Shoei x11 virgin ride & review w/ pix

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
well folks?...i finally got to take my Shoei X11 for it's virgin test ride...and i even removed my puig touring windscreen and slapped the stock windscreen back on to get some real wind go'in...

shoei6.jpg

annnnd?.......here's the list of things i noticed on a short jaunt 'round backroads town and up the interstate a ways...and the firts thing I noticed was the great periphial view the X11 offers as it seeems the visor wraps around the sides pretty well and as a result?..."head checks"...required a minimum of actual neck movement..and I liked that.
biggrin.gif

I also liked the 2nd thing i noticed..."VENTILATION"......gobs of it...so much so that even at reduced speeds of under 40mph?..i could feel the breeze flowing clean through the helmet...hit 60mph+?...and i could actually feel the breeze moving the hair on top of my head...under the helmet....very cool.
biggrin.gif

Aero's: the damn thing is awesome...purposefully sitt'in bolt upright?...stickin my mellon up into the full wind?...and i didn't feel any wind pressure even begin to assert any force whatsoever till upwards of 80mph or so. Also?...full wind head checks at 120mph snatched a little wind but nothing neck-snapping..no problem....but the real cool part?...was this...as i tucked on down?...i coulkd actually feel the helmet "Rolling The Winds Pressure Point" and just as it crested?...(rolling over the top).....as soon as the helmet just began to exhibit the slightest sign of "Lift"?...the rear spoiler thingy strated pressing it right back down on my head again...also...."Buffeting"?.....was "Non-Existant"....even when quartering a TT at 80mph.
biggrin.gif

"Noise Levels": I was real apprehensive (if not a tad anxiouse) reviewing the noise levels of this helmet as i've heard so much about it "Both Ways".....some say it's remarkably quiet (taking into consideration how much ventilation and air it flows) while others?...claim it to be on the noisey side....me?..I found it to be "Both"
laugh.gif
"Quiet"....annnd...."Noisey"....as follows....at lower speeds?...I could hear much more of my busa's workings...engine, brakes, chain...but as the speeds rose?...it seemed like it actually got quieter...and i think this is because the helmet is so well designed aero wise that while it is loud at nominal 'round town speeds?...it's windslick ways make it "seem loud"....as there is no "Wind Roar"....and now?...because there is no wind roar?...you hear the bike more...but it's anything but....loud...and imho?...is very quiet for a helmet of this particular breed.

Now...I didn't have the opportunity to do any real high speed stuff...so i'll reserve cooment on high speed aeros but so far?...low-mid speed aero's are great and i love this lid...best i've ever owned...so far.
biggrin.gif

and for my old '03 Slvr/Graphite busa?...i'm calling the chris vermeulen TC-5 graphix......

shoei5.jpg

a...

shoei4.jpg

"MATCH"
biggrin.gif

and....L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Bill, is this an upgrade from an RF-1000? If so, how about a direct comparison- you do great no B.S. or flowers reviews and I bought the 1000 based on looks and price but wonder if the X-11 is worth the diifference in price.

Nice review, Bill. Like I said before, I was on the fence in forking out the cash, but tomorrow I'm buying!
biggrin.gif

Bill, is this an upgrade from an RF-1000? If so, how about a direct comparison- you do great no B.S. or flowers reviews and I bought the 1000 based on looks and price but wonder if the X-11 is worth the diifference in price.
unfortunately...no...my X11 is not an upgrade from a RF1000...it's an upgrade from a Scorpion700...which replaced my Arai QuantumII...whereby the arai was an upgrade from my old shoei RF900's...which btw sucked..as the RF900's had lotsa whistling action going on (if the visor system wasn't adjusted "just so") and the aero's were terrible...felt like i was wearing a dinner plate taped to my face...However...I'm certain there must be other X11 members here who also own (or have owned) an RF1000 but i haven't...but i can tell you this...everything i've ever heard about the RF1000 has been good stuff...the RF1000 is also more "Street" oriented than is the X11 and the RF1000 is also quieter and about $100 less expensive than the X11 as the X11 is shoei's top line "race spec" helmet...also..if you're considering the RF1000?..you may wanna take a good hard look at shoei's "TZ-R"....which can be had for about $50-$100 less than even the RF1000 and is a fine helmet with plenty of cool features for the price of addmission.

Here's some links (to a site i've grown to trust) that may help you out...

TZR $275(solid)-$350(graphix):

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/tz-r/

RF1000 $350(solid)-$425(graphix):

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/rf-1000/

X-Eleven $400(solid)-$500(graphix):

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/x-eleven/

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154922294 -->

I have the exact x11 and love it. agree with all of Jinksters review. I also have the rf-1000 matching helmet for my bike, but like x11 better.

I know it is comparing budget helmet to top of the line, but I was curious how you rate the Scorpion helmet to the X-11.

I know it is comparing budget helmet to top of the line, but I was curious how you rate the Scorpion helmet to the X-11.
hmmmm...at first?..price wise?....i'd be inclined to call "apples/oranges"....and it still truely is as there is no comparison....but still?...the scorpion is one hella deal as far as bang fer buck goes....but...a tad heavy on the head...a little loud (considering)...but does flow a surprising amount of air and the shield system is das bomb...until you get up into the mid-high triple digits..anf tha's where the scorpions achilles heal steps into the spot-light by way of...

real sucky high speed aero's...but to flat out compare it to the X11?...would be silly...although the scorpion is a great deal at it's price point..lick 'n stick graphix and all.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I just know it was helmet you were coming from so was interested in comparison between the two. I have an OGK right now was thinking of getting a OXO but afraid of the weight. Not sure wether to keep the OGK( which i actually like) since it is light or save for a X-11 or Spec1r.

Back