The Rescued Bike: Progress thread

I'm hoping mine us just needing a filter, 12,500 miles without being changed might be a big part of it. With the new pump from eBay being only $85 I am going to go ahead and put one in while I have it all apart.

yeah, what year is it again? my 00 has a low end stumble. i know the external fuel pumps are a problem and what not. im in the process of running a tank of sea foam through it now & it seems to be alittle smoother.

what mods can you do to the pump to fix this?

the throttle is very sensative so i don't think it's the TPS. she stays right at 1000rpm too. (where i adjusted it)

I think every one of your posts that I've read has been a hijack of somebody elses thread. :hijack: :poke:

Play nice now. Lol. I don't mind people asking questions in my thread when they are kinda on the topic at hand. I've been there before and the only way to learn is to ask.

Rookie, check the TPS with the dealer plug like I said in the other thread, it's free and even though it seems right at idle it can still be off. If its set correctly then I'm at a loss as to why it's still stumbling at low end on your's.

Oh, on a side note...

If you own a early busa with a external pump and have to replace the return hose with a straight piece of regular fuel line temporarily, be sure it doesnt hang up on the air box and kink when you let the tank down. It will run great for about 2 miles and then you will look like a idiot sitting on the side of the road until a friend shows up with a allen wrench so you can get back under the tank. :stoopid:

Pre update to hopefully a great update:

I ordered and received all the orings, seals, and pump to do the fuel pump change and external filter mod and thanks to a little cool off I am about to tear into it. I read both threads on how to do them so hopefully it won't take too terribly long. I think I am going to clean all the screens I can and remove any that are really bad. I have a metal filter for the high pressure side and I am going to run a clear plastic one on the supply side of the housing as a pre filter. If everything works out my bike will be running in top form this evening. :please:

UPDATE:

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

New pump, filter, and hoses... I do believe its fixed!!! But now to the frustration. Took it down to the gas station, put 3/4 of a bottle of sea foam in it, the old filter literally had brown dirty gas coming out of it when I took it out, put about 3 gallons of 91 in her and went to blow the cob webs out. About oh I would say 2 miles later I caught some small metal object in the middle of the road and punched a hole in the rear pilot power that has about 100 miles on it. Now I need To wait till Tuesday and get another new back tire. Yay!

Well at least it seems to be running right.

Pic of the hole, right above the mark

View attachment 1559139

Went down and got a new tire yesterday, nothing like road racing 5 minutes across town before your tire goes flat lol. Tuns out I couldnt patch it even if I were dumb enough to, whatever I hit PUNCHED a hole in the tire as in not a clean puncture so it tore one of the cords in the process. I told my friend to just throw a patch in it and put it upstairs for the burn oput contest next year, I am getting my money out of that tire one way or another. :laugh: But on to the bike now, all I can say is take you time and check your work when going through a bike. I took the bike out for a little bit yesterday and it had this random turning off issue that wasnt there before, it would just die for no reason so I figured I didnt get a plug back together good. In the process of thinking about it today I realized I didnt hook the pair valve hose and crank vent hose back up either so I felt pretty stupid. I checked it today, fixed those problems, checked all the connections, noticed the air box didnt seat good, fixed it and away I went. The turning off problem seems to be gone and she is running like it came off the show room floor, smooth as hell and all the power in the world. I am loving this bike right now!

I have my fingers crossed this time... The stumble came back the other day for just a minute and not near as bad as it was. The random turning off was still showing up once in a while also so I torn back into her this evening. I went all out this time and pulled the screens out of the injectors and carefully plugged each plug back together and put each hose back on as she went back together. Usually it stumbles for a minute when its first started cold and I am not sure what happened this time but when I hit the starter button she fired up and sounded nasty, like she was ready to eat some pavement. The throttle response is bang on, no hesitation at all and she idles beautifully and all the stumble on the bottom end is gone so I am super happy at the moment. I rode around for 30 minutes or so with no problems at all, I even took her up pretty quickly to 120 without any sign of trouble. I do believe its time to let her out for a little run tonight, I am going to workout and then hit the road for a 50-100 mile trip to see how it does. I am off next weekend for my birthday and there appears to be a cool front moving in so if she is running good I plan to be on the road everyday. :thumbsup:

Just got back from the nice little night ride, 80-85 degrees out, not too many bugs and the wind was low. The bike did fantastic, smooth at any speed from 70 to 90 on the interstate and did 39mpg even with my goofing around on the throttle. My gearand I on the other hand need some work, the Shoei is past retirement age as I can feel it wanting to lift at speed and my tourmaster jacket is great on my Fury but I have lost a few pounds and the cut is a little long so its a little loose fitting on the Busa and flops around at highway speeds plus I have gotten use to the couch and cruisers so the first longer ride was a little rough on the knees. Now since I finally have the bike running good, I can start purchasing the fun stuff for the winter build. :D

Huge thanks to Joe (GSX1300R-T) for making the Buell Peg Mod super easy. I ordered a set from him late last week and to my surprise they showed up at my door today. I did the mod myself on my last Busa but his are super easy and look fantastic. I will say that his instructions are second to none for just about ANY motorcycle part, very detailed and very easy to follow. I am waiting on the big brown truck to show up with my Zero Gravity windscreen and I will throw up some pics. Thanks again Joe.

As for the bike stalling,, what is the idle set at?

Right around 1100. It didn't do it today so it could've been a fluke but I really won't know if/when it does it again.

Should be around 1250,

Hard braking under that it will stall!

Love seeing the bike come together...I too rescued a Busa...mine came from a battered home where she had been sitting for almost a year with out even being cranked once. I have spent all my money and time on getting her in the best running condition. Mechanically she is a good 9/9.5 out of 10. I still want to add new brake lines and such but she rides sooooo sweet now! It makes me laugh when you say you sneak in rides here and there and you find any excuse to ride her cause that's how I have been. I feel like I want to finish all the projects completely before riding her but here I am a year and a half later and I have not started on any appearance mods yet excpet for new mirrors. I too want to paint her because she has rashes, cracks, and scrapes all over the place. Luckily most of that is not super visible from a few feet away nor in pictures BUT I want her as "purty" as possible. Good luck to you man and I look forward to starting to make her look better then I can start my own thread of a rescued Busa. I have been taking pictures of everything that I have done so far so my "baby" album is started and growing. HAHAHAHA!!! :laugh:

Well the Busa did it again but I feel I am ignoring a obvious problem. This time I was cruising down the the road at about 60mph so the RPM was steady and above idle speeds (I did increase it to 1250) so that wasnt the problem. Bike cut out, clutched it, hit the starter a couple times and no re-fire, hit the red kill switch off then on and she fired back up no problem. I think the kill switch could VERY possibly be the problem, it has damage in the way of half of the red switch is gone allowing all the elements into the switch. Luckily I ordered a newer one in great condition from GoldenChild a while back and it looks like it is time to install it.

Just another side note which could totally be coincidence, it only seems to shut off when the tank gets to about 1/4 tank or just under. If I fill it up I have no problem until it gets to this point again and it will shut off. ???

Back