red1100cc arrested in Memphis

I wasn't there so I won't dispute your side of the story, however I will make some comments about your story. I don't know the laws of the state of Tennessee. Where I live PDC Public Disorderly Conduct, is like most things in this world a judgement call. Here a person only has to be loud or profane or intoxicated while in public. There is no level of intoxication within the law as in DUI, so no you were not administered any test. You were not read your rights because you weren't being investigated or interrogated. They must hire some big boys in Tennessee bc by your account this young strapping lad, probably a Captain pushed you and nine or ten others down a sidewalk while yelling and spitting on you.......oh boy, anyway, here I would have asked you to step back 50 feet, and warned you , you were about to be arrested for interfering, when you turned around, threw your camera in my face and demanded my name and badge I would have arrested you. If you really upset me or I had had a bad day dealing with all the occupy folks I would have hit you with everything on the book including PDC. You can frown on me for that one, and I typically don't behave that way. It's called stacking. Something I don't practice. What you call damage control I call corruption. I'm happy it went the way it did for you and you're home safe and sound with loved ones. That's the way it's suppose to be. I don't think it takes a genius to read through all your comments and discover that you had a few ,

I hope you did learn a few things from this experience and I want to leave one more golden nugget for anyone reading this. If you see a scuffle or anything that involves a police officer and it doesn't appear to be peaceful; walk away and avoid getting hurt or killed. It's one thing to film or observe something from a great distance, a few floors up, etc. but it's not smart to crowd in and then start causing problems. You become a threat to that officer real quick. He just wants to go home to his family at the end of the day like you, but he stands a significantly smaller chance of it.

I don't need anyone filming me, I have at any given moment at least two audio/video devices on me at any given time and more if other officers are on scene. That's to protect me from the public.

Please forgive If I offended, I only wanted to give a little food for thought.

No offense taken.

in TN. disorderly conduct is their "catch all law" just like interference is Wyoming's. I understand that now. These are laws that Citizens need to be very very aware of.
i was also unaware that an order of "Clear the street" was an arrestable order. i understand this now.

i also had no idea what the police there have to deal with everyday. they are attacked by aggressive drunks almost every day, plus they have to deal with some pretty rough charterers there. lots of murder, rape, and armed robbery. they must be wound really tight. (obviously!)
i wouldn't want their job!

i did what any Citizen would do in my situation. i reached out and used every resource i have, to my advantage. It's a bummer, but that's the way the system works. if i had been a Senator, House Rep., Governor, or had a badge of any kind in my pocket, i would have never even been arrested in the 1st place.
it's NOT right. but that's the way it is.

You are absolutely right when you said "your inhibitions lowered, you've been pumped up at a seminar about all your rights and decided to film something."
i will not deny that, and i do not feel i need to defend myself there.
my friend that bailed me out said the same thing.

i have come out of this much more educated. i really am a very law abiding citizen. (besides riding briskly on occasion)
i know my rights and do my best to stand up for them.

that being said......
i will do everything in my power to never put myself in this situation ever again!

Wonder why I'm no fan of LEO's... Sorry if any of you are one.. You're welcomed to my house when you're NOT in uniform. And even then to question. Minus the jail part, I've often been in BS by them ****** (I'll be good) because I "Matched the description".. One time that description was someone over 6', light skinned, long curly hair.. I'm 5'7, dark skinned with no hair.

Hitting someone with everything In the book cause you had a bad day is a great way to use your powerto protect and serve. Smashing peoples rights is awesome.

No offense taken.

in TN. disorderly conduct is their "catch all law" just like interference is Wyoming's. I understand that now. These are laws that Citizens need to be very very aware of.
i was also unaware that an order of "Clear the street" was an arrestable order. i understand this now.

i also had no idea what the police there have to deal with everyday. they are attacked by aggressive drunks almost every day, plus they have to deal with some pretty rough charterers there. lots of murder, rape, and armed robbery. they must be wound really tight. (obviously!)
i wouldn't want their job!

i did what any Citizen would do in my situation. i reached out and used every resource i have, to my advantage. It's a bummer, but that's the way the system works. if i had been a Senator, House Rep., Governor, or had a badge of any kind in my pocket, i would have never even been arrested in the 1st place.
it's NOT right. but that's the way it is.

You are absolutely right when you said "your inhibitions lowered, you've been pumped up at a seminar about all your rights and decided to film something."
i will not deny that, and i do not feel i need to defend myself there.
my friend that bailed me out said the same thing.

i have come out of this much more educated. i really am a very law abiding citizen. (besides riding briskly on occasion)
i know my rights and do my best to stand up for them.

that being said......
i will do everything in my power to never put myself in this situation ever again!

I hope I didn't come off as saying you're a bad guy. I follow your post and even though I don't remember ever meeting you, I don't see you as a bad guy. It's my opinion that there's good and bad in all of us. I'm not sure you fully understand the law. I know I don't. Let me leave it at this. When someone in authority lawfully ask you to do something and you don't comply it can become an issue. As I stated I wasn't there, so I can't speak to what was right or wrong. I know a lot about the law, but personnally if someone in authority ask me to do something regardless; I typically comply. Obviously if someone ask me to do something wrong I would figure out how to make them happy and not. The thing here is I try very hard to have my fun and stay out of situations that can cause me trouble.

You made a very accurate statement when you said they have a hard job. Every kid that approaches me with I want to be a cop or I'm thinking about policing I'm always quick to steer them away from it. 50% of the graduates from law enforcement academys don't make it to 5 years.

Unless I have to because someone might hurt themselves or hurt someone else I don't take people to jail. I just put a piece of paper in their hand.

:poke:??? why do you suppose he erased all the pictures and videos off my phone? :whistle:
I don't know what happened to your phone or why anyone would erase your pics or vids. I've been filmed before. It just doesn't bother me. If you know what you're doing and you're doing the right thing you should have no issues with being filmed.

That said, there's an entire culture out there that gathers intelligence in order to do harm or to become a better criminal. I'm in public and don't feel that I have any rights to privacy when I'm at work or for that matter when I'm in public. That's just me.

Wonder why I'm no fan of LEO's... Sorry if any of you are one.. You're welcomed to my house when you're NOT in uniform. And even then to question. Minus the jail part, I've often been in BS by them ****** (I'll be good) because I "Matched the description".. One time that description was someone over 6', light skinned, long curly hair.. I'm 5'7, dark skinned with no hair.

Well believe me sir, there's times when I know I have really helped or protected someone and it's a good feeling, but often I'm sorry I'm a cop too :laugh: It's unfortunate that they don't give us that magic perfection pill when they pin that badge on us :poke:

With all that said I realize that a lot of folks are raised to fear/hate authority. I will never forget the toddler that pointed the gangsta gun finger at me and tracked me as I entered his neighborhood. He didn't know what he was doing but he had been taught to do it.

Why wouldn't you want me at your home in uniform ? I'm being funny. I tend to keep visits short and descret because I know that people can get hurt just for having me around in uniform. That's sad isn't it ..........

I hope everyone understands that you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Law Enforcement has a job to do and they're expected to do it regardless.

Hitting someone with everything In the book cause you had a bad day is a great way to use your powerto protect and serve. Smashing peoples rights is awesome.

I'm not sure I understand your comment, but hitting someone with everything in the book is what can happen. The way it should work is that if an officer observes someone violating the law(s) they have an obligation to lawfully arrest that person and charge them for the violation(s). We are fortunate in this country that an individual then has a right to trial by peers. We're not the judge and jury. We protect your rights, we don't smash them.

Smashing your rights as you put it would result in criminal charges, loss of job, and civil action. You make a mistake at work and someone might ask you not to let it happen again. It's not that easy for law enforcement. That said you should understand that law enforcements main job is to enforce the US Constitution , State Constitution, State Laws, Local Laws and Ordinances. We have arrest powers and with that authority comes great responsibility. I hope you understood what I was trying to say.

Dad, you don't have anything to explain (at least to me, that is). You have a VERY difficult job and making it home to your family every night in one piece is a REAL concern. Everybody has a bad day, and Beale Street is not the place to challenge the police over your 'rights', especially at 4 AM. The only time I'm ever gonna get involved with a policeman doing his duty is if HE's on the losing end of a situation....

I'll actually be in Memphis tonight (only), but you can bet your bottom dollar I won't be on Beale at 4AM.

Dadofthree,
i appreciate you input on this conversation. Thank You.

it helps me understand the other side of the badge just a little better.

Skydivr,
you seem to be stuck on the fact i was out at 4am. i am an insomniac. i rarely sleep more than 4hrs at a time. i usually take my nap around 6am. it sucks. I have tried everything my Dr. can do for me to fix this to no avail. i am constantly looking for something to do at night.:handball:
:laugh: getting arrested was never on that list!

Well Red1100cc, I guess you can cross that off your bucket list :laugh:
sorry to hear it happened, can you sue for false arrest, and expenses?

Dadofthree,
i appreciate you input on this conversation. Thank You.

it helps me understand the other side of the badge just a little better.

Skydivr,
you seem to be stuck on the fact i was out at 4am. i am an insomniac. i rarely sleep more than 4hrs at a time. i usually take my nap around 6am. it sucks. I have tried everything my Dr. can do for me to fix this to no avail. i am constantly looking for something to do at night.:handball:
:laugh: getting arrested was never on that list!

No Red, that was not the point and I certainly hope you took no insult as I meant none. The point about it being 4 AM is that a LEO's built-in perceptions about what is going to happen is entirely different than at 7 PM (Dad, your opinion please). Ususally by 4AM, except for maybe a few insomniacs, the people who are out at this time, are more likely to cause/be trouble, especially on Beale. That's when the theives and those who prey on the revelers are out....

Kinda Ironic, because I was in South Memphis when I saw your last post (I am only here for tonight and back out tomorrow). I lived here for a year, and It does NOT feel safe down here after dark (and I am armed); amazing how much a change. The branch manager kept looking at the door, and when I asked him why, he told me that he was making sure nobody stole the wheels off my truck - mind you, my truck is 15 feet away from where we are standing. He says it's gotten THAT bad; that there is a murder every day and people have become so desensitized that they don't even notice.

I got out of town for the night and am in Olive Branch as I type this. It's amazing how much cleaner and safer it looks just 10 miles south of the city limit.

I was gonna make the same point. The arrest report mentioned 0530 hours, and yes we have a saying; nothing good goes on after 2300 hours. Those hours are strictly for crackheads, drunks, and thieves around here. I work days now, but after a certain hour at night if you were out you were fair game. If it weren't for guys out working it the criminals would simply rape working people. It's just that bad. Everywhere.

No Red, that was not the point and I certainly hope you took no insult as I meant none. The point about it being 4 AM is that a LEO's built-in perceptions about what is going to happen is entirely different than at 7 PM (Dad, your opinion please). Ususally by 4AM, except for maybe a few insomniacs, the people who are out at this time, are more likely to cause/be trouble, especially on Beale. That's when the theives and those who prey on the revelers are out....

Kinda Ironic, because I was in South Memphis when I saw your last post (I am only here for tonight and back out tomorrow). I lived here for a year, and It does NOT feel safe down here after dark (and I am armed); amazing how much a change. The branch manager kept looking at the door, and when I asked him why, he told me that he was making sure nobody stole the wheels off my truck - mind you, my truck is 15 feet away from where we are standing. He says it's gotten THAT bad; that there is a murder every day and people have become so desensitized that they don't even notice.

I got out of town for the night and am in Olive Branch as I type this. It's amazing how much cleaner and safer it looks just 10 miles south of the city limit.

:eyes: No, no insult taken, i just felt i needed to clarify why i was up late, and i appreciate you making your point clearer too. :thumbs: sometimes it's hard to get the "feeling" of a message over the ORG.

:please: be safe down there!
i hear it's a rough place!:whistle::laugh:

I was gonna make the same point. The arrest report mentioned 0530 hours, and yes we have a saying; nothing good goes on after 2300 hours. Those hours are strictly for crackheads, drunks, and thieves around here. I work days now, but after a certain hour at night if you were out you were fair game. If it weren't for guys out working it the criminals would simply rape working people. It's just that bad. Everywhere.

they were pretty busy and it took almost two hours to book me in. book in time is 8min before i was to be picked up and taken to the airport.:banghead:

it makes sense to me though. i never go out after dark here unless im squeaky clean. DUI's are the focus here. so just don't be drunk, and avoid the drunks and your ok.
it really is not "that bad. Everywhere." i can still go ride and never be worried about a carjacking, bike ripoff, armed thug, day or night. and here is not the only place like this there are alot of places in this country not yet taken over by the scum of the earth.

i realize were all, for the most part, friends here. and i appreciate that.

I thank yall again for your input on this topic.
:beerchug:

:please: I would like to Thank All my Brothers and Sisters the prayers, trust, support, and showing of love, you have given me during this very eyeopening experience. :bowdown:

can you sue for false arrest, and expenses?

NO.
i have already talked to a lawyer and because they stacked the public intox on there it takes away most of my ability to pursue a civil suit.

what i am going to do is spend another $75 to get all the information on my arrest. i have already begun to compile information. i want to have a good information packet in plain English, compiled. so i can begin to put on seminars on this subject. i want to educate other riders so something like this does not happen to them. and if it does, what your rights are and what you can do.

my lawyers are doing a few others things for me.
but with no video of the incident, and the intox charge, besides a complaint through a few different channels and warning my friends "stay away from Memphis!", there is nothing i can do. :down:

:poke: so friend, :director: STAY AWAY FROM MEMPHIS!:laugh:

here's the short story
i was filming officers on Beale St. make an arrest when an officer approached a group of us and pushed us, quite violently i might add, about 10' down the sidewalk, screaming in our faces "clear the street!". i thought that was ****ed up! so i turned to him, and with my camera still on him, i asked for his name and badge number (thinking i would file a complaint later). when i did this, i was arrested for disorderly conduct and public intox. all my video and pic were erased off my phone by the arresting officer, and i went to jail.
i got a lawyer went to court this morning and all charges were dropped.
it was bull**** anyway. i wasn't drunk and i was being as polite as i can. i never raised my voice.

i work with the police on a regular basis ans have never been treated this way by an officer.

it cost me my flight out of here, extra motel and food costs, had to pay the bondsmen, Lawyer fees, exct..

Memphis Can Kiss My Butt,

im happy to be free!

Im going home, never to return, ever ever ever again!

Sucks as someone else stated, when the cops ask me to leave an area I just do it if they are telling me to leave and pushing me I get out of the area even faster, unless the person the cops are involved with is a friend or family member. :laugh:

Those bum raps should be avoided whenever possible, yeah charges get dropped but I think when they run your name it will show up that you have been arrested in that state. Yeah charges get dropped or cops are sometimes made to apologize for their actions by judges . SO what! you still spent the night in jail and had to go through all the motions and still end up with a bloch on your jacket..

ps also make sure you know the laws in the states you visit there is at least 1 state out there where it is illegal to film cops, which if that guy didn't beat that particular rap, it is one of the dumbest laws I have ever heard of.

:whistle: All Officers should assume they are on video 24/7 because we are. Between cell phone cameras, business cameras, dash cams/mic, street cameras and the media there is not much that isn't taped.

I just caught this thread and read it. Wow, I'm glad things worked out for you as well as they did. It could have been a lot worse. You could have still been in the "Justice Center". I was born and raised in Memphis and there are definitely some areas to avoid late night/early mornings. Memphis is a huge metropolitan area, very diverse, and with just those two ingredients come major crime. Yes, the jails are full of accused murderers, rapists, thugs, gangtas, etc. It's a huge tourist area with Graceland, Tunica Mississippi(gambling), Civil Rights Museum, major sports, etc...

Your experience reminds me of an occurrence in New Orleans, on Bourbon Street in the '80s. After a day of working on a job site, a bunch of us iron workers were out hitting up spots on Bourbon Street, having fun. One of the guys was wearing a buck knife on his belt, folded in a holder. Suddenly three plain clothed officers surrounded him, a fourth loudly identifying all as LEOs. We initially all stopped but were told to keep walking. We did but one of our group was asked if he was ready to go to jail for not moving along....he said not really and started walking. Turned out the knife was considered a weapon on Bourbon Street, it was confiscated, and the officers told him it can be picked up the next day at the neighborhood sub-station. Since we all cooperated, the officers performed their task quickly and we all continued on our way. The LEOs on Bourbon Street don't play, much like the ones on Beale Street don't play either. Just think of the drunks they deal with....

Anyway, Memphis can be a fun place if you are in the right place at the right times.

seriously sue the eff out of them this just happened here it is a federal offense for them to touch any video photos etc off of your personal property the officer in detroit that was busted just just got sued for 150k and is now facing a minimum of 10 years in prison for the EXACT same thing as this

Back