Animal hoarding

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
Anyone know someone that does this? And no Omar, me having 8 cats does not count...I stopped acquiring 'em despite the many that need homes, so I'm not a hoarder :rulez:

I'm tending to a friend's zoo and I think this is the first time I've seen true animal hoarding up close...it's pretty disturbing to see so many animals living in less-than-desired circumstances. Some seem sick, others are fighting and have sores, one rat is in the tiniest plastic bin and seems to want out so badly :( My kids have been helping me out and even they keep saying "This is too many pets"...they felt so bad for the 14 year old Sulcata Tortoise in a dog crate yesterday, they took him outside to eat grass and walk around.

Here's a list of the pets I can think of, and I swear, there are times when I'm not sure I've fed/seen 'em all...

Sugar gliders (maybe 5 or 6 of 'em)
Hedgehogs (2 adults, 3 babies)
Gerbils
Hamsters
Rats (and babies just arrived)
Rabbits
Doves
Tortoises
Snakes (so many snakes)
Every kind of gecko you can think of
Frog
Cats
Iguana
Fish
Uromastyx (fat lizard that looks like a cheeseburger LOL)
Ornamental uromastyx (a cage full of them...maybe 10?)

Yesterday, we arrived to find one of the cats jumped on one of the crates containing the snake that we were told to not mess with because she's "cranky"...guess who's missing now since the top to the crate was busted wide open? That's right...a cranky snake...

I know of someone, not as many animals but... 4-5 cats outside in a cage with 3 overflowing boxes one dog inside and one dog outside. The one outside is ALWAYS tied up and has had his chain embedded in his skin. It's horrible to see.

I know of someone, not as many animals but... 4-5 cats outside in a cage with 3 overflowing boxes one dog inside and one dog outside. The one outside is ALWAYS tied up and has had his chain embedded in his skin. It's horrible to see.

That is awful...does this person seem to love them at all? The couple I'm watching this "zoo" for seem to truly love their pets, but they've reached a point where they can't truly care for them all like they should, and they just don't see it...

You need to call someone. That's not right.

How good of a friend are we talkin' here?

Wow...that's crazy.. and now yo have a missing snake??? Well, at least you will have less of a zoo as the snake eats them one by one.

GsxrBots said:
You need to call someone. That's not right.

How good of a friend are we talkin' here?

+1

Call your local animal control office. The animals deserve better! :rulez:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

+2...you can call them and say you need help finding the missing snake and they will see the rest and take it all over.

Wow...that's crazy.. and now yo have a missing snake??? Well, at least you will have less of a zoo as the snake eats them one by one.

I called and told the owners that the snake was MIA; they said it shouldn't be a big deal, just hope she doesn't get outside. I asked if they were concerned about all of the other critters and could this MIA snake get in those cages, and they didn't think so. The cats didn't seem to happy; I would imagine they've seen this unexpected guest crawling all around and are scared...

+2...you can call them and say you need help finding the missing snake and they will see the rest and take it all over.

No, I couldn't do that...it's just a sad situation and I see now how people go from being animal lovers/never turning away a pet to *this* situation where it's just too much and some are suffering. I'm sure if I ever said anything to the owners, they'd not see what I see...

what kind and how big is this snake

I'm not sure what kind, just know that it's yellowish. I never saw her; I was told to just let those snakes be in their crates. Didn't expect a cat to break the crate open. They said they just fed her, so she should be good for a while. Guess we'll see...

You could just not go in for the next few days and let nature take its course.... :whistle:

Just is sad that its only a matter of time and suffering for the rest of the "pets" if you do nothing... :banghead:

You could just not go in for the next few days and let nature take its course.... :whistle:

Just is sad that its only a matter of time and suffering for the rest of the "pets" if you do nothing... :banghead:

No, I couldn't do that...I feel mostly for the rats, rabbits and that big tortoise :( They just seem to not be in the best shape...first day we showed up to tend to the zoo, I found these little guys. I sent a txt asking if they knew they had a pregnant rat, and they replied "yeah, we knew...don't be surprised if you come back and they're all gone because other rats ate 'em" :down: WTF? If you know a pet is pregnant, set that one aside in another cage or something...surprisingly, the babies were still there yesterday, so perhaps they'll not become rat food :banghead:

babies.jpg

sad to see people get in such away that they start doing this, i have 3 cats and 2 dogs, sometimes i think i have to many. Your in a tight situation Vabs i dont know what i would do, i think i would find a way to get animal control there tho friend or not.

I don't think animal control would do anything, and truth be told, seeing this side of two people I know...ughhh, it's just tough. I KNOW the reason they have so many pets is because one of them works at a pet store, so every creature that comes through needing a home, gets one. They truly love them all and think they're doing just fine, but walking in there and seeing rabbits with sores from fighting, rats that have messed up eyes or seem to have seizures, tortoises that love to dig in dirt stuck in a dog pen :down:

...they just don't see it, so now I see how people go from wanting to help to being completely overrun and unable to care for them all in the best way possible, and I've watched my coworker suffer from sinus issues for years. Now I see a reason for why the issues exist; after just a few trips there, my throat hurts, my sons have developed a cough...there's no way that house is safe for people to inhabit without being exposed to bacteria/germs from all the bedding, cages and pets.

My oldes son is obsessed with finding the missing snake :laugh: He wants to go by tonight and look again...

Back