scared......layoffs

Guess now would be a good time to chime in on this subject! The parent Corp of the company I have worked at for the last 20 years(!) announced last Thursday that they were closing all four of our domestic plants by march of next year. I and 789 others at my facility (about 1400 nationwide) will be out on the street! No one has received official word on their official termination date as yet or what the severance package will be. I am kicking myself right now. I had a really good job offer from a local company a few months back that I had to turn down due to lack of a viable benefit package for my wife and kids. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Have to get back out there and start looking again. We are in better shape than some but it looks like Hard times for all I'm afraid.

NAFTA or CHINA?:banghead:

Same here! I left early for Dentist and got back today...10 people are gone. One was off my team here at my site. Im off the budget and project finished mid-end Nov with no new work coming in. If it happens to me..I get double wham....no more company F150. NOT riding the MULLET all winter!

Business has been slow for us for us at Bestbuy as well, I think everyone is feeling the hurt now, I hope it works out for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

I can’t really say. I work (for now anyway) in the Marine Business and peoples discretionary spending has all but dried up in this sh1tstorm we call our economy these days. Our Largest dealer was forced into Chapter 11 recently and our company bought up a bunch of the yard inventory and a few other assets. There was a preliminary round of furloughs and temporary plant closures a few months ago but the economy has driven right off the cliff since then. We were told that our dealers had 49 weeks of inventory at this moment. That means that if we ceased production now we would have enough product left in inventory to fill the pipeline for almost a year! Not a good position to be in, in a normal economy and downright lethal in this one!

NAFTA or CHINA?:banghead:

Hang in there guys. Hell, I work for AIG, so I am definitely familiar with the pucker-factor right about now.

I figure that the good Lord has not allowed me to make it this far for nothing. I pray that we all maintain thorugh these rough times.

Hang in there guys. Hell, I work for AIG, so I am definitely familiar with the pucker-factor right about now.

I figure that the good Lord has not allowed me to make it this far for nothing. I pray that we all maintain thorugh these rough times.

Well Said Southside!

I don't really like my job all that much, but there isn't much out there at the moment. I have to remind myself daily that I am fortunate to have a job to go to and that the job does not include cleaning dirty toilets. Not that there is anything wrong with cleaning toilets for a living.

well definitly feel you. I work for pepsi and their layoffs was reported on the news like MSNBC ect. Less than 2 years on the job be out two shifts, now the plant is running one shift, still here so far. I just want to thank God at this moment, because I witnessed guys that 20 years plus walk out the door. They say right now are plant will not be affected but I'm leaving it in God's hands. 24 years of age Bought my first house in April with a wife and three kids so, I definitely know how you feel!!:beerchug:

updates ??

well, turns out im a valued employee. they based the layoffs on these conditions

1:attitude-at work and towards other employees
2:"points system"- when your late,call in ect u get points
3:what you can do(different areas, its an assembly line plant)

so i happen to do well at all of those things, and showed them my commitment today

i had to do twice as much work as usual, but i did it with a smile on my face, asked to do anything i agree and do it. doing more work makes the day go by quicker.

so i should be ok for a while. hopefully the economy will get better.

well, turns out im a valued employee. they based the layoffs on these conditions

1:attitude-at work and towards other employees
2:"points system"- when your late,call in ect u get points
3:what you can do(different areas, its an assembly line plant)

so i happen to do well at all of those things, and showed them my commitment today

i had to do twice as much work as usual, but i did it with a smile on my face, asked to do anything i agree and do it. doing more work makes the day go by quicker.

so i should be ok for a while. hopefully the economy will get better.

great man, glad that everything went good.:thumbsup:

here is alittle video songs when you guys are down!
- (The System of) Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Lay offs are going on quite a bit here in MI. GM is closing around 4 more plants and thats over 1600 jobs kissed good bye.

you dont work for Shaw do you? They have laid off, closed several plants around here in the past few months. good luck to you.

Back