dyna beads... update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And honestly regarding this statement Tuf, well I guess I gotta call well you know. Or should I say it like you:

OMG, please tell me you aren't serious with this statement! Noboby could be this far out of touch with reality and still be capable of mounting a tire. Apparently you haven't mounted a tire since 1979 !

I am more inclined to believe the tire manufacturer's who actually make the tire know maybe just a little more than a track coach on how their tires are made or what those stupid little #'s & arrows mean. Even the AMA think they actually mean something more besides just for water dispersion.

TireDesignations What those little numbers & arrows stand for

Not saying you haven't flopped them and run them the way you say and never had a problem doing so cause that would be me straight out calling you a liar with no proof what so ever since I don't know you or have never even met you. But isn't that what your doing by stating these won't work or are unsafe to use simply because you have never used them or "there's noone using them at the track" ?

I would like to see someone laying it on it's lips at 150 over a few bumps(unless someone were on a track with up to temp slicks) and I'm sure a hellava lot better rider than anyone on here chances are that front tire is not staying under you with beads or weights. Of course that's just my opinion.

Even if it did happen do you realize what kind of forces would be holding those beads outward outward on that tire? I'm not saying I do by any means, but I'm pretty sure it is gonna take helluva lot more than a bump to move them.

I'm happy to see you bring this up. Great post and a good question!

Let's dig just a little deeper here and see what we can do. The copy and paste from your google search has no author nor date. It's always been my approach to believe but verify. I have no idea if the author was a guy who works in a motorcycle shop who builds engines and mounts tires or if it was Jim Allen of Dunlop tires who spent most of his adult life engineering and developing motorcycle tires. And most likely the tires on your bike includes some of Jim Allen's technical engineering no matter who the manufacturer. However, there was a time in the past when your copied statement had clout.

The topic of this thread is balancing with dyna beads and my questions from the get-go has been "How do they work with performance riding" and notbody including yourself seems to be able to answer that question! Let's also explore how the arrow became part of the subject of the balancing a motorcycle tire. The OP actually brought up the subject when he suggested that a member who had poor results from beads may have mounted the tire in the wrong direction being his issue rather than the beads themselves. As I'm sure you know and the OP should have known, the direction has absolutely no bearing on whether the tire balances properly or not.

Before Jim Allen's recent retirement you'd find him hanging around Jason Pridmore's Star School on occasion. I had the priviledge of meeting and chatting with Jim twice. Being aware that opportunities of this nature doesn't come around very often I made good use of the chance encounters. Two things Jim shared with me that stood out. I ask him about tire direction and heat cycles. Jim simply said "If you wear the tire down on one side, flip it over and run it on the other side, it will work just fine". When ask about heat cycles Jim said "Heat cycles are an issue of the past. The tires we currently have available will be long worn out before heat cycles become an issue"! Since Jim Allen designed the tires I am currently using, I'm going to take his word over anything I find with a google search.

And just to put the directional arrow into perspective, between now and the time the snow flies in the fall you won't find hundreds but thousands of tires flipped (both race and street) for track use and I've never witnessed nor have I heard of anyone having an issue with a tire's performance when it's run against the arrow in dry conditions.

I would like to see someone laying it on it's lips at 150 over a few bumps(unless someone were on a track with up to temp slicks) and I'm sure a hellava lot better rider than anyone on here chances are that front tire is not staying under you with beads or weights. Of course that's just my opinion.
Your statement above is typical of guys who attend a track day for the first time. Nothing in their life has ever programmed them to lean a bike ten degrees at 150mph and the thought of planting a knee at these speeds are terrifying. However, the reality is, it's done on a regular basis. I can assure you it works just fine on both race and proper street tires such as the Dunlop Q2's. At Pacific Raceway which is our home track, turn one at the end of the front straight requires knee planting lean angles when a liter bike is involved with the throttle pinned. It's common practice for the fast guys to drag their knees through that corner. Some reach speeds closer to 180mph. I take two up rides on almost every track day. If you weigh less then 200 pounds I'll be happy to take you out for a few laps of high speed fun if you want to show up with satisfactory riding gear. All you do is sign a waiver that you understand the risk and hold no one responsible in case of a crash.

I thoroughly enjoy debates with guys like you. You make it fun and it becomes a learning experience not only for you and me, but for everyone who reads our thoughts. You were open and honest in your post, clearly stating you had no experience to base your opinion on and the content was strickly your opinion. I respect that a great deal!

The facts are, you don't know anything about how dyna beads affect a tires performance when it's pushed towards it's limits and neither do I. But then, neither does any other poster on this thread. I have never used beads and have never suggested they don't work nor suggested that you or anyone else refrain from their use. The only legitimate thing I have is what the manufacturer says which is "Not to use them if you exceed legal speeds or involved in any sort of racing". To me that reads volumes and I take them at their word. Others attempt to justify their choice by comparing a muffler that don't meet EPA standards with a warning sticker that says "For race use only" or "Not for highway use". Lame? I'd say so but that's just my opinion. :beerchug:

What round is it?:laugh:

132629053_crop_650x440.jpg

I have never used beads and have never suggested they don't work nor suggested that you or anyone else refrain from their use. The only legitimate thing I have is what the manufacturer says which is "Not to use them if you exceed legal speeds or involved in any sort of racing". To me that reads volumes and I take them at their word.
Had you said this from the beginning this thread would have died pages ago. But you got arrogant, challenging and insulting. I merely answered your challenges and we're back to the same point we agreed to by post 50. They work great in an off track DOT tire environment. The manufacturer doesn't recommend them for track use. OK, I'll keep that in mind next track day.
Others attempt to justify their choice by comparing a muffler that don't meet EPA standards with a warning sticker that says "For race use only" or "Not for highway use". Lame? I'd say so but that's just my opinion. :beerchug:
You absolutely missed the point, again. Suddenly the recommendations of a tire manufacturer are held paramount when it's the rule to go against the manufacturer everywhere else without regard to warranty or safety. That's the point.

the manufacturer tells you not to use them because they dont want to be liable for anything that could possibly happen because your doing it yourself. They want they also want the tires installed and balanced by a professional.... I mean mcdonalds puts "caution hot" on their coffee cups because no one would ever be dumb enough to burn themselves with coffee and sue them.... OH WAIT lmfao

I thought all track coaches were arrogant and condescending:snap:

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:
I know several and in all accounts they're generally very helpful and great to talk to. Soon to arrive company included. We've had words before and ended up having a plesant discussion by PM. I'm sure if we met in person we'd get along fine.

But they also all share a trait so some degree. They're like fighter pilots. You can always tell a fighter pilot, you just can't tell them much.

the manufacturer tells you not to use them because they dont want to be liable for anything that could possibly happen because your doing it yourself. They want they also want the tires installed and balanced by a professional.... I mean mcdonalds puts "caution hot" on their coffee cups because no one would ever be dumb enough to burn themselves with coffee and sue them.... OH WAIT lmfao

When the bead boys says "Not to be use in a machine that encounters high speed cornering", would you classify that as a warning, caution or a simple recommendation that the beads be installed by a professional bead installer? :poke:

I know several and in all accounts they're generally very helpful and great to talk to. Soon to arrive company included. We've had words before and ended up having a plesant discussion by PM. I'm sure if we met in person we'd get along fine.

But they also all share a trait so some degree. They're like fighter pilots. You can always tell a fighter pilot, you just can't tell them much.

Now you've gone from Ricky Racer to a Fighter Pilot! You are movin up my man! :poke:

I do have a few words of wisdom for you:
God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason.

You are as full of $hit as a christmas goose but you are entertaining.
With that said, I have reached a point somewhat like a Tom Cat Kissin a Skunk, it's been sweet baby but I've had about all I can stand! :puke:

I give up! You are the WINNER! :thumbsup:

Note, I compared you to the fighter pilot. Dumbass. Ignorant, narrow minded, unaccepting of differing points of view. I'm the same guy I've been all along. I've tried this product, know it works well in every situation I've put it in. Not your uber extreme track day antics, no. You haven't tried them. At all. And that's fine. Simply because apparently no racers like them and the manufacturer recommends against track use you've bashed everyone that dared disagree with you.

Here's a few wise words for you. Open your mind and free your heart. You're a good helpful guy around here and in person from what I've read. There's differing points of view, products for one arena don't always cross to another. A few tried and dislike this particular product but many more people like it and will use it again. But when someone says they like a product then several others agree it's not your job to crap as hard as you can on it. And simply cause it's not recommended for track use. OK, we get it. Track use at our own risk. And not in Dunlops at all.

I don't give a damn about winners and losers. However I decided to stand up against you. Seems you didn't like it much. Frankly I didn't either.

See, now I finally called you a name. Guess you're rubbing off on me.

When the bead boys says "Not to be use in a machine that encounters high speed cornering", would you classify that as a warning, caution or a simple recommendation that the beads be installed by a professional bead installer? :poke:

its a disclaimer just like plastic bags say choking hazard .. meaning if used wrong something can go wrong.. theres something that can always go wrong no matter what the product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back