Splitting Traffic

I like turtles...
I like sheep
laugh.gif
whistling.gif

Glad to know I am not the only one.
I only do it when alone or with other riders who feel comfortable doing it.

Like it was said earlier speeding is illegal too. I am pretty sure anyone that owns rides or wishes they had a busa has been guilty of speeding. If you own one and don't speed well I think you might be fibbing a little bit.
I do not have the patience and always as envious of the freedom of two wheelers when I was strictly a cager. Now when I am caging it and traffic is horrible I feel myself dreaming of cruising between the cars and getting in the open.
As far as making them mad who cares you are by them before they realize it and between traffic and well you owning a Busa I do not think you have to worry about him catching you.

on occasion. Not a really big fan. I'll usually wait for a turn lane or a crack to jump thru

I do it getting through traffic to a red light or stop sign.

I also do it going the 'speed of traffic' down the freeway.

If, for example, traffic is going 80mph, and I'm going (fill in the blank with something faster), then splitting the cages actually seems quite safe. Both cages (presumably) know that the other cage is there, so if you take a fraction of a split second to advance your causes, the people that used to be behind you really appreciate the extra space you've just created!

I do not condone this activity. It is unsafe (more than likely illegal everywhere) and you will be punished (somehow) if caught.
Remember: Always split the lanes stealthfully yet safely!

I do it getting through traffic to a red light or stop sign.  

I also do it going the 'speed of traffic' down the freeway.  

If, for example, traffic is going 80mph, and I'm going (fill in the blank with something faster), then splitting the cages actually seems quite safe.  Both cages (presumably) know that the other cage is there, so if you take a fraction of a split second to advance your causes, the people that used to be behind you really appreciate the extra space you've just created!

I do not condone this activity.  It is unsafe (more than likely illegal everywhere) and you will be punished (somehow) if caught.
Remember:  Always split the lanes stealthfully yet safely!
Of course its illegal everywhere. Its reckless riding and shouldn't be encouraged or condoned.
thumb_down.gif

In Los Angeles, its safer in HEAVY traffic than staying in your own lane. Cagers in LA expect motorcycles to split and even move over to give your more space when they see you coming. In 3 years of commuting to work everyday(except rain), I only ran into cagers trying to block or wreck you VERY rarely, like maybe 2 or 3 times. CHP motorcycles split lanes all the time as well, they have even moved over for me and waved me by on numerous occasions(sport bikes are narrower and can get through holes the wide CHP bikes can't). Keep in mind that we are talking about safe lane sharing, ie only 5-15mph faster than traffic.

What isn't safe about staying in your lane, getting rear ended. Can't see it coming(or else your not watching the road) and it won't be pretty.

The key the is riding safely when lane sharing.

Of course the safest way is to NOT even be in traffic.

The 1 crash that happened to me that involved another car, happened when I wasn't splitting. I was completely in my own lane and a suburban changed lanes into me. Even being in my own lane wasn't enough time to react and avoid it.

Also, safe lane splitting is not swerving back and forth. Each time you cross the line you are technically making an unsafe lane change if you didn't signal for the required time. That will get the cops attention swerving back and forth.

Yea, I've done it, but you gotta be REAL careful here in New York. Cagers call the cops or worse yet, do "get even" things. Like opening their door just before you pass. A little nuts here!!!!

In Los Angeles, its safer in HEAVY traffic than staying in your own lane.  Cagers in LA expect motorcycles to split and even move over to give your more space when they see you coming.  In 3 years of commuting to work everyday(except rain), I only ran into cagers trying to block or wreck you VERY rarely, like maybe 2 or 3 times.  CHP motorcycles split lanes all the time as well, they have even moved over for me and waved me by on numerous occasions(sport bikes are narrower and can get through holes the wide CHP bikes can't).  Keep in mind that we are talking about safe lane sharing, ie only 5-15mph faster than traffic.

What isn't safe about staying in your lane, getting rear ended.  Can't see it coming(or else your not watching the road) and it won't be pretty.

The 1 crash that happened to me that involved another car, happened when I wasn't splitting.  I was completely in my own lane and a suburban changed lanes into me. Even being in my own lane wasn't enough time to react and avoid it.
I highly agree w/Charles

Splitting is not only recommended, but is highly a KEY TO YOUR SURVIVAL. I did it all the time too, but never anything more than 15 mph faster than the flow of traffic. Once traffic parks, (i.e. 405, 10 etc...) split central. You don't want to do it in an unsafe manner where it looks totally obvious to LEO's that you're being unsafe.

But, I too, found it WAY SAFER splitting rather than being in my own lane waiting for some dumbf*&k to rearend me or purposely try and take me out b/c of some vandetta against motorcyclists.

In Los Angeles, its safer in HEAVY traffic than staying in your own lane.  Cagers in LA expect motorcycles to split and even move over to give your more space when they see you coming.  In 3 years of commuting to work everyday(except rain), I only ran into cagers trying to block or wreck you VERY rarely, like maybe 2 or 3 times.  CHP motorcycles split lanes all the time as well, they have even moved over for me and waved me by on numerous occasions(sport bikes are narrower and can get through holes the wide CHP bikes can't).  Keep in mind that we are talking about safe lane sharing, ie only 5-15mph faster than traffic.

What isn't safe about staying in your lane, getting rear ended.  Can't see it coming(or else your not watching the road) and it won't be pretty.

The 1 crash that happened to me that involved another car, happened when I wasn't splitting.  I was completely in my own lane and a suburban changed lanes into me. Even being in my own lane wasn't enough time to react and avoid it.
Bump that, Charles...San Diego, in some areas at some times of the day, is becoming much like LA (most areas, often random but mostly predictable times of the day).

One of the biggest joys of riding, for me, is the perpetual, multi-dimensional decision-making that is required to simply stay alive...then we get out to the country and canyons where there are fewer obstacles/hazards, better lean angles, quaint mom-and-pop restaurants and massive mountainsides to enjoy.

I never did it until I moved to CA. Now I've got a 50 mile commute from Fairfield to South San Francisco, and I split lanes almost the whole way. It takes me about 50-55 minutes on average, and is actually quite safe and predictable is done properly. I bought a Honda 599 which I use for commuting, and it is perfect for splitting even the tightest gaps. I usually take the Busa on Fridays to change things up a bit, but the Turbo is too tempting to play with in the heavy traffic. I agree that I feel safer always moving instead of exposing myself to a possible rear-end accident if I'm sitting still in a lane. I always ride with my brights on, and pick a lane and stick with it. (usually the gap alongside the left-most lane.) Accidents happen when a rider gets impatient with a slower rider in the gap and they choose to cut across several lanes to find another gap. It's harder to check your mirrors for hazards while at the same time watching for sudden braking in front of you. Also, a rider should only go as fast as they feel comfortable for the conditions, type of bike, traffic volume, etc. Some won't split faster than 25 mph. Good for them if that is where they feel safest. 50 mph is my threshold. I just focus like a laserbeam on the cars in front, anticipating there moves before they even know what they will do. The 599 is so light and quick I can will it to go just about anywhere in a moments notice, so I'm usually ready as soon as a non-attentive cager makes a dumb move with looking or signaling. It seems dangerous at first, but as others have already said, the cars are used to it and most will move over to let you by.

Never did it till I moved to Cali. Now I do it everytime I ride. Cant't help it most time, hey I live in San Diego, it is a natural thing to me now. Like Charlesbusa said most time law enforcement ( CHP, Sheriffs or local PD's) on mototrcycles just move over. Done right, it's fun. I don't think the people doing it here are reckless either. We are, as well as the people here are used to it and accept it for the most part.

I do it EVERYDAY ! and have never been hit by a car. Cars here KNOW bikes will be there, yes some times the azz dosent look but Ive had bikes change lanes on me with out looking too.

Back