Splitting lanes...

BurbankBusaBoy

Registered
When splitting the #1 and #2 lane in bumper to bumper traffic, do you ever have people that close the gap on you? Its almost like they are jealous or something and it upsets them that you are able to split lanes.....what do you guys and gals think, is it just that they dont see you or maybe cannot drive in a straight line? A lot of times they are on the cell phone so i try and stay away from these people. Im just wondering if this is something more sinister like, are they trying to kill me? Some people (probably motorcyclists themselves) open the gap up all wide, i always wave to these people cause i think thats super kewl of them to do. But these other people that close in on you are mostly the elderly and woman id say 40yr's+. Ive always just split lanes but is it illegal? I was once told it was perfectly legal here in California but still would like a second opion....

Topic#2 (You guys catch the new show SUPERBIKES on SPEED channel? They were riding my canyons! There was even a shot of them sittin in the jack in the box parking lot.......and they all got tickets =), i couldnt tell where though maybe the 2 or 210?)

I've been super busy lately and havent had time to come through here ina while. Cap, i have a donation with busa.org's name on it! I just need to put some money in my paypal account =). I hope you are all having a good summer and keepin the shiny side up....BBB

I have noticed that it usaly happens when they are looking at me in thier mirrior. It's like the turn the wheel just a little bit when they lean over and that cuases them to drift into the gap.

When splitting the #1 and #2 lane in bumper to bumper traffic, do you ever have people that close the gap on you?  Its almost like they are jealous or something and it upsets them that you are able to split lanes.....what do you guys and gals think, is it just that they dont see you or maybe cannot drive in a straight line?  A lot of times they are on the cell phone so i try and stay away from these people.  Im just wondering if this is something more sinister like, are they trying to kill me?  Some people (probably motorcyclists themselves) open the gap up all wide, i always wave to these people cause i think thats super kewl of them to do.  But these other people that close in on you are mostly the elderly and woman id say 40yr's+. Ive always just split lanes but is it illegal?  I was once told it was perfectly legal here in California but still would like a second opion....

Topic#2 (You guys catch the new show SUPERBIKES on SPEED channel?  They were riding my canyons!  There was even a shot of them sittin in the jack in the box parking lot.......and they all got tickets =), i couldnt tell where though maybe the 2 or 210?)

I've been super busy lately and havent had time to come through here ina while. Cap, i have a donation with busa.org's name on it!  I just need to put some money in my paypal account =).  I hope you are all having a good summer and keepin the shiny side up....BBB
Yes, perfectly legal in California done safely. Been splitting for years. Idiots have moved to close gap so I just go around in lane or wait a few seconds until a gap opens up. I really enjoy seeing a car close gap on leo. They get the riot act when cop goes by. Puts a smile on my face every time.
smile.gif

I have noticed that it usaly happens when they are looking at me in thier mirrior. It's like the turn the wheel just a little bit when they lean over and that cuases them to drift into the gap.
+1

I have had a few purposely close the gap though.  In their zest to make sure I don't split and pass them they over commit and I split the other side.  They've already pulled so close to the vehicle in front of them (at a light) that they cannot do anything to close the gap on the other side unless they shift into reverse to get some room.......bye-bye.

<!--EDIT|BiG-T
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152215228 -->

I thought that it was not legal nor illegal in the state of California. I think the vehicle code does not make reference to two vehicles occupying the same lane.

I usually get the ones that wanna block my pathway, so what I do is simply go around them shake my head in disgust.

I missed the debut on the show, my stupid sat systems was down for the count...

BBB, when are we gonna hook up for riding?

Nelson

please define your definition of splitting- you are talking like sharing a lane. This was a BIG debate a while ago.

Most drivers don't have a clue that your approaching, the drifting over is because they aren't paying attention.

It is legal to lane share in California. Lane splitting is tolerated because its almost the same thing.

Some of the drift could be target fixation, they look at you and start moving in that direction without realizing.

Most of it is just cell-phone yakking, inattentive idiots though...

Back