What i have been up to lately

SPEEDEMON

Donating Member
Registered
So after my last post of new stuff on my bike and me buying an Sv650 and even more recently a Yamaha v-star (see links below) I needed a break from bikes, I am really happy with my busa and if I am gonna spend money on a bike its gonna be the busa, not the other bikes, so I needed a break from the bikes...
I was always curious about snakes but I really didn’t know anything about them.
So a few weeks ago my wife and I go into a local pet store for some supplies for my fish aquariums and we were looking at the snakes they had there, I go over to one of the guys working there and I ask him to educate me on snakes...
To make a long story short I was intrigued and begged the wife to let me get a snake, the worker pointed out a good snake for beginners, even though it does grow quite large, but the wife said no...
We went home and I gave her the old guilt trip but nothing was working.
the following day she goes "grocery shopping" and when she gets back asks me for some help to unload the car, what does she hand me...?
A beautiful specimen of an Amazonian red tail boa constrictor, 2 months old, he was around 200 bucks! But well worth it.
needless to say I was psyched, anyway I have been busy spending time with it, it seems very docile, and like I said b4 will grow big, about 10 feet long and 6-7" round and somewhere between 65-80 lbs, luckily I have plenty of room for it.
I fed it a mouse this past Sunday and it ate it alive, you could still see it kicking inside the snake, it was like watching the discovery channel right in my room, it’s been a while since I found something so fascinating!
Here are some pics...

The first pic of him, all 18" ;)

HPIM1524.jpg

Him going into his cave in his temp small home

HPIM1526.jpg

Now here is a pic of his new home, I bet you can’t find him, haha

HPIM1539.jpg

Here are a few pics of him on the log

HPIM1541.jpg

Another

HPIM1544.jpg

Last pic of his face

HPIM1547.jpg

And that’s about it; I was pretty bored so I posted this, Enjoy.
If you got any Q's let me know!

Sweet lookin' serp.
beerchug.gif
I've always wanted a snake, too. Just never took the time to learn enough about them to decide whether I *REALLY* wanted one or not.

yep i was the same way and i really neede a break from everything else and am happy i ended up gettin him, but you have to be able to take time to spend with it, othrwise they will get pretty vicious, not too mention having an appropriate place to house him.
other wise they are pretty simple and easy to take care of!

I am not a fan of snakes. Mostly because I don't know too much about them, but I'd rather not be anywhere near them unless they are behind glass! The thought of what some snakes can do is unreal.

yes, they normally seems docile.

However animal behaviorists’ have discovered that with the red tailed boa constrictor, what is perceived as docile as actually a very cunning ploy while the snake analyzes its food source..

The more docile they become with a person, that person is what is perceived by the snake as a very highly probable future food source when it grows bigger.

You will find the more time you spend with the snake, the more hungry you will seem to be.. This is the snakes pheromones being released that makes you hungry so you will eat more so when it is time for the snake to eat they will have a good meal (same concept as us fatening up pigs)

Nice looking boa.. good luck with that….

However animal behaviorists’ have discovered that with the red tailed boa constrictor, what is perceived as docile as actually a very cunning ploy while the snake analyzes its food source..

The more docile they become with a person, that person is what is perceived by the snake as a very highly probable future food source when it grows bigger.

You will find the more time you spend with the snake, the more hungry you will seem to be.. This is the snakes pheromones being released that makes you hungry so you will eat more so when it is time for the snake to eat they will have a good meal (same concept as us fatening up pigs)

Are you serious? That's interesting if you're not joking!

Relsek is a bit of a whizz on snakes..

He broke the first one and lost the second one..
tounge.gif

Cool snake..My son loves them..
cool.gif

to say the least is this snake will be very powerfull when fully grown, and can easily take down a full grown man and swollow him with no prob...and the simple fact is he is an animal like all other animals, we know how they generaly act, but never really know what they are thinking or what they might do.
for e.g. i own and work in a dog kennel, i deal with thousands of dogs, to say the least i can tell what a dog is 'prob' thinking just by lookin at its eyes and understand far more than what other ppl will, at the same time i know that even as sure i am that a dog is a nice one it could change at any sec without warning.
they are animals from the wild and in a perfect world should be left there, but the worlds not perfect and having this snake is a risk like having a dog, yeah dogs are more comman, but i know dogs who have killed for no apperent reason...do we still take the risk...you bet, bec if you have a good dog its one of the best companions you will have your entire life!
i am not saying the snake is as safe as a dog but with the right caution and comman sense they will do no one any harm, most of the time. a risk i am willing to take.
btw i have done a lot of reaserch on this snake and a lot of other snakes recently and have yet to find any info like you say, i am not discrediting you, bec you might very well be right and know a lot more than i do, but if you have a source for it i would be interested!

I am not a fan of snakes.  Mostly because I don't know too much about them, but I'd rather not be anywhere near them unless they are behind glass!  The thought of what some snakes can do is unreal.
Yes, they can do serious damage. I would NEVER own one either. Especially one that grows to that size. No thanks.
crazy.gif

Speedmon... I've had lots of snakes, 4 different types of boa's, various "local" snakes, skinks, iguana's, and now a Bearded Dragon. Feel free to ping me if you have any questions.

Pretty girls you got in that house, take good care of both. The boa needs a stable temp. so watch the hot side as well as the cold or she'll get a respiratory infection, not fun. Make sure the food is well fed as well. ...and, of course play with her daily.

cool.gif

I've always been a big fan of snakes and just like BT, I've put off getting one for a long time. Never been scared of them though.

Awesome animals but wifey says no. I wonder why.

Cool of your wife to do that for ya

snake1__2_.jpg

Loved having snakes. They are so cool to just sit back and watch. Good luck.
smile.gif

Speedmon... I've had lots of snakes, 4 different types of boa's, various "local" snakes, skinks, iguana's, and now a Bearded Dragon.  Feel free to ping me if you have any questions.

Pretty girls you got in that house, take good care of both.  The boa needs a stable temp. so watch the hot side as well as the cold or she'll get a respiratory infection, not fun.  Make sure the food is well fed as well.  ...and, of course play with her daily.

cool.gif
thanx for the offer i will prob be ask some quesions when i have them.
i got a thermostat for the terrarium and put the senser by the water dish in the cool end of the tank, set to about 82-84 which turns on and off ceramic heaters above, on the other side there is a spot lamp, on a timer and a heat mat under the cave, it stays about 100 there.
the only thing i am having a hard time with is keeping the humidity levels up, they are staying around 35%-40%, i read somewhere to keep it above 70%...

and to everyone else, snakes are a love hate kinda thing, just like busas, you either hate them for there looks, or are scared of them for there power/size, or you just love em for all of the above  
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|SPEEDEMON
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147874669 -->

Back