MIGRAINES!! How do y'all deal with em??

My other half has bad migraines (the hide-in-the-dark-closet, throw-up, hyperventilate-to-pass-out kind.). He won't take pills, so usually it's an ice pack on the forhead, icyhot on the back of the neck, and lots of sleep.

I'm in the same boat...15 years with 'em, tons of drugs that work 1/2 the time...I pretty much just curl up, cry some, need a dark room, complete silence and sleep...

There's no magical cure it seems...I've been looking for it for a long time :(

Oh gosh, I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I get them once in a great while, but I am so lucky that reg old ibuprophen takes care of it, if I don't throw it up first.

Have you had your spine (neck) checked for bulging disks. I haven't read all the post, so if this has already been addressed, IGNORE!! Anyway, Dennis was having severe headaches, spotty vision, feeling like he wanted to pass out, stomach upset and so on. Found out he had a couple of bulging disks in his neck. Dr put him on a steriod pack and prescribed PT. Within a day of starting the steriod pack, his symptoms went away and now his is in the process of working with a PT. He seems to be symptom free now.

Take care, I hope you are feeling better real soon.

Cut out the sodas and cut back on the coffee!!! You will be amazed at how good you feel, energy wise any way.

P.S. I have a friend with migrane issues too and her Dr also suggested having a "little" bit of caffine each day too. Like it was stated in earlier post, it is a balance thing. I hope you can find your balance real soon. Please check with your Dr before you make any changes. It is different for each of us.

Last edited:
the reason they say to have a little each day is to BALANCE it because you already have caffeine in your system. consuming more caffeine when you are getting [a caffeine] migraine, does allieveiat it. BUT, if you get rid of ALL caffiene [assuming you are having caffeine related migraines], and ride through the last one bad headache, they will be gone for good - unless it is something else. EVERYONE I have talked to locally that has headaches are caffeine users. I encourage them to stop, but they say OH no, I gotta have my coffee in the morning. :) Oh well. Other than "Maintenance" - which is still part of the problem, I've never seen doctors recommend caffeine - usually quite the opposite. Where I'm going is, if you don't eliminate it, how do you know if it is the cause?

GINORMOUS THANK YOU for all the ideas!!

I have not even thought of some of it. I have terrible allergies and in fact am in the process of "sampling" the different allergy meds to stop the sinus probs and drippy nose.

As far as endocrinologist, I have had a relationship with one since I was 15. I had a tumor on my thyroid and had to have it removed. Been on synthroid ever since. Of course there is also a rheumatologist in my life.

MRI's do show some disc issues, but nothing terrible. So I am going to talk to the doc at next appointment about more diet change suggestions. The only fast acting "pen" injection that I have tried is Imitrex and it did not do well. Right now the Maxalt orally disentigrating does a pretty good job.

I would probably LOVE the medical marijauna if I knew anyone that supplied it...LoL!

My other half has bad migraines (the hide-in-the-dark-closet, throw-up, hyperventilate-to-pass-out kind.). He won't take pills, so usually it's an ice pack on the forhead, icyhot on the back of the neck, and lots of sleep.
yuk... Migraine Diagnosis:

The International Headache Society (IHS) defines migraine headaches as the following:
  • Headache attacks that last at least 4 to 72 hours at a time
  • Headaches with at least two of the following qualities:
    • one-sided pain
    • pulsating quality
    • moderate to severe symptoms affecting daily activities
    • symptoms increased with physical activity
  • One of the following symptoms with the headache attacks
    • Nausea or vomiting
    • Sensitivity to sound
    • Sensitivity to light
  • At least 5 headaches with the above criteria have occurred
I had them for about a year my last year of highschool... awful, just awful.... shoot me, roll me in a hole and bury me please... can not imagine having to deal with that for years..

Usually do not like the "About" pages but this one is not too bad... Doctor is in Boston today so can not get the paperwork for you..

http://allergies.about.com/od/noseandsinusallergies/a/ar_migraines.htm
http://allergies.about.com/

Last edited:
ive had them since 9 i believe.. just last few years, i started taking "exedrine migraine" take it, try to take a small nap, or jsut give it about 20 mins, and mine goes away.

i only get them sometimes if i skip a meal.

I just started having them about 3 years ago. I get them about every three to four months. I think it is triggered by stress. If I catch it in time, 3-4 extra strength tylenol will usually put it down. But if not, I curl up in a ball on my bed and cry myself to sleep. It's the vomiting I hate. They suck!!

the reason they say to have a little each day is to BALANCE it because you already have caffeine in your system. consuming more caffeine when you are getting [a caffeine] migraine, does allieveiat it. BUT, if you get rid of ALL caffiene [assuming you are having caffeine related migraines], and ride through the last one bad headache, they will be gone for good - unless it is something else. EVERYONE I have talked to locally that has headaches are caffeine users. I encourage them to stop, but they say OH no, I gotta have my coffee in the morning. :) Oh well. Other than "Maintenance" - which is still part of the problem, I've never seen doctors recommend caffeine - usually quite the opposite. Where I'm going is, if you don't eliminate it, how do you know if it is the cause?

I can vouch for that as well... in my personal experience and also in what I have read.

Mrs.Rubber2Burn, at 4 cups of coffee a day, you would be considered a heavy user, and caffeine isn't as innocent as people like to think.

The caffeine molecule is similar in shape to adenosine. Adeosine is a neurotransmitter that binds to the adenosine receptor and it controls the activity of other nuerotransmitters like serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. Adenosine acts as a tranquilizer and inhibits nerve firing by inhibiting the release of excitatory neurochemicals.

Because the caffiene molecule has a simular shape, when someone consumes caffeine they block adenosine. Thus caffiene has an stimulating effect. It can also relieve headaches by blocking the adenosine receptors. Unfortunately, it can also be the cause of headaches. A simple withdraw of only 100mg a day of caffeine can cause headaches.

My point is you are consuming something that has been proven to have an effect on headaches and migraines. And you have been consuming it in high doses. It doesn't seem to be a big stretch to say that it could be a major cause of your problem.

About 20 years ago I used to get really bad headaches a few times a week. So bad, that I would have to go home from work and just rest. Weird thing was, they would not be there in the AM. It was like after I got rest, I was ok.

Went to my Doc. We did blood work, urine work, MRI, everything. She said everything was normal and couldn't find anything wrong.

After a few weeks, she finally said "tell me about your day". I told her I sometimes stop at a store for a morning snack, go to work, drink 2-4 cups of coffee. Go to lunch, drink 2-3 large glasses of Coke or Pepsi. Right there she said "Stop. I want you to stop drinking caffeine. No coffee, no coke, no pepsi, nothing". Oh no! What about beer?? She said beer's fine, just don't over do it. whew. :beerchug:

I quit caffeine cold turkey that day.

After a week, the frequency slowed. After a month or so, they went away to where I only got one every few months.

That was 20 years ago and to this day I do not drink coffee, Coke, Pepsi, Sweet Tea (gotta love the south) or anything else caffeinated and I'm fine. I do like chocolate though :)

I hope you find something that works for you!

My ex-wife had them for years. She was finally able to completely get rid of them by having her ears pierced through the tragus. There is documented evidence that ear accupunture can be effective in the treatment of migraines. Definitely something for you to look into.

This is a good start.

While I can also vouch for the "caffeine doesn't help any" scenario, plenty of women get migraines with their cycles...it's hormonal, at least they are for me. I can look at the calendar and tell you exactly when I KNOW I'll have a migraine, and there's no avoiding it, no easing it up, nothing...just bracing myself for it and keeping the lights down...

I do get them unexpectedly as well, and I also know my triggers and try to avoid them, but sometimes that's impossible...for me, it's sudden loud sounds each and every time, and I've found that some pain meds bring them on; those are the worst and I know now what I can't take.

I hate to ask this, in fact I'm not really sure how to other than to be blunt, but do you by any chance have a weight problem? There is a valid reason for me to ask, I promise. How often to you get headaches, migraine or other? Have your doctors ever tested you for pseudotumor cerebri?

I suffer from 'cluster headaches' used to nearly kill me when they set in.

Believe it or not.... I traced them to green veggies and cayenne pepper! Cut those from the lineup and they are nearly gone.

I quit taking all the Rx meds, they were too rough on me. Today, I drink black coffee and try to dim the lights when I get them...

Good luck!

I =The caffeine molecule is similar in shape to adenosine. Adeosine is a neurotransmitter that binds to the adenosine receptor and it controls the activity of other nuerotransmitters like serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. Adenosine acts as a tranquilizer and inhibits nerve firing by inhibiting the release of excitatory neurochemicals.

skoti -

You mentioned caffeine affecting serotonin and norepinephrine, I take Effexor XR daily, which deals with serotonin and norepinephrin. I need to do some research and ask the docs about this link?

I hate to ask this, in fact I'm not really sure how to other than to be blunt, but do you by any chance have a weight problem? There is a valid reason for me to ask, I promise. How often to you get headaches, migraine or other? Have your doctors ever tested you for pseudotumor cerebri?

I HATE talking about my weight, but will if it will help this HORRID headache that is going to have me in the fetal position dying soon. Yes I a a princess, but I am QUEEN of the DRAMA QUEENS when I feel badly.

As far as weight, I have always been very thing. Once the thyroid tumor hit and thyroid was removed I gained a TON of weight. A few years ago I lost aroun 125 pounds. I am no longer morbidly obese, or even obese for that matter. I just kind of stopped working at it so I could stand to lose about 20 pounds.

I am the queen of the tards though! I realized at work as I was having major vision problems that my headaches may be partially caused by more very old glasses! i just haven't taken the time to go to the optometrist. Have to do it now!

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to soak in a hot tub with an icepack on the head.

~Kristin~

I get the type that you know are coming the night before or in the morning when you wake up, mostly when I wake up. The hollow, rotten feeling in the right side of my forehead and sometimes a faint metallic taste in my mouth. They started after a motorcycle wreck 5 years ago when I hit a van and took a biiig bang on the right side of my head (thanks to a Shoei RF900 I'm still here at all). The only pattern to them is, they come when I'm stressed or very tired and they are the puking, hide in the dark, thought process altering level migraines. My saviour is a drug called Relpax, a version of an Eletriptan that works, for me, like a silver bullet on the headaches. One pill and within an hour and a half the headache is gone. Only side effects are, for a couple of hours after it takes effect, I'm kinda spacey and a little slow witted. A welcome trade-off to kill the headache.
Have never been able to find any food, drink, activity (don't smoke and am not overweight) relationship to them other than stress and fatigue. I just keep my meds with me at all times and head them off as they start.

Last edited:
another headache causer: COMPUTER MONITOR REFRESH RATES. Not as big of a problem with LCD screens as the big old glass screens, but still an issue. Check with your IT people to get the highest rate possible on the screen you stare at for 8 hours everyday. Defaults are often 60HZ. Up that to 70HZ if possible, or more - the higher the better. or even more depending on your system.

I been curing headaches all over my company recently setting our glass screens refresh rates higher than 60

[and stop caffeine also]

THANKS AGAIN Y'ALL!

I still have a pretty nasty headache. I am getting nervouse because my neck is so very STIFF! In October 2006 I had the worst headache of my life and after three days of trying to deal with it at home finally went to the ER for treatmet. I wound up spending FIVE DAYS in the hospital because that headache was from MENINGITIS!
So now almost two years late I have a TeRRIBLE headache and a horrid feeling neck, I get scared. I just keep telling myself the neck issues are stress or rheumatology issues.

I have heard the name Relpax, but know nothing about it. Might be something worth discussing with doc.

Thanks Again. You all do not know how much the feedback is appreciated. :)

No about getthing that medical marijauna... :whistle: :whistle:

Back