How to transport bike in pickup ?

kml

Donating Member
Registered
Do you use two or four tie downs, on the side stand on the center stand, bike vertical suspension compressed, straps all pulling to the front the rear straps pulling backwards, bike in straight or sideways in bed what kind of wheel chock do you use, or do you just flop it over on it's side because it's going to fall over anyway? Got a link to a good how to? Any good reason why you do, what you do, other than tradition.

cheers
ken

I hate hauling a bike in the back of a truck. But, if I had to, use a chock. Tie down the front the two straps and compress the suspension. Tie the back down pulling forward and down toward the front of the truck. I have hauled mine before on the side stand. Not sure if that is good or bad, just seemed reasonable but tied it down so as not to overly stress the side stand, if that makes sense. Now that I have seen them, I wouldnt haul one without a Baxley.

Compression of the front suspension is the key to any transporting of the bike. What kind of truck would you be haulin' yours in? Is the bed long enough or will you have to use the tailgate to support the bike? Would always recommend a chock, but not required. What ramp support will you use to load the bike?

I've done it with the bike vertical, front suspension compressed, chock for front wheel(so fender doesn't contact the truck), 2 straps on the front and 2 straps for rear, though the rear is more of back-up system than needed.

The thing I hate about trucks is the loading and unloading. Trucks are so high off the ground. That's why I perfer trailers.

I have a chock bolted in the bed, two 200lb eye bolts bolted to the inside of the bed to tie down the bars, and I run two tie downs from the passenger pegs down between the bed and the tailgate to the reciever.  I have a standard 6ft box so I can't close the tailgate.  
I was advised not to compress the suspension too much because the seals can leak after a long trip.
For loading and unloading I have a ramp that folds in thirds so I can sit on the bike and put Both feet on the ramp.

Look into a canyon dancer...it slides over the grips without damaging them and gives you a place to hook the tie downs...for front. Pull them down tight compress the forks more than the bumpy ride will. Secure the back as well, so it can't walk left or right.
In the back if you criss cross them even better...from the right reach through hook to the left side and from left reach through and pull it back...even less chance to walk.

If you haul in an box trailer the "X" method in the back will save the car from contacting the wall.

Granted, it wasn't too far, maybe 20 - 30 miles, but this is how I transported GSXcite's Busa after his wreck.

Ideally, I would have put one of our Baxley Chocks in there, but this worked...

IMG00281.jpg

I use a canyon dancer, wheel chock, four ratchet straps, hold the bike vertical and compress the suspension. In another post someone mentioned they used the kick stand. I just wanted to be sure I was going about it the right way.

cheers
ken

Old school 2wD Dodge Dakota long box tail gate up, 2-2x4's in front of wheel, 2 straps compressing the forks and over a hundred miles..

no problem...
beerchug.gif

Two on the front to compress the forks. A 2x6 keeps the fender from touching the bulkhead. Two straps on the rear peg brackets as insurance. One heavy strap around through the rear wheel keeps it all in the center of the bed. I've hauled a few heavy bikes like that. Distance varies from 20 to over 200 miles each time.

Canyon dancer, two to the front, forks compressed, and two on the back to keep the bike from moving back and forth..... hauled two sport bikes in an 8 foot box GMC 1/2 ton to Daytona and back from Toronto numerous times.... no troubles...

cool.gif

With a Baxley chock there is no need to put straps on the front and pull the suspension down. Pull into the chock, two straps pulling forward and out and your all set. I have hauled four busas in this manner thousands of miles with no problems. The bikes will not budge!
ThumbsUp.gif

post_6_50302_CIMG2992__Small_.jpg

Canyon dancer, two precautionary tiedowns in rear...only things I would add is I use the little double loop handlebar straps in rear...really helps avoid scratches (no metal hooks touching bike). Two other things: only compress front suspension a small amount (I did blow out a seal doing monster cinching of front end once) and I like the idea of using kickstand down on small piece of plywood. Raydog

P1000294.JPG

+1 on putting something in front of the front tire...so you don't scratch the fender.

+1 Thats what I use, short extensions around the passenger pegs. I'll see if this angle will show it better.

post_6_50078_CIMG2987__Small_.jpg

The instructions I got with the Baxley chock said that they could be used in the back of a pickup without bolting the chock down, although since I have the trailer I have not used it in the back of a pickup.

GSXcite, it's hard for me to be in a pick up truck conversation when I see your flagship, luxurious, enclosed palace! Raydog

GSXcite, it's hard for me to be in a pick up truck conversation when I see your flagship, luxurious, enclosed palace!           Raydog
Sorry.
shutup.gif
I used to haul mine in the back of a pickup for years, then on a small 5'X10' open trailer. I always wanted a trailer that I could put all the gear in and be able to do repairs on someones busa that rode in for an event, that was far from home. I also wanted to be able to haul some of my pals bikes. When I started shopping for a trailer, I found the bigger ones were not that much more $$. I had a 6' X 12' picked out, but my wife (god love her) said, "you will not be happy with the small one, and you will just wan't a bigger one". Since she is always right
laugh.gif
I went for the bad boy!
ThumbsUp.gif

Canyon dancer, two precautionary tiedowns in rear...only things I would add is I use the little double loop handlebar straps in rear...really helps avoid scratches (no metal hooks touching bike). Two other things: only compress front suspension a small amount (I did blow out a seal doing monster cinching of front end once) and I like the idea of using kickstand down on small piece of plywood.     Raydog
Yep, just like this!!!

Back