Snakes as pets, who's got em?

snakeyezzz

Registered
Please post pics if you have them. Just wondering if me and BigD are the only ones? Here's a pic of my baby coral phase albino boa.

CIMG2783.JPG

close as i can get to that is two freeze dried ones. one rattler and one cobra.

the albino looks good, if i had one that would be it.

Here is one of my green burmese. When we sold her she was 12' 6" long and weighed around 150lbs. I was the only one that could pics her up.

olive_7_22_02.jpg

I never had the desire to own a snake. I would be afraid it would get out in the middle of the night.

We used to have snakes including a Burmese very much like the monster in the pic Snakey posted above! Need to get back into it, I think. It's a really cool litle hobby.

--Wag--

I like to look at them. But that about it for me. Thats a beautiful burmese though. I definately like the pics and I'd like to see more.

My wife had 2. One she used to keep in her sports bra while she would go shopping and stuff...and it would scare the hell outta people when he poked his head out. Then one night, he up and left...crawled out of her bed (why she was sleeping with it....I DONT KNOW) and never came back. Her roommates where not too happy with that. Then she got another one and while I was holding it, IT BIT ME.

It had to go. I didnt want it to be around our newborn...

I've had a few .....my mom got me into it .....Can't post pics 'cause my scanner is broke .
sad.gif
Had 1 pink tail boa and also a ball python . At some point they always seem to get too big to handle . When they're large and decide to wrap up on something , you can't get them off without hurting the snake . Is it just me..... but they always seemed kinda bitchy when they were shedding?

I've had many over the years including a big Burmese similar to Snakeyezzz beauty. Once the kids came along, I unloaded it and went a little more conservative in size choices.

We currently have this Redtail Boa as our family pet. Here I am as my daughter's show-and-tell surprise.

snake1.jpg

dont keep em as pets but I am the snake catcher at work we are infested with rattlers mostly I get about 30 calls each summer and can see as many as 20 snakes in 30 minuets laying out in the road after the sun gos down

Dave_s_barn_253__2_.jpg

i THINK THE THING THAT SCARES THE HELL OUTTA ME ABOUT SNAKES IS THAT I HAVE KNOW WAY TO TELL HOW THEY ARE FEELING. THE "UNPREDICTABILITY FACTOR" IS JUST MORE THAN I CAN HANDLE. I WANT TO LIKE THEM BUT I JUST CANT GET OVER THAT.

(RCKTMAN @ Dec. 25 2006,12:26) i THINK THE THING THAT SCARES THE HELL OUTTA ME ABOUT SNAKES IS THAT I HAVE KNOW WAY TO TELL HOW THEY ARE FEELING. THE "UNPREDICTABILITY FACTOR" IS JUST MORE THAN I CAN HANDLE. I WANT TO LIKE THEM BUT I JUST CANT GET OVER THAT.
Very legitimate concern. Snakes have no feelings whatsoever and they are driven purely by instinct. At least with a dog, they have a display of emotion which can make them predictable to a degree.

With snakes, you work in probabilities. Has it been a while since he ate? You could get bitten. You change your handling routine and heighten your awareness of it. Is it a breed that has a nasty temper? Again, you adjust accordingly. Shedding or about to shed? They can't see and they may attack. Big snake? You simply don't let 'em throw a coil around you, especially around your neck. They are ferociously stronger than any human alive and once you're wrapped, it's for good.

With snakes, it's about edumacating yourself about their care and handling and making sure you don't do anything stupid as you care for them. They are not pets, by any stretch. Some snakes are more docile than others. Rosy boas and rubber snakes are probably the best snakes to have as "pets" because they prefer to just coil up in a shirt pocket (or bra!
biggrin.gif
) and hang out there undisturbed. Others are fast movers and once you lose one under a couch, good luck getting them back! Garter snakes and racers are in this category. Some snakes are somewhere in the middle such as corn snakes.

Keeping snakes is a study in the beauty of an animal. Nothing more. Some people keep poisonous snakes but it requires the height of caution and education in order to do so without getting hurt or allowing a loved one to get hurt. I have a friend who is a herpetologist and keeps rattlers, coral snakes and others I don't even know the name of. He and his family never got hurt but it's not something I'm about to do!

Just rambling. I love snakes and I'll have another one some day.

--Wag--

(RCKTMAN @ Dec. 25 2006,11:26) i THINK THE THING THAT SCARES THE HELL OUTTA ME ABOUT SNAKES IS THAT I HAVE KNOW WAY TO TELL HOW THEY ARE FEELING. THE "UNPREDICTABILITY FACTOR" IS JUST MORE THAN I CAN HANDLE. I WANT TO LIKE THEM BUT I JUST CANT GET OVER THAT.
with the poisonous ones you have to treat them like a loaded gun that is understand their environment and how they operate in it on the warmer days rattlers are noticeable quicker on the strike and if hes been disturbed and your in range you will never react in time to move their strike is lighting fast

sometimes a snake will just be as mellow as a kitten and other times a rattler will be locked and loaded before ya get 10 feet from him

its just how aware the snake was at the time you approach it if its warm and you step heavy he feels your vibration alot of quick movement and he alerts even more and chances go up he will fire

I also find that in early spring when they become active again they are very hesitant to use venom when they do strike its a valued item while they are on the hunt

we have had rattle snakes everywhere here at work since the place opened in 1952 and only two people have ever been bitten but I know what ya mean they can give ya a scare when your not ready for it

(Saxoplay @ Dec. 25 2006,13:02) Couldn't imagine having a snake as a pet!
I bet if you thought about it REALLY hard you could conjure up that image.

Give a try!
biggrin.gif

(Gives ya shivers, eh?!!)

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

biggrin.gif

Back