lost it in a corner  BUSA DOWN!

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Alrighty then! The man DETERMINED to NEVER wreck has gone down. Learn what you can from my experience. I STILL believe it is possible to have a cycle and NEVER wreck, but God had other plans for me today. Was this REALLY a wreck? I have to say yes, but WAY on the light side. Kinda like tipping it over while stopped. Anywho.... it was in a corner... at about 10 MPH in my parking lot.... follow along with me....

rolling into my apartment complex at 10-15 mph I always slow down for this blind left... I was a little right of center and although there is sand on the edges of path, the driving part was perfectly clear... a truck was coming around the corner, so I pulled my front to slow up, figuring it would straiten me even more up right and I could easily swing wide out of it's way adn share the lane...

turn.JPG

... but pavement which I have come to know as clean and clear for the last 10 years had one loose pebble in it... you can see how the pavement is made up of tar and small rocks, so as I hit the front brake, the weight pushing down and forward rolled that pebble up and out and I think it acted like a ball bearing and just rolled the front tire off to the right. it was like ICE, so fast I didn't have time to put a leg down. I fell off the the bike slide like 3 feet on it's side with a horrible crunching sound...

rock.JPG

and THIS was the result: tiny scrape on teh front fender, scrape on back of mirror, HUGE scrap on left fairing, main fairing bolt was ground and broke off, some dings on the exhaust. and that was it. no broken ANYTHING, no bent pegs or levers or wires or cracked fairing, a couple plastic rivits came out also.

side.JPG

my bike is WELL used. 17000+ miles on it since 03, and I've had alot of fun on it. and still will. it's tad broken in now but I can't think of a better bike outr there. Went and sat on some 05 1k's today..... mmmmmmyaa.... . nice but not "lucious"
smile.gif
I'm gonna get the rivets and bolts replaced, get the fairing sanded/painted next fall. the pipe is fine and doesnt need replaced. a bike is a material object and i'm fine with what happened.

I WAS WEARING FULLY LEATHERS AND DIDN'T FEEL A THING WHEN I HIT THE GROUND.

The people in the truck got out to see if I was okay adn help stand the bike up. It was not as hard to pick up as I assumed it would be. It leaked coolant out of the reserve tank while on it's side. I did take it to the dealer for quick inspection after riding about 100 miles and they thought it was all fine.

pipe.JPG

Sorry for your bike's pains, but glad it was not you in the pain.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112484394 -->

analysis: should I have done anything different? I don't think so. I still don't think I did anything wrong. you are welcome to tell me otherwise. I ALWAYS scan the pavement for loose ANYTHING, anywhere, where ever I ride, I ride realistic speeds in populated areas, I've been around that corner a billion billion times since it's 200 feet away from my apartment, my tires were someone heated up and pressure was lowered to 36, and yet the loose rock was invisible to me and did what it was supposed to do: make me take a dive
smile.gif
I don't think there was anything I could have done any different that could have prevented it. This can happen anywhere to anyone. At least I was prepared with a good attitude about what is really important and I had full leathers on as always. No leathers and I would have mashed ground my hand, scraped off skin on my calf and butt and shoulder. Keep in mind this was at 10-12 MPH

Here's the junk that fell off my bike that I could find.

Ride safe, and have a nice day!
biggrin.gif

parts.JPG

I can fix the plastic and stator cover...give me a shout.....sorry about the drop man...like I have always said there are two kinds of riders..those who have fallen and those who will....

thanks guys. yeah bike is fixable. still rides VERY SOLID as usual. I'll find out tomorrow any bones I hurt today hahahaha
smile.gif

If you can think of anything I did wrong or need to improve lay it on me. I can't think of a think. just seemed like dumb street surface luck. man, I miss the track!! I'l be on Road America in 2 weeks!! YESSS!!!

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112484823 -->

Very sorry about your bike, WWJD, but glad you didn't get hurt in the process!
cool.gif

When you said "I pulled my front" did you mean you got on your front brake?
rock.gif

Also, I'm sorry that you went down but you seem to have taken it in stride! Glad you weren't hurt and were riding the "Grey Goose" a couple minutes after!
cool.gif

thanks guys.  yeah bike is fixable.  still rides VERY SOLID as usual.  I'll find out tomorrow any bones I hurt today  hahahaha  
smile.gif

If you can think of anything I did wrong or need to improve lay it on me.  I can't think of a think.  just seemed like dumb street surface luck.    man, I miss the track!!   I'l be on Road America in 2 weeks!!  YESSS!!!
I got something...put some sliders on the thing. My bike did a 360 on its side and all i had were ground sliders...the other damage was from the flip

Thing that matters is you're OK. Post Mortems can be usefull, but sometimes 2 wheels are just not enough. It happens and it's not always a learning experience. Glad you came through fine.

GREG GREG GREG man sorry to hear that. Thats some major rash.... I feel for ya.

it was a killer time today. But I think I may have broke or sprained my ankle. I was probably the fastest rider there. broke my footpeg bracket when I about lost it and it creamed into my ankle.

Damn man were dropping like flies
blush.gif

When you said "I pulled my front" did you mean you got on your front brake?
rock.gif

Also, I'm sorry that you went down but you seem to have taken it in stride! Glad you weren't hurt and were riding the "Grey Goose" a couple minutes after!
cool.gif
yeah, front break. the truck suprised me but I didn't PANIC stop. that corner ALWAYS has a 'surprise' waiting and I know this, and like usual, I was ready for it. breaking to get out of cars way is the norm right there and I have done it many, many many times before... sometimes even harder. Again, I wasn't jacking around or speeding at all. I'm no stranger to jamming the front brakes and still maintaining control.... just that one lil pebble this time....
smile.gif

I cant think of any other way I should have handled it other than not go that way... which... I didn't know to do obviously
smile.gif

smile.gif

thanks guys. yeah bike is fixable. still rides VERY SOLID as usual. I'll find out tomorrow any bones I hurt today hahahaha
smile.gif

If you can think of anything I did wrong or need to improve lay it on me. I can't think of a think. just seemed like dumb street surface luck. man, I miss the track!! I'l be on Road America in 2 weeks!! YESSS!!!
I got something...put some sliders on the thing. My bike did a 360 on its side and all i had were ground sliders...the other damage was from the flip
ya know, since the day I got my Busa, I considered doing that seriously... hindsight bla bla bla
biggrin.gif
hahahaha

Thing that matters is you're OK. Post Mortems can be usefull, but sometimes 2 wheels are just not enough. It happens and it's not always a learning experience. Glad you came through fine.
man, I would LOVE to have LEARNED something but I just don't feel like I did. I think I learned they need to make that a ONE WAY area to avoid possible blind accidents
smile.gif

Glad to hear your ok and seem to have a good mind set about what happened. Sorry about the damage to your bike but your right it can be fixed a lot easier than you can.Stay safe man I enjoy reading your posts on here.
smile.gif

Back