dyna beads... update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

card16969

Registered
Ok so like 7 or 8 months ago there was a few posts about people using dyna balancing beads.. while to me it makes sense as a mechanic just like a auto inflation system on high end cars which adds 10k+ mileage to the tires i want to hear an update from the people who have actually used them and their current opinions. I talked to a buddy who worked on a superbike team and the reason why they dont use any type of internal balancing media is because a tire is never on the rim for more than a week and thats having 15-20 tires on the rack and the media is too much of a hassle to change out that often so weights are easier. Also i want to know on high end pulls what kind of results you guys are seeing with them instead of just 70-90 i want to know what they handle like at 100+

I know of one guy that works for my insurance company with a CBR600 that has been using them for a while now with now problems at all.

From what I understand they help a tire "stay" in balance while in motion through the course of the life of the tire. With proper inflation it should help extend the service life of a tire.

Ive used them on every bike Ive own they work great. When I took my GSXR 750 to over 180mph dyna beads were in the tires. I had no issues. All my friends use them in there bikes too. I just put a batch in to the new tires on my 08 Busa. The trickiest part of using them is getting them in the tire. I use a squirt boodle and some clear rubber hose. Poor them in slowly or theyll get stuck on the valve stem. If they get stuck flick the hose and they will start to slowly flow in again. I also buy them in bulk and take them to my pharmacist to measure them out as accurately as possible. It helps that he rides too and uses dyna beads on his own bike. Ive been using them for almost 5years now with no problems. I'm hopping to run my Busa at the Mojave Mile this year and that should be a good test of how they preform.

I am a firm believer of doing things correctly, and im sorry but Dyna beads are not rhe correct way to balance a tire

If dyna beads were the trick option to balancing tires every professional racer would be using them.

Any aftermarket product that no high speed professional will use should answer all your questions. :dunno:

You can always learn what works and what doesn't by hanging around the race track. If it's out there, some cheap a$$ racer has tried it.

Thanks Tuf!
If dyna beads were the trick option to balancing tires every professional racer would be using them.

Any aftermarket product that no high speed professional will use should answer all your questions. :dunno:

You can always learn what works and what doesn't by hanging around the race track. If it's out there, some cheap a$$ racer has tried it.

Who here can say they have had a bike tire out of balance? My group bought a No-Mar tire changer and half the time we don't even balance the tire. I run over 160 mph at the track and don't notice anything. My street bikes get ridden above the speed limit every now and then and I haven't noticed anything. I do typically balance the front just because it will be on a lot longer. My point is it seems the debate is pointless - what is the measure of success/failure of Dynabeads?

Tuf and GixerHp I think dyna beads aren't used at the track because it's as he mentioned, they are too difficult to install and with changing tires all the times it would be a hassle. There seems to be a lot of folks like yourselves against them but with no real proof or stories saying why they don't work.
No offense but is yalls affinity toward dyna beads based on your religious upbringing :rofl:

Seriously though other than pita installation why are you two against them?

I did a lot of research over the past 48 hours on these things and have placed an order with Pashnit to have a kit sent to me. I ride 120 miles a day for work and will have these in before the riding season starts. I think they will work, and look forward to not having weights on the rim, also having the tire constantly balancing while riding.

I have posted up about them in the past as well and still feel the same, dyna beads are nothing short of wonderful. I have ran them in my bike for about 7 years and the company I work for also uses them in the steer and drive tires on our big trucks. The only issue I ever had was I put them in a fresh tire change and the mechanic was a little generous with the bead lube and they stuck to it and caused an off balance. That was with bead grease and I won't let em use it anymore, only something that dries. Wheel weights are fine and do there job but when I paid the money for my first set of nice wheels the last thing I wanted to do is draw attention to a group of ugly weights.

I"ve enuff to do one tire left over, you can have it for free, and no I wont be buying it agian. I but that crap in a new d404 for the vtx, and it rode like shid!

No offense but is yalls affinity toward dyna beads based on your religious upbringing :rofl:

No kidding.

We have been arguing about Dyna Beads for years. I can recall doing this same exact thread 3-4 years ago with the exact same comments. The only people that say they don't work and are those that have never tried them. Go figure.

Let's do devils advocate. If 1000 riders tried them for the first time, and they did not work. What would happen? Those 1000 guys would not use them anymore, and tell their buddies they suck. It's just that simple. That didn't happen. Instead, Dyna Beads made converts out those 1000 riders.

All you that have not tried them, try it for one tire change and see if you notice any difference.

Then you can post they don't work.

I could see how they wouldnt' work for racers or people that wear out tires really often, but if they did as they advertised, i could also see how they might work well for those on touring tires who didn't change so often. You use them on your bike Tim?

If dyna beads were the trick option to balancing tires every professional racer would be using them. Any aftermarket product that no high speed professional will use should answer all your questions. :dunno:You can always learn what works and what doesn't by hanging around the race track. If it's out there, some cheap a$$ racer has tried it
.....To say that an aftermarket product does not function properly because it is not used by the racing community is a far to narrow a definition to determine a products worth. Centerstand, heated clothing, touring windshield, cruise control etc etc. ...cheers ken

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using them for over a year on several sets and I love them. I spoon my tires on myself, saves me a trip to the dealer for a balance. I just order them with the tires. I can say I get more miles but they seem to run smooth for the life of the tire.

Well I guess I am one of the few that have actually tried them and don't like them. I currently have them in my Daytona 1200 and they will not be replaced when I change tires this season. They are a little bouncy when I first take off, that's of no concern to me. It seems that after 20ish miles they start to cause an imbalance which only gets worse until I stop and start again. I frequently go for rides that use a full tank without stopping. The Triumph is also a heavy, smooth sportbike and I only run with quality tires so it's very similar to the Busa. I did not put them in my Busa tires after my experience last season with the Triumph. YMMV but they are not for me.

Who here can say they have had a bike tire out of balance? My group bought a No-Mar tire changer and half the time we don't even balance the tire. I run over 160 mph at the track and don't notice anything. My street bikes get ridden above the speed limit every now and then and I haven't noticed anything. I do typically balance the front just because it will be on a lot longer. My point is it seems the debate is pointless - what is the measure of success/failure of Dynabeads?

I can say I've had a few tires over the years that vibrated badly without weights. I always balance them now.
We use a Redline stands balancer and stick on weights.
I asked the question about dynabeads last year too, and I won't be trying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back