The Ultimatum

warwgn

Hi,I'm Dustin.Do you like my dancing
Donating Member
Registered
Well as some of you know things have been crazy at work with layoff's and less work, change in board members and so on. I have the same title and pay as I did a year ago, but way more responsability to deal with. Now I find out today that my boss turned in his 2 week notice and he is gonna set me up on my computer with some reports and stuff that need to be done daily and sent to our customers (we do government contracts) so now I will have even more to do!!

The chain of command will be CEO, COO, and ME, then all of production. SO I am gonna give the company an ultimatum, do a status change and make me a supervisor, or manager with the equivelant pay or I am gonna start looking for a new job. I have basicly carried the entire production floor for the last 6 months for only $14.99 an hour, and over the last 5 years I have made a shid load of money for the company, through proccess improvments and improved quality. If they dont step up I got to go.........of course this means less time goofing off on the computer if I get a real job
all_coholic.gif

I can feel the stress level rising right now
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
or am I just pissed off from thinking about how I am being used
pissed.gif

What does your company do? Sounds like they have a bargain in you. I would think that you could double your salary if the company is depending on you to run their product floor. (Have them make you the manager and pay you the other guy's salary.)

TIP: Find the replacement job first! Get your salary, hours, and etc. From new job before you go to your current boss. You will be able to better stand up to what ever they first offer knowing if you can get more.
Good luck!

I with ya bro. I would ask for his position and pay. He is leaving & you can get him to slip on what he was making.

(05BusaLe @ Jun. 25 2007,09:23) TIP: Find the replacement job first! Get your salary, hours, and etc. From new job before you go to your current boss. You will be able to better stand up to what ever they first offer knowing if you can get more.
Good luck!
This is the BEST route I would go about thing like this like he siad you will have a better leg to stand on this way.

(rubber2burn @ Jun. 25 2007,10:31)
(05BusaLe @ Jun. 25 2007,09:23) TIP: Find the replacement job first! Get your salary, hours, and etc. From new job before you go to your current boss. You will be able to better stand up to what ever they first offer knowing if you can get more.
Good luck!
This is the BEST route I would go about thing like this like he siad you will have a better leg to stand on this way.
well really it comes down to what I want, and can they pay it. If they loose me they will be in deep ****, I just need to be realistic in what I ask for.

We were a 28 million dollar a year company when I started here, but since armoring of the Humvee's the contratcs changed. The company is not doing to great at the moment but there are new contracts in the works that if they go through we could go back back to a 25 mil or more a year company, but that a big IF.

Company Web Site

gonna get it all straight in my head and have a meeting with the CEO and HR sometime this week.

Do it bud, and stay strong in your position, I did it after being a manager for a large corporation for two years, I walked due to similar circumstances. I stayed strong in my conviction of the leadership that I was able to offer and ended up with the job that I wanted at a much higher pay scale. It costs a company more to develope a leader than it does to pay you what you are worth.
beerchug.gif

It's ALWAYS easier to find a Job, when you have a job. Anyway, I would put IN writting what I do, have done and all the NEW requirements of my job. AND then approach the CEO (since he's just two steps above you) with your requirements. AND don't forget to have a Salary in mind. And if he ask what do you want, your answer should be: WHAT IS THE JOB WORTH TO THE COMPANY ! That way you'll probably get alot more than what your looking for  
beerchug.gif

(DaCol. @ Jun. 25 2007,10:47) It's ALWAYS easier to find a Job, when you have a job. Anyway, I would put IN writting what I do, have done and all the NEW requirements of my job. AND then approach the CEO (since he's just two steps above you) with your requirements. AND don't forget to have a Salary in mind. And if he ask what do you want, your answer should be: WHAT IS THE JOB WORTH TO THE COMPANY ! That way you'll probably get alot more than what your looking for  
beerchug.gif
Yes, be prepared to discuss specifics. At $14+ an hour they do have a bargain but make sure you have a BATNA (Best Alternative To A Negotiated Agreement) in your back pocket. What other company's are in your area that can use your expertise and are they hiring. No matter how you feel about the job, it is always better to have a job than not and if you quit you won't be eligible for unemployment. Good Luck.

I have been looking at salary ranges for a supervisor around my skill level on a national level and local too, come in around 40-50 a year.

The good thing is they know it wont be a false threat since there is an aviation company in town that is hiring around 200 people right now, and a lot of the people from here went there. I could get in there if I really want to, so that option is on the table for now. The only reason I havent left yet is it is close to home and I can do what ever I want around here, like come in here most of the day
beerchug.gif

I just need to get some real cash flow in to my bank so I can start saving for the new Busa and get my raptor back in action for racing again.

I'll keep ya'll posted as the plot thickens
pirate.gif

Just make sure you DON'T make idle threats, because you may come out the loser  
beerchug.gif

Good lord, is this a little company with no income? 14.99 per hour for what you are doing is a bargain. It would be hard to replace you for that kind of money so indeed look for another job and start the negotiations. Doesn't always work but give it a try.

Lots of people are leaving my company for either higher paying jobs or more job satisfaction. My company is now finally trying to keep people and offering some incentives. We have lost lots of knowledgeable people from them sitting on their duffs for the last 3 years. I only stay due to my wife wanting to stay in the area, and I like my commute of 7 miles.

(warwgn @ Jun. 25 2007,12:38)
(rubber2burn @ Jun. 25 2007,10:31)
Good luck!
well really it comes down to what I want, and can they pay it. If they loose me they will be in deep ****, I just need to be realistic in what I ask for.

We were a 28 million dollar a year company when I started here, but since armoring of the Humvee's the contratcs changed. The company is not doing to great at the moment but there are new contracts in the works that if they go through we could go back back to a 25 mil or more a year company, but that a big IF.

Company Web Site

gonna get it all straight in my head and have a meeting with the CEO and HR sometime this week.
Anyone can be replaced period. Companies cut their noses off to spite their faces all the time, and the company may not place as much value on you as you do. Get the replacement job then bargain.

And don't
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
no fugging bridges. It could be a lot worse, believe me unemployment doesn't last long and amounts ta shid.

Fight for advancement and better pay, but don't burn any bridges down.

Its a fine line to walk, but the payoff could be great!

Be careful. Manufacturing in any capacity is run upon one particular doctrine.
People are your most expedible commodity. ESPECIALLY these days with so much illegal labor, making such a huge profit margin for companies. They have tasted the blood. Look out! Longevity doesn't amount to a hill of beans anymore. If they can drop an older employee to hire a young buck fresh out of collage ready to take on the world, for the same money, they will.
I would do as these guys have said. You can't have too much leverage in this situation. Another job offer, notes on duties both before and after certain job shifts and changes. Hard evidence of productivity. Not trying to be too negetive, but being over prepared will be your only friend in that conference room. Good Luck!

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>THE UPDATE</span></span>

So last week I hadn't heard anything yet so while in the CEO's office on another matter I asked if they had decided what they were going to do with my status. He said he had been given recomendations and will take it to the board of directors. Up to this point I had not talked to upper management in any offical capicity, only my previous boss. I had told him what salary range and position I was expecting to stay with the company.

Well yesterday the COO stopped by my desk to tell me the board gave approval to give me the Production Supervisor position, he also said the company will be close to the salary I wanted, he didnt know the number but he mentioned he knew I had talked to my old boss about a number. He said the CEO would talk to me later in the day or tomorrow and cover everything with me..cool sounds good so far!!

NOT, I went to HR to get some other paperwork I needed and the manager said I know the CEO talkked to you about the promotion (not true) but he did not discuss salary, the pay rate is $17 an hour and heres the letter for you to sign to accept the position. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
ices_rofl.gif
BULLSHID!!!!!!

I kept my cool and just said I havent talked to the CEO yet and need to discuss it with him first before making any decisions. Of course he is out at the moment and might not be back in untill tomorrow
mad.gif

What a load of crap, $80 more a week to be the only Supervisor in the plant and still build product myself, and do all the other crap that needs to be done to keep this place afloat.........................HELL NO I DONT THINK SO.

I am very insulted they would try and lowball me by this much, unless my old boss told them a way lower number!! He had mentioned the COO asked him if a couple bucks an hour would do it and I just laughed at that and said hell no (we were cool like that) so I cant imagine he would have told them a lower number.

Well guess I will have to wait and see if this a lowball offer in hopes I will take it or if this is just what they are willing to pay. If the latter is the case I guess I will get a 2 dollar raise for a couple weeks untill I start my new job...maybe 4 weeks since I will be nice enough to give a 2 week notice.

Time for a smoke break
all_coholic.gif

Back