Syria?

I don't think so. If we were tracking the chemical weapons deployment systems, that would be cause for an immediate JDAM. But we don't HAVE that intel yet, so an immediate strike would do nothing BUT inflame EVERYBODY. If evidence exists, it will create time to build a consensus. Because it's not the weapons we are going to bomb, it's going to hopefully be whatever camel Assad happens to be hiding under at the time. I suspect the #1 target to track at the moment is ASSAD himself; NOT the weapons. Now, if we get intel that it's about to happen again, and can pinpoint the weapons, Weapons free.....

Edit: In fact, if he'd HAD that intel, I'd have fired missile first, notified Congress afterwards. But he didn't. This isn't a precision strike to take out a single target, but a more general military action to 'punish' Assad for using these weapons. So, they don't HAVE a single target at the moment....

Im sorry Sky but there are several things wrong with your argument. #1 is that you would not drop a JDAM on chemical weapons systems without knowing whether there were Chem weapons on those systems. There is no way to know if they were carrying chems or not and if you hit them with a large explosive you would disperse the chems effectively doing what Assad is doing, killing numbers of civi's in the process.

#2 is that Assad in the process of moving his weapons systems, particularly artillery battery's that would launch those weapons, will not be taken out into the desert. They will be put in the most populated areas to make collateral damage from a missile strike more likely thus inflaming the population against the U.S.

#3 I dont claim to know the intel we have nor can you possibly know it in your position. I do know that an action to "punish" Assad that has minimal effect on The regime in a military sense is in fact no punishment at all, but retaliation against Israel by either Syria or Iran that drags us into a regional war is far worse punishment to our nation than the Enemy in the region. It might make Obama feel better that he did something but the repercussions of a delayed action like this is is far worse than any damage we can do to Assads regime from a standoff position with precision strikes. If anything was done to depose Assad it should have started 2 years ago when it might have been viable with limited strikes, a no fly zone and arming the rebels before Al Qaeda, Hezbollah and Ansar Al Sharia got involved.

Answer me this, If we do kill Assad now who gets the rest of the estimated 1000 tons of chems he has? We would need boots on the ground to secure those weapons before any of the bad actors that are currently entrenched in the battle zone can get to them. Are you willing to take that chance? How long will it take congress to debate that action?

Our Current administration has not Earned the Right to be the Bad Asses of the world like during the Reagan Administration. Obama should have just done it if his heart was in the right place. But it is Not !! Again we are the Laughing Stock of the world. Chemical Weapons are a NO NO !! Being a Leader is a Tough Job only Set Up for a Chosen Few !!!

Robert

"God Help us All"

The easy answer here is to STAY THE F OUT of Syria!

We bomb what? Whom? When? Where?
We bomb from above and who does Assad seek revenge on?
We will not be there to defend the ones having said revenge thrust upon them.
We bomb chem weapons and do what, spread it all over the places? So then what these areas breed physical defects for decades in babies? We attack what?

This is a fantasy if anyone thinks a total all out invasion by USA will do anything but anger a hornets nest.

One more time we are being drawn into a conflict to secure Israel.
How much more money and American blood are we willing to give for them?

Let Syria be and let them take care of itself and let the same be done for Israel.
I'm so tired of havin to fear things that do not threaten USA at all.

Fact is if USA had stayed out of Syria the conflict would already be over.
Only thru our covert efforts and support has the revolution continued.
Assad is almost done with crushing the revolt and here we come.

Does anyone here know that the Assad family has fought against Al Qaeda and its extremes for decades?
Anyone here realize Syrian govt has protected Christians and other religions from extremist?
Anyone realize in Syria right now under Assad there is freedom of religion, women can vote and attain govt positions.
Anyone realize that Syria is one of the most free Arab societies in the world?

Have any of you who advocates killing Assad or attacking his regime even read a history book on Syria, ever been there or ANYTHING?!?!

The resounding answer I bet is no?

This is a personal and conflicting issue I have now. Syria needs to be free but that freedom needs to come at the hands of Syrians and not anyone else. PERIOD.

If we ever have conflict here how will any of you feel to hear or read outside nations are considering attacking Washington? How will you feel when foreign press paints this nation and our leaders as thugs and advocates the assassination of them?

You want to unite the opposing forces in Syria faster than anything start dropping bombs.
Our own plans are to possibly attack both sides if need be? This is absolute lunacy we are considering.

The day my country bombs my country I will cry....

The Assad attack is out of the question and planning. Our laws prohibit direct targeting a Countries Leaders unless they have DIRECTLY attacked the U.S. :rulez: . So this targeting of Assad is out. There is no way this administration would take the heat :lala: from the UN, much less Russia, Iran and China. Remember, this is the Guy that's bringing back Love :inlove: and Respect for
the U. S. all over the World :whistle: . Especially the Middle East :laugh: .

US 'considering military force in Syria' - Telegraph

Quoted from Gen Dempseys plan:

The Pentagon constantly updates military options for the White House. But Gen Dempsey's comments were the clearest yet that it is deliberating a direct intervention into the bloody conflict.

Those options would include missile strikes on key regime infrastructure, including chemical weapons sites, imposing no-fly zones or a ground invasion. Another course of action would be drone attacks against rebels linked to al-Qaeda if the administration decided to strike on both sides of the conflict.

Sheer lunacy we think about when we speak of attacking both sides?
Wtf are we thinking?

want to know the real reason we are doing what we are doing.....

One more time we are being drawn into a conflict to secure Israel.
How much more money and American blood are we willing to give for them?

Let Syria be and let them take care of itself and let the same be done for Israel.
I'm so tired of havin to fear things that do not threaten USA at all.
first off Israel is an ally of ours Syria is not. second, Israel does a lot for our country Syria does nothing. I agree that we shud stay the hell out of Syria but if someone attacks Israel you can bet that we will defend them as we shud!

Israel plays a huge role in any military conflict we might have in that region if necessary by having somewhere to land our planes and troops safely so stop comparing Israel to Syria cause there is absolutely ZERO comparison in any way, shape or form. and the Israeli's dont gas each other over their religious beliefs. their actually civilized unlike the Syrians who want to wage a civil war and drop saron gas on each other.

its the MUSLIMS of the middle east that want to fight everyone over their ridiculous jahid.

US 'considering military force in Syria' - Telegraph

Quoted from Gen Dempseys plan:

Sheer lunacy we think about when we speak of attacking both sides?
Wtf are we thinking?

My question is still, WHY do we (alone) have to do ANYTHING ! Surly you don't think the Rebels haven't killed old men, women and children. We already know a faction has de-headed Priest and Christians for the unbelievable crime of being NON-ISLAMIC ! I still think we should just LEAVE them alone and let them handle THEIR problem. After all, neither side likes us at all (OH yeah, except for our $$$$$$$$ ). They are not worth ONE American Life, unless of course it's yours and you want to volunteer to go and fight for and with the Rebels :dunno:. If so, go get'em :firing::deadhorse::martin::fight:

Saiid, I could have sworn a few months ago you were all for intervention...did I miss something?

The US has no strategic interest here. If the French (who do) want to intervene, let them. If the Arab League (who does) let them intervene. I don't see how getting involved with Shia vs. Sunni does anything for the US.

Chris, I watched that video......interesting....but I can't believe ANYBODY would want a full out war - It's bad for business (for the loser)..

Keith, no I never was for intervention. Only a solution formed by the Syrians themselves.
DaCol for sure the rebels are responsible for heinous acts same as Assad. Very same folks we fought in Afg we now move to support in Syria. It makes no sense?
Brett at no point ever did I compare Syria to Israel? Simply said I'm tired of USA foreign policy in the area being dictated by Israeli needs and interests.
The word is SHOULD not Shud? The more I read from you the more I seriously doubt you are in any professional position.
It is impossible for me to imagine what one of your reports read like?

Does anyone here actually think Assad would invite UN inspectors there in an effort to show no chemical weapons are being used and then use one only blocks away from where those inspectors are staying?
Murderer yes, guilty of waging war on his own people yes, but stupid enough to use the very weapon which would bring the world upon him right in front of our noses, c'mon?

If you can't see the setup there than I don't know what to say.

What's funny (not), is that this administration is using the same playbook to start a war in Syria, that they screamed bloody murder about claiming GWB did, which exposes them as they hypocrites they are...

Saiid, no offense intended hope you didn't take it that way. I know you have family there caught in the middle of it.

No offense taken? Didn't even notice any?

I do have family there. But no matter how long the bread lines get all to a one are still proudly saying they don't want any help from anyone.

Keith, no I never was for intervention. Only a solution formed by the Syrians themselves.
DaCol for sure the rebels are responsible for heinous acts same as Assad. Very same folks we fought in Afg we now move to support in Syria. It makes no sense?
Brett at no point ever did I compare Syria to Israel? Simply said I'm tired of USA foreign policy in the area being dictated by Israeli needs and interests.
The word is SHOULD not Shud? The more I read from you the more I seriously doubt you are in any professional position.
It is impossible for me to imagine what one of your reports read like?
lmao Saiid. its internet shrthand so try to keep up bud. again, we have a great interest in the safety and security of Israel. we only have 6 ally's in the middle east Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Afghanistan, Israel, Kuwait, and Morocco. it behooves us protect Israel even if ppl like you dont care for the jews.

Back