Casper to the Keys and back. travel log w/pics

Thanks for sharing all the great pics! Sorry to hear about the damage, but at least you have a good story to tell.

Jello all, I write yall tonight from Opelousas Louisiana. Super 8 rm 120 to be exact. Oh where do I start? I guess I start in the beginning, and when I get to the end…..i’ll stop. Lol
Ok I woke up in paris at 8:30, and 9, and finally got up around 9:30. There was not a clock in the room, and I have been having charger problems with the phone/camera. Fixed that this evening with a stop at radio shack. I had stopped at 4 different dollar stores in the past 1000mi and they were all sold out of the wall charger for my phone. (I thought strange, all stores out of the same thing!?!) I boggied on down the road for 130mi before I even woke up. Ive been pretty tired last few days. Started to feel good about 4pm this afternoon. Think my muscles finally built up and relaxed.
Oh! What woke me up was..MY 1ST POWER WHEELIE! Not just a little hop, my 1ST full rise! Felt total control, turned onto another highway, went through 1ST into 2ND and wacked it with meaning. Thought I’d just whip up to the 65mph speed limit, and YEE HAW!!! Didn’t ride it long, but long enough to feel it and totally know what was happening. I think I am gaining horse power as I get closer to the sea. Bessie never did that in Casper. Man that was fun! Thought of doing it again later in the day, but thought better of it. I’m further away from home as I have ever been, Closest Brother is 1000 mi away. Last thing I want to do is wipe out!
Drolled along at 60mph for the next 6hrs through trees. There are soo many trees down here!! And the smells, they went from the smell of Weleteka OK to the rotted pulp smells of Tacoma WA. The smells of the trees..mmm amazing! I could really live down here if it were not for all the people…
It started to get dark, and for the past few nights I have been trying to make miles by riding into the night. Well I do not really see the need to eat bugs, dodge armadillos, coons (NOT racial cody!), and turtles, had to have whipped around a dozen possum, so I decided to find the nearest motel... If its not squished, it will be soon. I thought of bringin back a possum tail for the wife, but I am worried about getting fleas, ticks, and chiggers, n such, cutting a tail off a dead ½ squished possum. Besides my wife hates when I bring her dead parts. She wouldn’t drive my truck when I had 36 prairie dog tails dryin on a string, strung across the inside of the windshield(but that’s another story) I tapped on Bossy my female GPS and found a motel. WRONG MOTEL!!! Bad neighborhood! I had decided I didn’t need to make it to Lafayette, thought Opelousas was a funny name so I should stay there, sence im a funny guy. The 1st motel I stopped at was right next to a gas station that had a dozon locals drinkin in the parking lot, and around the corner next to the motel was an apt. building with 30 people in the parking lot. My bike would have been gone, I would have got in a gun fight goin to get beer, and the room could NOT have had internet access. ok im a slave to tec. A yuppie middle class scaredey cat. Im as tough as any fella but I know when I might be out gunned. (think I might move my pistol from under the pas. Seat to the tank bag in the morning.)
Ha I just checked out my shower head, it’s a good one. I have taken the crummiest showers with tiny little mist sense I left home. The one at the canyon was for a kid, the adult one threw cold water, atleast my butt got clean..lol.
I prayed for no rain and I got lightly misted on this morning, but never really rained on, thank you God! This afternoon was nice and sunny, might have even tanned my snoz. I have been dopeing parts before I leave every day just in case.
Well I had a good shower, wiped the bugs off the bike, and helmet. Left some nasty rags for the maid. Think its time to fill out my roadlog, drink another, eat some chex mix and crash out for the night. Going to go to bourbon st. for lunch and push hard tward Flordia. Have lots more pics tomarrow the phone is charged.
Oh I need a new set of tires by the time I hit florda. Can any of yall find me some tires, maybe a good sale? Love ya forever. Will need to do an oil change too, but I can do that myself if I have a place.
And Blanca, your are on my must meet list. What are you doing Sunday(Monday, Tuesday?) im going to head to the keys next Sunday.
Think I might try to camp tomarrow before the oil rouins the coast.

ncom florida 3 005.jpg

ncom florida 3 008.jpg

ncom florida 3 010.jpg

ncom florida 3 012.jpg

ncom florida 3 013.jpg

very enjoyable read with good pics , thanks for sharing ,

ride safe & enjoy the rest of your trip :beerchug:

If your passing by Tampa Hit me up if you need a Hotel room cheap :laugh: and I have a safe place for your bike next to mine inside.Call 813-886-7799 ext 0 and ask for ZAE if im not there leave your number for me 2 call you back and tell the clerk its important that I contact you .

Last edited:
Interesting travelogue! Sorry about the livestock humping your bike up :p Doesn't look too bad...

That Abita is good stuff... :beerchug:

Very nice pics and great thread! Good to see someone getting out and just enjoying the RIDE... :thumbsup:

If you need a place to crash on your way back through Houston, TX......let me know! ;)

I've got most everything you need if you need to wrench on it... :beerchug:

I'm here....
Not much doing but with two kids its difficult to plan anything.
I'll pm you my cell phone number.

If you want a nice place to look over your bike while here I can recommend Blais in Miami.
Give it a quick lookover or stop here. I got a can of Orange Pledge we can use to clean her up..:laugh:

Let me know I will try to get a permission slip from the dragon to meet up with you somewheres.

I am about 3-4 hours from Key West.
My inlaws usually go to Miami for the weekend and they live in apt on side of house.
Need a spot to stay overnight before you push on to the keys please let me know.
Not a good idea to try to make it there at night.
Too many drunks on the skinny little US1 coming back with BIG boats.

Stay safe and seems like you will be riding behind rain front in good weather.
Drink lots of water. I know you know but at 87 degress feelin like 95 w/high 70-80%s humidity if your not used to it you can literally fall off the bike.

Well my connection is crummy so im typing this up in “word”.
Answers to some brothers.
Yes I ate at the Big Texan. Filet so tender the serrated blade tore the meat and I had to bust out the pocket knife, ribs for an appetizer. Great place to eat for a tourist like me.
Sorry bro, I blew through Mobile just after dark, “long way to go and a short time to get there, we gonna do what they say can’t be done..” appreciate the offer though. That tunnel is neat!
I thought yall would dig this thread, that’s why I posted it :D I dig it, its almost like not traveling alone! And hay, if I need anything,(and I do, tires and oil SOON!) I can always reach to yall for help. My brothers and sisters of the buss.
Ok story time.
I didn’t get a wake up call again. If you hide your bike in the room, the maid wakes you up!..lol so I got on the road about 11:15. Resisted the urge to start the day with a big long wheelie. Was smart and drank a huge tankard of water and took more Tylenol before I crashed out. No hangover for me today! Hate it when I get a hangover from 4 beers and a shot..that reminds me..wheres my beam? Brb.
Ha, found it, it was hidin in the rain gear. Went out and finished off my can of chain lube while I was up. Good to let it soak overnight. Royal purple maxfilm. Seems do do ok. Chain aint broke yet(knock on wood), heck it hasen’t even stretched enough to need tightened.
I think I took 167 to Lafayette then caught I-10 for the big easy. Saw my 1st gator dead on the side of the road 68mi from New Orleans, bout 2 ½ ft long. If I wasn’t whippin down the road at 80mph I might have been able to stop and rip it’s teeth out. I really want some gator teeth. Im gonna find me a dead gator and get me some.
Bossy my GPS led me around the airport then back onto I-10 to find the French $00.25, pushy ***** she is. New Orleans is AWSOME for a tourist like me. I found the oldest bar in the united states! Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop. Open 1700 somethin. And I thought the college inn in Douglas Wyoming was old. I could spend a week there playin tourist, but I didn’t want to let my bike out of my sight so I chose places to stop that I could keep an eye on her. It’s a long walk home. Met a friendly fella from Jersey down for a music fest, lookin for a paper to reroll his joint.lol funny computer dork about 60yrs old. People are funny.i saw an old fella with a pencil mustache and skinny cane/totally my image of an old fella from New Orleans, didn’t get a good pic but CLASSIC! I was hungry, heck I just did 150mi, time for lunch. So I checked out Landry’s (I could see my bike from my table). Ordered a seafood platter. Guess what? Turns out I don’t like seafood  . I tried everything, even asked the waitress how to eat some things. I just couldn’t do it, soft shell crab, eat the shell? Blaa. The fish was mushy, the oysters were not cooked, just the breading full of slimy muscle, and crabcake in the shell. I love snow crab, king crab, blue crab, but this was nasty, ive never tasted anything like it. How does Andrew Zimmer do it? The shrimp were ok. Maybe I need to stick to Boiled, and away from fried. I do like oisters, but this was slimy yuck. Don’t let me steer you away from the place! Great looking food, just not my thing. But hay, ya gotta try everything once!
While I was getting off the bike I got busted by the party police. At 1st I thought I parked in the wrong place, then I realized it was a shtick. He was razing money, but I stopped his game. When he joked he was gonna have to pat me down for withholding smiles, I told him I would shoot him in the face if he touched me, im from Wyoming! I do NOT play that game! You could be a pickpocket! Pretty much ended his joking around with me, and I walked across the street to eat.
Freaky freaky freaky, I went to the head in Landry’s, and a painting of Pam Rodgers is staring at me! She just died last Wednesday! I love her soo much. I only cried a few times today. (its easy to cry and scream in your helmet, no one notices.
I didn’t get to spend much time in New Orleans. Pretty much just drove around the French quarter, stopped for a cool libation, ate, and zipped on back over to I-10 into rush hour traffic. 80mph to 3mph every 100yds.
Got into a groove, listening to music on painful ear buds, I made some miles. Mississippi, Alabama (had some “sweet home” playin as I crossed the border, then before I knew it I was in Florida. No place to stop and take a pic at the border, it was dark, anyway.
The flora/fauna is amazing down here. It smells like the high mountains of Wyoming/crossed with the ocean and water. Gosh there’s water everywhere down here! They build the road way high in some places above the trees. High enough to make me nervous
Hang on a sec. my eyeballs are floatin.
I blew through the tunnel in Mobile, across bridges/raised highway probably really pretty in the daylight. As it started to rain/mist a little I started to swerve funny as I was passing cars. Getting tired. Time to stop.
Neet neet neet..indians, I just finished off the beam. 2 days for ½ pint. Not bad for my alcoholic liver.
I stopped in Pensacola FL. At a Quality inn. OMG this place sucks! Room has roaches, its dirty, scuffs on the walls, brown towels, toilet paper used as a spacer for a wall plate, and the power went out as soon as I got here. But for the 1st few hrs I had power in the bathroom area. Went to the office looking for an extension cord to plug the tv in across the room. The desk clerk didn’t have one and the maintenance man busted me trying to steal the 200ftr from the pop machine. Tv bolted to the dresser, soo I pulled the dresser over by the sink. I gotta have something, and with no internet, tv will suffice. Then everything went out for about an hour while they fixed the line.
Some folks pulled in on an electraglide around midnight, while the power was out. Said they came from TN. Got stuck in the rain for 4 days. Felt for them. 500 miles, and to finish at 12am, had to have got a start like I did today.late.lol
Well im about done for today. Got a long haul to Orlando tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Happy dreams Yall.

ncom florida monday 007.jpg

ncom florida monday 011.jpg

ncom florida monday 016.jpg

ncom florida monday 024.jpg

ncom florida monday 025.jpg

ncom florida monday 027.jpg

ncom florida monday 031.jpg

ncom florida monday 041.jpg

ncom florida monday 050.jpg

ncom florida monday 051.jpg

ncom florida monday 004.jpg

Well I only made 120 miles yesterday. I was soo tired. Only got 4hrs sleep. I had called for a late checkout, and the maid knocked at 9:30, then the metnance guy at 10:15. I called the4 office to complain to the manager and told him about the roaches, lots of roaches, the no internet, the no power, the dirty nasty room, the babys pacifier in my bed, the banging on my door after 4hrs sleep, told him im putting on my pants and headed his way, well that little bastard ran away, gal at the desk said he hung up the phone and ran out got in his car and left!! She couldn’t give me a refund, couldn’t do anything but get yelled at by me.
Tried not to let it rouin my day, but it tried. Got down to Panama City FL. And I was having audio hallucinations, I could hear music commminig from the trees, way tired, had to stop! Got a nice room on the beach. Played in the ocean, layed on the sand, got drunk with some old people. Had a good restful night. When I went to leave I couldn’t find my bike key!!! I was freakin out! Cut into my duffle(as it was padlocked, wasn’t in there, finally found it tucked in the lining of my helmet.why did I stick it there? Atleast I found it!
Made good miles today, 395.8mi to be exact. Rode down the gulf coast. Got a flat rear tire in Apalachicola Fl. Took me bout 30 min to get it sorted out. My can of fix-a-flat would not screw on the the valvestem, had to go and buy one with a hose connected to the can to get it to work. Im soo glad I packed a plug kit. It poped around 4pm, no chance in hell to get to an open bike shop. Before they all closed so I rode into Orlando on a plugged tire. I tell ya what, it dosen’t leave a good feeling in the pit of your stomach flyin down the interstate with a plugged rear tire!! But we made it. And whats up with no gas station having air? Don’t people in Florida put air in their tires? After 5 stations I finally found air.
Boy if I ever moved to FL. There are plenty of houses for sale. Seemed like every house on the coast is for sale. Doesn’t any one live in those things?
Its hard to make miles here. There is a town every 4 miles and they slow you down to 30mph. hard to make time. Cought the interstate and put the hammer down. Held it on 90mph, just keepin up with traffic.
Today was awesome! Another great day in the adventure of life.
I need to write a legislative report so I better go for now.
Russ on the Buss.

ncom almost to orlando 019.jpg

ncom almost to orlando 033.jpg

ncom almost to orlando 052.jpg

ncom almost to orlando 055.jpg

ncom almost to orlando 064.jpg

ncom almost to orlando 066.jpg

ncom almost to orlando 067.jpg

ncom almost to orlando 068.jpg

Last edited:
Back