dyna beads... update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to thank any and all comers to this thread which has been highly entertaining in the off season.:beerchug:

Whats funny is if you google dynabeads you find many links to bike forums with threads EXACTLY like this one. :laugh:

However, I can guarantee there will be one Einstein who will argue that he has been 170mph and is still alive so this warning means nothing! :laugh:
173 according to the little GPS thingy, but who's really counting.

Who was it that said something about not knowing when to stop?

We got past racing purposes a few pages ago. For the 99% that ride in the real world they work just fine, per many fine folks on this forum. You can read, can't you?

Still waiting on your proof. All it seems you can do is ride the coattails of others when they come up with something.

Good thing that no one here runs a TRE, ECM flashing, alters their suspension to suit their riding style, modifies their engines, swaps exhaust, breaks their engine per motoman or anything else!

Sorry, just struck me as funny that the manufacturers recommendation is now held in such high regard.???

It seems that there have been problems with Dyna Beads and certain tires. Some riders on other forums have reported problems where the chemical used in the mold release turned a bit sticky once heated up and made the beads stick to the inside of the tire instead of roll around and balance the tire.

Some others on the other hand have reported no issues in thousands of miles on the same model of tire, namely the PR2 which is what I plan to purchase again. I have been running a set of PR2's for over 12K miles now and am going to get another set and may or may not balance with Dyna Beads. Need to do some more research to see if it is tire specific or just a fluke that some of these people are having problems.

Here's the alternative, and it's proven to work.
Excellent quality, balances perfectly, adjustable feet, built in bubble level, ball bearing mounts, ridiculously overbuilt and super strong, ect. ect.
Buy it once, own it forever.
A bag of stick on weights is about $7 in plain aluminum or black, and will do many many sets of tires.
Dynabead guys, run em and enjoy! Everyone else, pay the dealer or get one of these!
Oh, site sponsor too.:thumbsup:

Standard Wheel Balancing Stand Motorcycle Static Wheel Balancing Stands : Motorcycle Lift Tables, Stands, Chocks, & Trailers, Plus Automotive 2 & 4 Post Lifts

Deluxe Wheel Balancing Stand Motorcycle Static Wheel Balancing Stands : Motorcycle Lift Tables, Stands, Chocks, & Trailers, Plus Automotive 2 & 4 Post Lifts

Here's the alternative, and it's proven to work.
Excellent quality, balances perfectly, adjustable feet, built in bubble level, ball bearing mounts, ridiculously overbuilt and super strong, ect. ect.
Buy it once, own it forever.
A bag of stick on weights is about $7 in plain aluminum or black, and will do many many sets of tires.
Dynabead guys, run em and enjoy! Everyone else, pay the dealer or get one of these!
Oh, site sponsor too.:thumbsup:

Standard Wheel Balancing Stand Motorcycle Static Wheel Balancing Stands : Motorcycle Lift Tables, Stands, Chocks, & Trailers, Plus Automotive 2 & 4 Post Lifts

Deluxe Wheel Balancing Stand Motorcycle Static Wheel Balancing Stands : Motorcycle Lift Tables, Stands, Chocks, & Trailers, Plus Automotive 2 & 4 Post Lifts
Honestly probably the best post in the thread!:bowdown:

The way I see it is that if they work then great, I have a constantly balancing tire which in turn may extend the life of the tire and give me a smooth ride. When you commute 120 miles a day, 600 miles a week, mileage out of a tire is a great thing.

If they don't work, what have I lost, $15?

I will remove the tires and have them balanced with the lead weights and fully satisfied that I tried something that may have worked, but did not work for my application.

I am going to do some more research and will probably buy the Dyna Beads and give them a shot. If they turn out not to work, oh well, at least I tried instead of just saying "well some one on the internet told me they were crap" and never try them.

I have several products from Redline and think that the work they do there is great. I may end up going the route you suggested Six if the lead weights is where I need to be.

Good thing that no one here runs a TRE, ECM flashing, alters their suspension to suit their riding style, modifies their engines, swaps exhaust, breaks their engine per motoman or anything else!

Sorry, just struck me as funny that the manufacturers recommendation is now held in such high regard.???

This thread is sorta like that drink you know you shouldn't, but you just have to.:laugh: As soon as I seen manufactures recommendations I thought of that too. I just thought it was funny cause it seems no matter what add-on,modification,upgrade you do most always clearly state "Not Approved for Street Use" "For Closed Course/Race Use Only" don't they. ??? But we still put them on the street.

Yoshi.jpg

brocks.jpg

brocks 2.jpg

Rollin20z said:
This thread is sorta like that drink you know you shouldn't, but you just have to.:laugh: As soon as I seen manufactures recommendations I thought of that too. I just thought it was funny cause it seems no matter what add-on,modification,upgrade you do most always clearly state "Not Approved for Street Use" "For Closed Course/Race Use Only" don't they. ??? But we still put them on the street.

Not arguing the fact of going against manufacturer's recommendations but most do not directly effect every aspect of riding as do tires.

Forum Runner

My tires aren't on my bike long enough for them to become unbalanced...:whistle:
Even if I did loose a weight during a ride, I would notice it the next time I got on the bike as I check each and every time...Is that weird or too much anal retentiveness? I don't think so, all it takes but a minute or two.

My tires aren't on my bike long enough for them to become unbalanced...:whistle:
Even if I did loose a weight during a ride, I would notice it the next time I got on the bike as I check each and every time...Is that weird or too much anal retentiveness? I don't think so, all it takes but a minute or two.

on any drag vehicle you have to have your survival checklist... if things arent right you dont survive no your not too retentive

OMG, please tell me you aren't serious with this series of posts! Noboby could be this far out of touch with reality and still be capable of mounting a tire. Apparently you haven't mounted a tire since 1979 when tires were actually directional. The days of bias ply tires are now in the distant past. It's time to catch up with technology and think "Radial"!

Let me help you out a little on that directional arrow on the sidewall of most if not all current motorcycle tires. The only reason that arrow exists is because the tread is designed to shed water efficiently in one direction. The carcass could care less which direction it rotates. Ask any guy who attends track days or races. We all flip the tire when it shows wear on one side. And, I might add that wearing the rubber down on one side has absolutely no effect on balance. I too have flipped my fair share of tires. Mark the valve stem position, flip the tire over and pop it on the balance machine and bingo, still in balance. It's the odd tire that will be out of balance and its usually due to loosing a wheel weight or wasn't balanced when it was mounted. This is true with both race and street tires.

And honestly regarding this statement Tuf, well I guess I gotta call well you know. Or should I say it like you:

OMG, please tell me you aren't serious with this statement! Noboby could be this far out of touch with reality and still be capable of mounting a tire. Apparently you haven't mounted a tire since 1979 !

I am more inclined to believe the tire manufacturer's who actually make the tire know maybe just a little more than a track coach on how their tires are made or what those stupid little #'s & arrows mean. Even the AMA think they actually mean something more besides just for water dispersion.

Rotation and balance marks
One of the more critical marks on a motorcycle tire is the rotation arrow, or arrows. Today's specialized tires generally have a tread pattern that must go in only one direction. Some manufacturers even state that their tread patterns are designed to disperse water, and by mounting the tire backwards, they won't work.

The other big reason for noting wheel direction has to do with the manufacturing process. The tread rubber is initially a flat strip that's cut to length, at an angle, and then spliced together with the two ends overlapping, creating a hoop. Under acceleration, a tire mounted backwards will try to peel back this splice. The opposite is true for the front wheel, where directional forces are reversed under hard braking.

Another mark to look for when mounting a tire is a painted balance dot, or dots. Most tires are pre-balanced by the manufacturer. They will then put a mark on the tire indicating where the valve stem should line up.

TireDesignations What those little numbers & arrows stand for

Not saying you haven't flopped them and run them the way you say and never had a problem doing so cause that would be me straight out calling you a liar with no proof what so ever since I don't know you or have never even met you. But isn't that what your doing by stating these won't work or are unsafe to use simply because you have never used them or "there's noone using them at the track" ?

Try laying it on it's lips at your 150mph over a few bumps to rattle those beads around and see if the front tire stays under you?

I would like to see someone laying it on it's lips at 150 over a few bumps(unless someone were on a track with up to temp slicks) and I'm sure a hellava lot better rider than anyone on here chances are that front tire is not staying under you with beads or weights. Of course that's just my opinion.

Even if it did happen do you realize what kind of forces would be holding those beads outward outward on that tire? I'm not saying I do by any means, but I'm pretty sure it is gonna take helluva lot more than a bump to move them.

Awesome! I love a good debate and this has been really neat. I have never read a thread on here where so many people who know what they are talking about totally disagree on something so primary as balancing a tire. I am of course totally ignorant about the subject. I get mine balanced but never even thought about that changing - but there is a lot of rubber missing on those tires when I change them. Wouldn't it be funny if Tuf found out the guys in front of him all had little beads in their tires :laugh:

Keep schooling me guys........:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back