How often does you Busa see 6th gear

I was gonna say....
How the hell are you guys getting 40+ MPG's?
LOL

I'm a spirited rider (Not aggressive) and my best was about 28mpg's

Also are you guys serious about doing 30MPH in 6th gear?
I'm barely in 2nd doing 30

That's why you're getting 28 MPG :laugh:

the bikes are different, even though they're mass produced.

One busa gives me 38 mpg, another does 50 with the same riding. Could also vary a lot based on climate, road conditions, maintenance (oil changes, air filters), gearing (did you change the sprockets?) and fuel mapping..

Don't forget your speedo error. Those who think they are getting 50 are actually getting 45 unless they do an error correction or are using a speedohealer. I routinely get 45 corrected. I tend to short shift and use 6th on the freeway and on long straights above 55. Torque is a good thing.

I get 47.5 corrected mpg all the time; even surpassing 50 mpg on occasion. I am into sixth gear as soon as practical and I stay there until it is no longer practical.

Stock pipes?

No. I have a Yoshimura header and a Hindle titanium can. My bike does weight about 55 pounds less than stock due to modifications that I have made, plus I weight only 180. That may make a slight difference but I think it is primarily in the wrist.

No. I have a Yoshimura header and a Hindle titanium can. My bike does weight about 55 pounds less than stock due to modifications that I have made, plus I weight only 180. That may make a slight difference but I think it is primarily in the wrist.

Thx

Did you do any mapping changes after the pipe, or running stock settings?

Only places I'd be looking at MPG is going across the Everglades or desert, LoL

Ha. 99% of my time is spent at posted speed limits. Why do 70 in 2nd when you can cruise it in 6th? Now if I need to drop it down to 2nd for a specific reason, that only takes a second.

I have my 28MPG days also.....lol. But for the most part, I get up into 6th (usually by 45 MPH) as quickly as possible and keep my RPMs down. An additional benefit to this is higher mileage.

Switched to 43 tooth rear so use 6th gear on every ride. Perfect on the freeway.

I get into 6th
every time I
get out of
town . . .

I tend to keep my RPM's
at or above 3K in town as
that keeps me in the range
to scoot out of the way of
stupid cagers quickly ,
this has saved my

bacon multiple times .

:beerchug:

Last edited:
I use 6th every time I ride. I am always doing HWY speeds and it goes through gas like crazy if I don't. My FJR is much better on gas obviously,

Back