Migraine Headaches, who gets em?

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
I ,(and an older sister),have had them most of our adult life, no fun:down: Mine seem to be triggered by Barometric pressure more than anything else. Excedrin Migraine helps, but prescription Maxalt is the only thing that knocks them out.

They seem to be getting more frequent for both my sister and I as we get older.

Any one else suffer? What do you do to help?

When is the last time you have had your vision checked? My dad would go through a bottle of excedrin a week and come to find out his it was his vision.

When is the last time you have had your vision checked? My dad would go through a bottle of excedrin a week and come to find out his it was his vision.

Great input!, it has been too long, I got a referral from my doc, (when I got my maxalt). I have an eye appt. in January.

Last edited:
Yep suffer the wrath of them as well.... But, luckily the OTC Excedrin seems to do the trick if caught early enough!

used to get 8 hour ones. then stopped ALL caffeine, pop, chocolate... now nothing. ever. takes 2 days for caffeine to fully leave my system. SOOOO worth it

Triggers: Nicotine, Second hand smoke, dehydration, dark sodas, chocolate and intense aromas like you find in the perfume section of your favorite department stores.

Excedrin is the best stuff.

They started becomming more frequent when i hit 23 but the past year they have begun to dwindle in frequency. I have not been able to pinpoint what has changed so i could share why. The only changes are I moved away from Las Vegas, just finished a year on a tropical island and am now in South Georgia. I am thinking allergens but my migraines started when i lived in Hawaii so your guess is as good as mine.

hey pal. I've been to 2 different neurologists and finally after 7 yrs I got something that actually works. RX imitrex stopped em until I got immuned to em but I finally got relief from a migraine treatment called Topamax! its a pill that you take everyday. its not pain reliever but a treatment for the nerve. I went from 14 migraines a month to maybe 2. medication not expensive either
Posted via Mobile Device

I have about 1 migraine a week since the motorcycle wreck in July of 07. I have just suffered through them for the past 17 months.... They last about 24 -48 hours and nothing would get rid of them.... I started taking zanaflex (non addictive, non narcotic muscle relaxer) every night before I got to bed. I have been on them for about 2 weeks now and I realized that I was not sleeping well before. My neck muscles are much more relaxed and the knots I have in my shoulder from the muscle damage are much smaller too. The zanaflex was to help keep the migraines away but if I do get one (I have since I started this) the Dr prescribed Temetrix (sp) which is imitrex and an NSAID together.. I get VERY VERY nausated when I first take the Temetrix for about 30 minutes to an hours but the migraines have left in about 2 hours... MIRACLE DRUG in my opinion... I have used this twice and after the nausea I go to sleep and wake up feeling fine, a little weak or puny feeling maybe but definately better.......... The only downfall so far is the cost... 300.00 for 9 pills they tell me. If you have long migraines you will know that the price is worth it.

Cap

+ 1 on the Topamax!! I would do a commercial for them if they asked. I have been on it a couple of years and they have decreased. I will say that I am finally learning the difference between stress headaches and full blown migraines. I work for Satan so I have been getting the stress headaches almost daily now!

Imitrex never worked for me, but Maxalt XLT is my best friend if I take it soon enough. If not I am curled up in the fetal position crying and puking like a hangover but way worse.

Be very careful with the Topamax though if you are prone to kidney stones. For some reason, it exacerbates the problem and causes more stones!! I will tell you after being on Topamax for a couple of years I tried to taper off and not take it at the begining of this year and I really noticed a difference. I waited a couple of months and went back. Worth a try, especially if you have a doc that will give out samples. :)

What a great subject..

The office I work does a lot of Migraine treatment (allergy issues are often related).. After you watch hundreds of patients every year go through with "Migraine" issues, it is amazing at the results of treatment and the wide scope of what works.. (and what does not)

Sleep, allergy meds, narcotics, NSAIDs, exercise, diet changes, stress management, and sometimes nothing at all... Big problem is that there are different types of migraines and so treatment varies a lot.. (there are a lot of migraine complaints that are technially not even migraines)...

Doc says that process of elimination works best.. try the easy stuff first (diet and sleep ,exercise and environmental controls) and use the heavy hitter stuff last (narcotics and other Rx solutions)

Creating a "clean" room (normally the bedroom) where allergens are eliminated or at least controlled can fix a good number of problems.. (No pets in bedroom either, pet dander is a major contributer) Hard floors, mattress covers etc to control dust mites and their feces (another big issue).

I feel for people with chronic migraines... tough problem to deal with..

Do keep trying new stuff till you find one that works...

dust mite feces.... [shudder] ....:laugh: I could have gone the rest of my life with out having that brought up to worry about!

Life long sufferer of 'cluster headaches' here and no drug was ever enough to help with them.

Believe it or not.... hot peppers and green veggies were the source of mine! Doctor did not agree but when I eliminated those items from my diet they all but vanished!

dust mite feces.... [shudder] ....:laugh: I could have gone the rest of my life with out having that brought up to worry about!
guess you do not want to hear about how much weight gain in your bedding is from this either huh? :rofl:

I am going to get some of our environmental controls literature scanned for anyone that wants to read it..

My triggers for the last couple of years have been light and dust. I turn on the air filter and find a dark place to hide. I usually listen to music very softly while I wait to see if Excedrin kicks it. If not, I take an Imetrix. I know it's coming when my right eye goes blurry, and I feel like something is pushing against the back of my eyes. I started having them after my first back surgery. A friend has suggested that the disc material that's leaking may be contaminating my spinal fluid to a small degree. I guess I will find out if that's the case in a few more weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've had them off and on since highschool... the swelling ussually pinches my optical nerves and everything goes fuzzy as hell. along with some of the most horible pain ever! a dark room to help relieve your eyes and pressure on the back and sides of your neck to reduce the extra blood flow to your brain.

If you can catch it early before it sets in use your right hand thumb and first finger to pinch your left hand between the thumb and finger do this for a min or so and you will feel the pain stopping

sounds stupid but it works have had migranes for almost 20 years and have learned lots of tricks....

Great to have such response to this thread:thumbsup:, also sad to see so many others with the same painfull affliction:down:. Many in the same painful boat, I guess we have our crosses to bare.

As painful as it is, I consider myself lucky not having a worse affliction.:please:

Seriously, try dumping ALL caffeine first. you might be suprised. might take a week or two to really clear it out

Mine also started after a bike wreck several years ago. Blasted my head hard, even through a Shoei RF900 it knocked me out cold for a minute or so. Headaches started shortly after that and got progressively worse unto the point of making me hide in the dark and have the dry heaves like drinking too much whiskey.
Stress and fatigue seems to be the triggers that set them off, but I have a prescription drug called Relpax that works like a silver bullet when one is coming on. The headaches always come in the right, upper side of my head (the same area that hit the van). Sometimes I know it's coming when I wake up in the morning, sometimes it can boil up from no where and sucker punch me in the period of a half an hour. The Relpax always saves me, and for this small favor I'm truly grateful.

Mine also started after a bike wreck several years ago. Blasted my head hard, even through a Shoei RF900 it knocked me out cold for a minute or so. Headaches started shortly after that and got progressively worse unto the point of making me hide in the dark and have the dry heaves like drinking too much whiskey.
Stress and fatigue seems to be the triggers that set them off, but I have a prescription drug called Relpax that works like a silver bullet when one is coming on. The headaches always come in the right, upper side of my head (the same area that hit the van). Sometimes I know it's coming when I wake up in the morning, sometimes it can boil up from no where and sucker punch me in the period of a half an hour. The Relpax always saves me, and for this small favor I'm truly grateful.

I was wearing an RF1000 and was out for about 10 minutes.... I hit my left side on the truck but my headaches are in the same place and come on just like you described... Hey maybe we should sue Shoei for causing the headaches!

CAp

Back