Animal hoarding

Sorry but I agree I would have to say something. Standing by and letting it happen is not the right thing to do, and just enables them to keep making the animals life hell. The well being of the animals is worth way more then a friendship to me if they in fact let it destroy the friendship. They might have the best intentions, But are over whelmed and think they have no way to fix it.

its great that they love animals so much, but at what point is too much that they are just hurting themselves and the animals.

I love animals so reading this upsets me.

Your in a difficult situation here, them being friends, and I don't know what I would do in your shoes.

That's the problem, they don't see it...

I talked to other coworkers about it when I got in this morning, and they agreed they've seen signs of this too, but if I were to say anything, it would not be received well.

I know I can't do this again. It's too much to care for so many animals, and it bothers me that some of them seem to be so poorly housed/cared for...not sure how I'll convey this just yet, but I will have to say something.

yeah your in a really tuff spot, but if these people are good friends and i assume they are then you almost have got to say something even if its for help relocating some of them, im sorry i wish i was more help

Just thought of an easy fix.. Take all the animals, bring them somewhere (shelter, friends, etc) and tell the owners that you never found the snake, nor any of the other animals.. It was a massacre... :whistle:

I would call them and tell them that it is too overwhelming. That you are too worried about the animals safety with the snake on the loose, also that it’s upsetting you to the point that you don’t feel well and can no longer take care of them. Tell them they need to either come home and take care of the animals themselves or call another friend to take over for you. Then when they get home explain how disturbing it is too see all of it and that you are worried about the animal’s wellbeing. Depending on how that conversation goes would be my determining factor of calling and reporting them. The co-worker part of this is harder to deal with than the friend part. You don’t have to be friends anymore but you do need to work with them….thats tough for sure.

If I bail, they'll just enlist another coworker who happens to be my best friend, and I wouldn't do that to her...

Not sure what I'll do yet, but I will continue to care for them all this week and get that poor tortoise out of the dog pen so he can stretch his legs...

I just won't be watching 'em all again...lesson learned...

It'd be horrible if he escaped.. Just sayin'... :whistle:

My boys already begged me to take him to our house :laugh: We have a tiny one, and he is SPOILED ROTTEN, so it really bugs them to see this older guy stuck in a cage. My hope is that this isn't the norm, but I know the day I went over to see everyone/get instructions on caring for the animals, this poor big guy was stuck in a plastic bin with barely room to turn around. At least the dog crate is a bit larger, but still not ideal. Sulcatas LOVE to dig in the dirt, and this poor guy can't do that on plastic flooring :(

No, I couldn't do that...I feel mostly for the rats, rabbits and that big tortoise :( They just seem to not be in the best shape...first day we showed up to tend to the zoo, I found these little guys. I sent a txt asking if they knew they had a pregnant rat, and they replied "yeah, we knew...don't be surprised if you come back and they're all gone because other rats ate 'em" :down: WTF? If you know a pet is pregnant, set that one aside in another cage or something...surprisingly, the babies were still there yesterday, so perhaps they'll not become rat food :banghead:

Wow Thems a lot of rats. Now its the time to euthanize those rats.. Just say they were eating...if not those will mutilply even further causing havoc.

Wow Thems a lot of rats. Now its the time to euthanize those rats.. Just say they were eating...if not those will mutilply even further causing havoc.

Seems to be the norm...let everything breed. If it survives, fine, if not, no biggie. Hey, for all I know, they feed their snakes with said baby rats :( Circle of life - the cruel version...

VaBusa said:
That is awful...does this person seem to love them at all? The couple I'm watching this "zoo" for seem to truly love their pets, but they've reached a point where they can't truly care for them all like they should, and they just don't see it...

They claim to care and say they love them so they can't give them a new home, but you can't love them that much if you are ok with treating them that way.

We have 2 cats and 2 dogs. All spoiled rotten. An have taken in 2 dogs to find them new homes (already gone).

They claim to care and say they love them so they can't give them a new home, but you can't love them that much if you are ok with treating them that way.

We have 2 cats and 2 dogs. All spoiled rotten. An have taken in 2 dogs to find them new homes (already gone).

Wonder what makes people think they're doing good when they're really not? Makes me wonder if anyone comes to my house and says I don't take care of my pets...perhaps I just don't see it?! No, impossible! Mine are all rotten :rofl:

Lol, I guess it is kind of a beaten down deal. Starts off good and just goes downhill. And in most cases you can prolly try and justify it comparing to the worst of the worst on those commercials. But it still isn't right.

That's what the people I know do, they say the one that had the chain imbedded, "he is a pit so he would be out down in a shelter" but I have a hard time deciding what is worse. Which is why I never made that phone call.

Lol, I guess it is kind of a beaten down deal. Starts off good and just goes downhill. And in most cases you can prolly try and justify it comparing to the worst of the worst on those commercials. But it still isn't right.

That's what the people I know do, they say the one that had the chain imbedded, "he is a pit so he would be out down in a shelter" but I have a hard time deciding what is worse. Which is why I never made that phone call.

Well, I'd say a mistreated dog is worse off than the same dog dead...it's a long and lonely life, being chained up and mostly likely in pain from the chain around his/her neck...but, like me, you know these people, so it's hard to step in and fix it.

I rescued a pit years ago that was used as a bait dog. The indents in his neck from a rope were so heartbreaking. He turned out to be the sweetest dog I'd ever run across, but I couldn't take on a dog at that time, so he was given to one of our members here and is doing amazingly well. I don't know how people do such cruel things to animals...

To do nothing about it is as bad or worse than what they are doing. That's my opinion.

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

VaBusa said:
Easier said than done my friend...

Sorry your in that situation. I hope you find the means to do the right thing....whatever that is for you:beerchug:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

(((hugs))) I know how much you love animals. You wont even kill a spider for crying out loud! So I know this is tough on you. The little rats and mice probably are bread for snake food. That I can understand. The rest of them, I don't know. Maybe just approach it in a manner that you are concerned for her health. Prolonged exposure to the bacteria and germs is not good for her or the animals.

Back