg

Number 3 is the filter. Number 2 is the fuel pressure regulator you can look inside and see the spring. The sump pulls off. Disconnect the wiring and the set screws.

I agree with you!
I never could figure out how that piece could have filtered anything.
But on a side note, I call Suzuki and they confirmed that the fuel filter was $329 and was not cleanable! On the drawing #2 is called the filter, and does list for $329.
Strange stuff for sure.
So I will go out and try to pull the pump assembly apart and get to the the screen (filter).
Time will tell.

The filter can be cleaned. Remove it and use non clorinated carb cleaner. Insert the spray straw in the hole of the filter and spray it from the inside out.

If you go with an inline filter, then YES you should remove the stock filter. If you don't, then the clogged stock filter will still be keeping the bike from getting all the fuel it needs.

Just make some jumpers to power and submerge the fuel pump in a bucket of gas and see if it is pumping fuel.

The bike will run, so it has to be pumping some fuel. I don't have a pressure gauge to check if it's at 43 psi.

OK I just installed the new spark plugs, re-installed the fuel injectors and rail, removed the fuel pump (again) and disassembled it to get to the filter/screen.
The screen had some debris on it, however it didn't look like it was enough to cause a restriction in fuel. I cleaned it out and re-assembled the pump with it.
There was a small amount of debris in the bowl too. However, after 6 years I didn't think that it was to bad. So everything that I can think of fuel related is now clean. I drained most of the gas before I started and it looked pretty clear compared to the last time I drained it. There is a cold front coming through with a high in the 20's for tomorrow so I may have to wait to test ride it.

2358.jpg

2360.jpg

2362.jpg

I purchased Iridium plugs and hope to install them today.
I will look at the fuel pump again to check for a mesh screen.
Then my plan is to reassemble everything. Put Seafoam in the gas tank and give it another good run. I'm still considering buying an in-line fuel filter. Would it hurt to leave the original in place or does that have to be removed if I install an in-line filter?

Do not remove the original filter, clean and reinstall. More protection is better.

Just make some jumpers to power and submerge the fuel pump in a bucket of gas and see if it is pumping fuel.

Do not do what he just described unless you have a buddy with a couple of fire extinguishers near by.:banghead:
The bike will run, so it has to be pumping some fuel. I don't have a pressure gauge to check if it's at 43 psi.

OK I just installed the new spark plugs, re-installed the fuel injectors and rail, removed the fuel pump (again) and disassembled it to get to the filter/screen.
The screen had some debris on it, however it didn't look like it was enough to cause a restriction in fuel. I cleaned it out and re-assembled the pump with it.
There was a small amount of debris in the bowl too. However, after 6 years I didn't think that it was to bad. So everything that I can think of fuel related is now clean. I drained most of the gas before I started and it looked pretty clear compared to the last time I drained it. There is a cold front coming through with a high in the 20's for tomorrow so I may have to wait to test ride it.

Let us know how it goes!!:thumbsup:

LeeFL2
I did reinstall the original filter/screen because I didn't think that it was all that bad. I would have expected it to be much dirtier to restrict fuel flow. If I do add an inline filter it will be as extra protection. Only if it wouldn't let enough fuel through would I remove the screen in the pump. At 43 psi I think the fuel should go through both filters.

Now only if it would warm up:whistle:

LeeFL2
I did reinstall the original filter/screen because I didn't think that it was all that bad. I would have expected it to be much dirtier to restrict fuel flow. If I do add an inline filter it will be as extra protection. Only if it wouldn't let enough fuel through would I remove the screen in the pump. At 43 psi I think the fuel should go through both filters. Now only if it would warm up:whistle:

Absolutely. At open throttle that number will drop a little but should be still plenty of flow.

What type of cruise control is installed? If it's electronic, when was it put in?

I did installed a Rostra cruise control in the spring of 2009.

I'm thinking that your thinking that the cruise may be part or all of my problems.
I have had mixed results with the cruise. However, I rode a lot with it on and it never caused any performance issues. I also disconnected the ground wire to it before my last ride. It made no difference (better or worse) on the performance. It still ran very very poor.

I'm hoping that cleaning the real fuel filter/strainer, changing the plugs, cleaning up the injectors, and adding sea foam to the gas will help, and maybe even cure my bike. Time will tell.

Hi Everyone

Good News. I assembled everything last night. Went and got gas today.
Added sea foam to the gas and started it up. Ran pretty Good at idle.
Took it for a ride and Low and Behold - IT'S BACK TO TOP RUNNING CONDITION :cheerleader::thumbsup::beerchug:

I'm not sure if it was just one thing or a combination but it's running as good as new.

For the record, I DID NOT change the battery.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

lol...you will be changeing the battery soon!! though i am glad you got it running!

after reading this I'm gonna try this myself. I've ordered a new strainer. I'll be back for tips/help i'm sure lol

Back