How often does you Busa see 6th gear

I try to remember to get up to 6th whenever I'm on the freeway. I'm doing better and getting up at least 5th when I used to cruise around in 3rd and 4th. Was actually think today how soon I should shift to 6th and what RPM I should shoot for. I've been playing it by ear.*

I can get over 50 mpg but as of late it's been running in the low 40's.
I have yet to get 50mpg, what am I doing wrong? ‎

I achieved 50 mpg on my first ride. Purrs at 3.5. Worst I got was 28 and i consider that as hopped up miata status. Push comes to shove and we have to seriously worry about gas we can convert our bikes to all electric and go faster! Only negative is we'd have to make the vroom vroom noises in our helmets.

Cheers :)

I try to remember to get up to 6th whenever I'm on the freeway. I'm doing better and getting up at least 5th when I used to cruise around in 3rd and 4th. Was actually think today how soon I should shift to 6th and what RPM I should shoot for. I've been playing it by ear.*

I have yet to get 50mpg, what am I doing wrong? ‎

Your not shifting to 6th gear soon enough and are probably down shifting too soon also.
You should be able to keep it in 6th down to 30 mph or so when coming to a stop sign or stop light.
Upshifting (for normal riding) you should be in 6th by 50 mph or so.

Also best chance for seeing 50 mpg is a steady speed (say 70mph) on the highway for 50 or more miles at a crack.

Of course all this can be thrown out the window if you are racing, or on a spirited ride. :laugh:
But then you probably aren't looking for 50 mpg at that point.

One more thing is on another post you said you hit 100 mph in 1st gear.

Unless you have major gearing changes and tire changes that is very unlikely.
I have a gearing chart and a stock Busa (Gen I) at 10000 rpm will do 74.2 mph.
I confirmed that with my bike and saw about 70 mph at about 10000 rpm.
So do you have major gearing changes? If not I don't know how you went 100 mph in 1st.

Unless your speedometer is 25 mph off. :rofl: Also unlikely. :whistle:

This is an interesting thread. Because of the Busa's torque curve you can almost leave it in any one gear for most of the time. Whichever one is just about optional. For back road and most of my riding I leave it in third. On the highway I leave it in sixth but I enter the highway in third and rev it up to 10,000 plus. Then while slowing down, I do an empty shift into fourth, fifth and sixth.

I get in 6th gear when I can on the roads over here in the UK.
But the Busa seems to bog down if I go down to 50mph in 6th so I start changing down.
Have I got a problem here, I think it would not pull very well at 30mph in 6th gear at all.
Any advice.
2011 model by the way
Thanks.

This trick part is a simple plug in that vastly improves drivability in the lower gears and on the later top speed restricted models, the TRE removes the restriction.

I get in 6th gear when I can on the roads over here in the UK.
But the Busa seems to bog down if I go down to 50mph in 6th so I start changing down.
Have I got a problem here, I think it would not pull very well at 30mph in 6th gear at all.
Any advice.
2011 model by the way
Thanks.

No problem, yes the motor lags in 6th at 30mph

Actually hit it in high speed this weekend, I usually ride in 5th up to 150 and then bleed off speed, we had a closed 7.5 mile road that was very straight and I actually open her up. At 185 in 6th gear wanting to slow down, I let off the throttle, and she coasted. A scary as hell feeling knowing you CAN NOT hit the breaks. At 150 I down shifted and was able to slow down. It took longer to slow down than I really liked. I will not be doing that again.

No reason you can't use the brakes at speed (in smooth form). Keep your wits about you.

The air resistance also acts as a brake. As long as you have slow down room, as soon as you let off the throttle within a couple seconds the 150 mark will slide by. Brakes will be needed a lot more after that.

i get into 6th every time i get out of town...i tend to keep my RPM's at or above 3K in town as that keeps me in the range to scoot out of the way of stupid cagers quickly, this has saved my bacon multiple times :beerchug:

I was gonna say....
How the hell are you guys getting 40+ MPG's?
LOL

I'm a spirited rider (Not aggressive) and my best was about 28mpg's

Also are you guys serious about doing 30MPH in 6th gear?
I'm barely in 2nd doing 30

It all depends on what type of rider you are. One of the big things I love about the busa is the torque. I like riding around town shifting between 3-4 grand and no ever hears me. But again I don't think my bike even knows I'm on it since I don't weigh crap

OK my statement about 30mph in 6th gear was referring to slowing down.

Say you are on the highway and getting off at an exit. You can leave it in 6th until 30 mph no problem.
On rare occasions if I was in a 55 zone and came up on a intersection and then the light turned green and the cars
in front of me were just taking off - IF I had to reduce my speed to only 30 then I might very well leave it in 6th and excel
with the rest of the traffic back up to speed. If I had to slow down more then 30 coming up to the light then more than likely
I would down shift to 3rd or 4th.

So IF you wanted better mileage that is ONE thing you can do to help bump it up if you've never
got to 40mpg let alone 50mpg.

Again on a spirited ride your probably not going to do that - leave it in 6th down to 30mph.
But then your not looking for great mileage at that point either.

50+mpg is easiest to get when on a trip doing a steady 70-75 mph. But if you can't control yourself
and need to chase down the driver that just flew by you at 90, well then you can kiss the 50mpg goodbye. :laugh:

Eh, to each his own I guess.

Whenever I slow down I usually downshift as well.
This is whether I'm driving a manual transmission or my bike

Last thing I want to do is try and speed up...oh wait, I'm in the wrong gear to do that.
LOL

Yep.
That was my best.
And I'm not complaining because I didn't but a Hayabusa for the MPG's

LOL

I didn't buy mine for gas mileage either.
It's just a bonus if I'm going somewhere, I'm sure I can make a 200 mile round trip with no problems and still have gas left.

28mpg looks like you will be posting "I got a ticket today" sometime in the future. :rofl:

I don't know where you live. Hope it's not in VA as over 90mph is jail time. :banghead:

6th gear every time I ride. For 50mpg+, stay in 6th as often as possible. I can do 50mpg pretty easily on the interstate.

I have never seen over 45 in-town light to light.

I didn't buy mine for gas mileage either.
It's just a bonus if I'm going somewhere, I'm sure I can make a 200 mile round trip with no problems and still have gas left.

28mpg looks like you will be posting "I got a ticket today" sometime in the future. :rofl:

I don't know where you live. Hope it's not in VA as over 90mph is jail time. :banghead:

LOL

Nah, I'm in Jersey
I usually fill up at about 1/4 of a tank.
But I do remember one time I filled up and and rode till the gas light came on. That averaged a little over 28MPG.
I'm sure if I plan a nice long trip, I can get much more. Especially if it's all highway miles.

Back