Splitting Traffic?

OB_GoBig

Registered
Reading your recently locked thread I came to realize you are one soft group of riders, giving someone props for splitting traffic? calling it a Big Move? wow, you all need to get out and ride sometime. Splitting traffic is a fundamental move, it's like turning and breaking.

Well I'm just glad your all ok, and it looks like lantabusa learned a thing or two over on our gutter site. (like how to ride a bike)

props for splitting traffic, geessssh
GoBig BAA

Best ticket I had(several for spiltting lanes was on the 110 south bound rush hour during on radar 115 and followed by the man himself on a wobblaski police 1000 after being handcuffed and threaten by Mr. big bad badge, I told him he was a n A- hole for following me(Lame cop)

GSXRN99 and myself were able to average 138mph on the 405 (you know what that looks like any time of day)

What $hit , not even worth mentioning back @ the gutter site, but amongst these girl scouts with Busas... look out!

(mental note: no swearing in front of the kids)

[This message has been edited by GoBig (edited 24 June 2000).]

it helps on the track also. If i ever go back to Portland I'm going to be one big moving violation. Somthing these girls know NOTHING about.

[This message has been edited by GoBig (edited 24 June 2000).]

As a Messenger in So Cal,I have to split lanes all the time.I see other bikers in traffic refusing to split for some reason or another,I myself cant think of one good reason not to split.I figgure if you are that uneasy riding around cars maybe carpooling would be a better choice for them.Personal best for me is from Century City to Downtown in 11 mins.That is from Century park East and Olympic to the court on Hill and First.

that's the best job to learn how to ride in traffic. I did it for a year before they locked my up for 10 days in county for driving.

Hay why don't these girls respond? I guess I must be right,bitches!

Tagged a soccer mom's right mirror with my left mirror last week, on the way to work. I don't like to make contact, but she crowded me. She was probably going 20, I was around 50. So sorry, lady.

i think it is pretty much illegal in every state to split cars.???? all it takes is some big balls to split about 8 cars on each side. one thing i learned is its usually safer to go through realllly fast instead of slow. almost been hit a few times.

It IS leagal in CA. Just a few simple rules.
1- no speed greater than 35 MPH
2- no faster than 10MPH than the car you are passing.

[This message has been edited by Johnnycheese (edited 25 June 2000).]

CuriousMike,
Where in the bay area? I live in Suisun City (near Fairfield) and ride to either Novato (Marin County) or Napa daily. Blue/Silver here.
-Dave

Being a 24/7 rider up here in the Bay Area, if you don't split, you're a frickin' idiot.
The traffic is immense, and it's getting worse.
When it comes time to see what the bike costs me per year to run, I'm sure to add in another $30 for mirrors... TANG!
TACK!
BWAP!
I love that sensation when you KNOW you're squeezing real close (the bridge is the worst.. it is TIGHT)... "God, if I'm gonna hit something hard, make it the clutch... not the front brake..."

King Atlas,
I grew up in Suisun City!
All my family is still there + FF + Vacaville.
I reside in Newark/Fremont now... my commute is 880/84/101 to Redwood City.
I spent 5+ years doing 880->237 ... from Fremont to Milpitas (880) was the single worst traffic mess ever.

Us bay area dudes need to hook up and do some rides... Suisun Valley Road out to Lake Berryessa and beyond always works.

I just did 350 miles yesterday with friends around 121/128... out to 101, and did 3, yes 3, passes on Skaggs Springs (by Lake Sonoma.)
That road is so perfect, it's freeking scary... "I'm really hanging it out here..."
Then, we got pummeled with traffic on 1, and even worse heading east back to 101.

I was wrecked... sore arms, wrists, back, legs, *** ... dear god. You can only do so much passing on blind corner after blind corner!

Love CALIF perfectly legal here! Would die without it! JC your right about the legal crap, but I never pay attention, never had a problem from any cops out here about it. Maybe if you guys in the states that don't allow it should get your local motorcycle legal experts to work on changing your local laws or write to the AMA about it they have lots of lobbyist. Reasons in Calif why its legal are..most rear end accidents happen at slow speeds in conjested traffic,bikers have no protect from being squashed, and i believe years ago when these laws were originally written alot of bikes then including the cops where air cooled, so they couldn't stop in traffic,or they'd overheat, i think alot of CHP bikes back then blew up. Not 100% sure, but that's what i heard.

Yes that is what I was told.
Too much political B/S here to get something like that passed and with an open container law I think a beer can throw out the window would suuck

Try splitting lanes in Houston,and see how long you live.People don't give any indication of what they are about to do.
I've seen people exit freeways from the left hand lanes at least once a week.Most of them could care less if there is another car besides them,much less an "invisible" motorcycle.
People in Texas aren't as aware of motorcyclists as Californians are.
I may be a "soft motorcyclist" as one of the "HUNS" from the Labusas site says.But,better to be soft and alive than hard edged and dead.
I'm confident in the skills that I've developed over the years of riding(motorcyclist's ESP).You learn to see most of it coming,but like the saying goes"it's the ones you don't that get you"
B21

That's one rough thing about moving out of California (to Atlanta) . . . the traffic here warrants lane splitting, though the laws are against it. It's one of the big things I miss from Cali.

Odd thing though. I-285 has some really skinny lanes. Someone said they forced an extra lane if to accomodate the traffic back when the Olympics were held here. I don't know if he was blowing smoke or if that's really the case. San Diego's I-15 had a lot more room for splitting. I especially liked the hole between lanes 1 and 2 as the cars in lane 1 usually hugged the outside line.

Back