Motorcycle accident

gaw

Registered
There was an article in today's paper about a motorcyclist getting killed yesterday. Paper said the he was 19 years old, going too fast and could not stop at the off-ramp light and hit the back of stopped cars.
Witnesses said that he applied the brakes, too hard, and the bike flipped.

Accident statictics show the under 25 age group to be over represented in fatalities.

This happens in an instant!  Driving too fast, if you can't handle the peer pressure of others, the need to show off, or the responsibility of this or any other bike, stay in a car.

My son is 17 years old. By this fact I know a lot of kids between 16-20 years of age. To think of this happening to one of them.......

I know there are some younger people on this board, you are not indestructable, BE smart when you ride. That applies to all!

A lot of people ask this board if they are too young or is this bike too much bike, only you know the answer.

I see these articles in our paper about 1/month or so, usually a youger person driving too fast or very late at night.
I guess having a teen son that ride makes these articles really stand out.

Just be careful out there, please.

I have to agree... I'm an Emerg Nurse and I've seen my share of people torn up by high speed accidents. From what I've read here, we all share the same passion for the sport, but also weigh the risks each time we head out or a ride.

Please!!! Know your limits, know your bike, and know when to twist your wrist the other way.

I don't want to be one of the people putting you back together agian!

On a lighter note
smile.gif

The same paper also had an article about a man who died.
He weighed 700 lbs, and had to be removed from his house with a crane.
wow.gif

I guess I will cut back on the Krispe Kremes

Ride safe
eyes.gif

YOu know whats scarry is that all of us know better. Most of us work, worked, or know someone who told stories that work in a professional field that deals with death, dismemberment, or trauma from bike accidents yet we feel on an open stretch with no cops you have to hit 150. Worse yet YOUR THE COP that feels he has to hit 150.

Agreed BE alert and ride within your own limits. DOnt ride in thier limits. You will be the one wreck.

JD

I read an article last year about a 19 yr old and his gf that died in a motorcycle accident. Guess what they were on.....yep, a busa! He had left the dealer about 20 min earlier on it. Slammed so hard into a car it actually spun the car around. Crazy! My son is only gonna be 13 and has made comments of getting to ride the busa when he gets his license. I said he will never have a sportbike til he is outta this house! When you are young you tend to not think before doing something. Dam! am I getting old?

Nope your not getting old... My Dad did the same thing... No Street Bikes while I live under his roof... And we are a family of Bikers, ah well, Get to College, buy that first street bike... Been happy ever since, and honestly in hindsight... He really might have saved my butt, even though I was pretty pissed... 21 Seemed to be a pretty good age.

Ok, got to disagree on "No Street bikes while under my roof"

This is just my perspective... Us as parents / fathers, what is our job with our sons and daughters? it is to raise them, teach them, prepare them for the world that is out there?

Is it better to make them NOT ride a motorcycle until they get out of the house? or is it better to have them get one while you still have some control over what they do? when they ride? who they ride with?

If they are still under your roof you have MORE control over how they are going to ride that bike, more control over when and where etc.

You have the option to ground them from the bike if they are getting stupid.

You have the ability to have father son bonding time by going for rides together. You will allways have someone to ride with if your son is still living under your house and has his own street bike.. AND you can watch how he rides.

What I have told me son is no Busa until he is probably 27. He can start out on something smaller..

Who knows, I am not there yet, my oldest is 12, I have a few more years before I am going to have to make any decision, but just like everything else in my sons life, I want to be able to help them and guide them and prepare them for something...

Once they move out, thats it, their friends are their teachers.

oh well, just my two cents...

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1079048865 -->

just last year a kid in portland ran from the cops and wrecked so hard his girfriend that was on the back was found in a tree.

cops thought the girl made it and ran away untill a person spotted her in a tree, impalied.
both were in their teens

cop later said if he would of pulled over he would of got a speeding ticket and could of rode away

kid had insurance license and was liget

had no reason to run

too bad for the girl she got robbed of her life

she didnt even have a choice

dumb ass ruined some one elses life

I didn't say no street bikes..I said no sport bikes...I would probably let him have a smaller cc street bike or a street/trail bike.

hooo boy....this one can open a can o' worms any minute. It's always saddening to hear of a rider going to the big track up in the sky, but it hurts even more when you know that it was because or irresponsible decisions or poor judgement.

Like my brother said: "We're all gonna go sometime. You just need to make sure that when you go it's not because of a stupid decision. It doesn't make any sense to get to your time earlier than you should."

I have to admit, the subject is not an easy one nor a flower and dry one... I guess I am just jaded by my parents..

When I was 16 and they were helping me get my first car, all they were doing was getting the loan, I was making the payments and insurance payments.

So here I am, all set to get a car, parents taking me around looking at this car and that car. I really wasn't sure what I wanted.. and then... there she was.. my parents brought me to her.... they let me touch her... they let me sit in her... they let me test drive her... she was a 68 cherry red camaro with a stick... ohh the love... ohh the joy.... oh how I would be the envy of all my friends.... ohhhh the girls I would hget with this car....

know what I ended up with? when they saw how much I wanted that camaro that THEY showed me, THEY let me drive.... they bought me a fricken 73 GREEN wait for it wait for it.... Pinto... ohh wait there is more... STATION WAGON!!!!!!!!!!!! W T F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ohh I got my fricken camaro BABY!! you bet your fricken arse I did... WHEN I WAS 30 FRICKEN YEARS OLD!! the wife was so pissed, she said "this isn't a family car!!" I said I DON'T CARE!! it is a camaro!! I have always wanted one..

She cried for day,... seriously... cried, she was all upset.. Well that was when I was younger and not as considerate as I am now.. but I still have my camaro, and my camaro is being passed down to my son when he gets 16,, guess what dad is going to get when I pas my camaro down to my son? that's right!! DADDY IS BUYING A FRICKEN VIPER THIS TIME!!

YEAH MOM!! HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES!!! DON'T LET ME GET A FRICKEN CAMARO WHEN I AM 16 WILL YA!!!! HA!!!

HA HA HA!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Ok.. I am back.. I had to go take my meds… I feel better now… the doctor said in a few more years of therapy and medication that I should be able to look at a red camaro without spooling….. and having the nightmares I have..

Whheeewwww glad to get that off my chest again… muah ha ha

Seriosly BillBell I am not sure what I am going to do, may a cruiser would be a first good bike instead of a sport bike… All I do know is I want to be the one to guide my son's on how to ride on the street….

Having 3 sons, all older now. I never said no sport bikes. They all had diret bikes, but none of them pushed for bike. They all like bikes and one rides now, but by the time they heit the car thing and then the college thing they were already gone. My dad said no more bikes. My broher (departed not on bikes) was in to Choppers. I bought a bike and kept it at a friends, until one day I pulled up next to a car and it was my Dad. He just said you my-as-well bring it home. Oh he was not a happy camper, but the bike stayed.

Hard decision to allow my son to ride, but here are the conditions he has to ride under.

1. Only rides when we wants to.
2. Only rides when I can go with him. He must have a 1000 miles riding with me before he goes solo.
3. ANY stupid riding and he is done.

He rides a Suzuki 600 bandit, a fun little bike, no busa riding.

He does not have a lot of desire to ride at this time, has a nice car, so he mostly drive that.

What every you do,

Ride safe
eyes.gif

My daughter is 8, has a Honda 70, Rides with me or her Mom. Most of the time we just watch her because she just laughs and giggles the whole time. We can do our best to teach them good things NOW, and hope for smart decisions in the later years.

I have 3 little ones. One 5 year old girl and 2 and a 1 year old boy;. I bought them a zook 50 for christmas. Now I nevre had a bike until i was grown and on my own, but i also had plenty of sense. Since i am a biker dad. I want to train each of them....If they want. THe right way to ride. If they chose to learn then dirt bikes it is. WHen thye get to 16 and they may want to ride. It will probably be a used 250 or MAYBE a 500 depending on their skill. But i must agree i would love the pleasure of teaching them about life and motorcycling is a part of that. Of course I would feel terrible if they were to get killed or wounded. But if i know I did all i could to prepare them then I would feel better. Cuz you never know. THey could get killed or wounded driving in a car with friends.
cool.gif

im gonna side with thrasher on this, my boy hes 9 rides dirtbikes with me is developing skills and i am training him on respecting and maintaining his bike. when he gets his mc licsense i will allow him to get a bike. it will be smaller than a 600 and there will be ground rules. if i dont give him all the advice i can and teach him the joy and the pain caused by biking and just tell him no and he gets a bike when hes 18,19 and out of the house( hey, my dad rides a 160 hs rocket im going to) and kills himself, i will never forgive myself.

I have two students who are riding 600 cc bullet bikes. Both have said how they are going to tear me up when the ride with me. There is ZERO chance I'll ever ride with them with that attitude.

My daughter has bee riding dirt since she was 5 (or so). She fell in love with the SV600 (I think that is what it was) when we went to the Suzie dealer. I don't have a problem with her riding on the street, but I would rather her start out on a dual purpose bike instead of a track bike.

On a lighter note  
smile.gif

The same paper also had an article about a man who died.
He weighed 700 lbs, and had to be removed from his house with a crane.  
wow.gif

I guess I will cut back on the Krispe Kremes

Ride safe  
eyes.gif
We had a 1200 pounder that was brought to the ER on a roll back tow truck not long ago. They had to build a big pallet and get him on it, then cut a hole in the wall and bring him out and onto the roll back with a rented fork lift. They never unloaded him off the roll back at the ER. They parked it under the ambulance shelter and the docs came to him. He died not long after that visit.

I'm damn near 300 lbs but somehow I felt very insignificant in size that evening.
wink.gif

just last year a kid in portland ran from the cops and wrecked so hard his girfriend that was on the back was found in a tree.

cops thought the girl made it and ran away untill a person spotted her in a tree, impalied.
both were in their teens

cop later said if he would of pulled over  he would of got a speeding ticket and could of rode away

kid had insurance license and was liget

had no reason to run

too bad for the girl she got robbed of her life

she didnt even have a choice

dumb ass ruined some one elses life
If I had been that chick I think he would have stopped. If I were a passenger on a bike and the rider decided to run from the popo, I'd grab me a big ol' handful of nutsack and twist until all forward motion ceased!
laugh.gif

Back