Casper to the Keys and back. travel log w/pics

i went to the Kenedy space center today. that place was really cool. my son would love it! i did. i got to ride a launch simulator/layback vibrator. didn't stick around for the imax though. i would have been there til 6pm. dinked along a1a for a while til i got past 110mi on the odometer for today.
stopped in Vero Beach FL. really rich part of the world. nice place to visit. decided to stay after the grill spoke my language..Libations..thought i was the only one that called booze that.:laugh:
this is the furthest i have ever rode east. pretty cool i think:thumbsup:
well theres probably more to the story but im tired and its late. I AM going to make it off the main land tomarrow, so ....:beerchug:
happy dreams yall..
and sorry i didn't call ya Blanca...go go go ya know..i swear i'll try harder tomorrow.

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 042.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 043.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 044.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 045.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 056.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 053.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 052.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 048.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 051.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 054.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 055.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 057.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 059.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 063.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 065.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 067.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 068.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 069.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 073.jpg

ncom florida trip day 1 after orlando 074.jpg

Congrats! You made it to the Atlantic Ocean! :beerchug:

Great ride report. Keep it up.

I believe that would be the Gulf of Mexico in Panama City.

You coming down 75 and crossing the alley? If ya do stop in @ Naples, Fl.
I'll show you some PF Chang's hospitality!

Your on a roll Casper . And I'm enjoying following you . Here's a suggestion for you . On your way out of the Keys You can take the Tamiami trail ( 41 ) west toward Napels , through the Everglaades .
Maybe hop a ride on an air boat and see the real Florida . You can even wrestle a gator if your brave enough , or you can just watch someone else do it . On the west side of the trail stop at Jonies Blue Crab Cafe for some Frog legs the southern way

Floridian: A bite of Big Cypress
Then you can check out Everglades City just up the road from there . Eventually ariving in Napels . From there take I75 North and you can stop off in Sarasota and check out St Armandn's circle and see the rich people of the west coast of the state Eventually takeing the states famous Skyway bridge north into Pinellas county. Now if you plan this right and get here on Wednesday I'll take you to the states largest Bike Night at
Clearwater Quaker Steak and Lube There you see over 2000 bikes on a average Wed night and 50 % are custom
Crotch rockets. That should at least complete your tour of the Sunshine state . And , If you still need a tire I can help you out with that and my No Mar also! Ride safe and enjoy !

DSCF1365.jpg

This thread is awesome:thumbsup: One day I hope to make a cross country trip. Be safe, and, the more pics the merrier:beerchug:

ahhhhhhhh kennedy space center...was rideing my kz750 there in college with girl...freind...(she loved rideing and i was always willing to oblige) on one of the back roads on the cape and found a pot hole that slammed me so bad i stopped and just held the bike upright for like 20 mins not moving... come to find out later on it compressed my L4 and L5 together...but only once in a while do i have to watch i can pull my lower back by sneezing lol

Well I made it to the “keys” been conched out for a few days.
But let me start from where I left off.
I rode down and stayed the night at Vero Beach. A very wealthy community. They don’t even sell gas because its too cheep for them..lol spent the night in a holiday inn. Couldn’t roll the bike into the room but I did have a security guard watching it all night. I felt safe there.
Next day I tried to ride down A1A, but I only got 20mi in an hour of riding. So I took a right and found the green road on the map. Made good time on it.
I really wanted to meet “Blanca” so I gave him a call in west palm, and he directed me to his place.
I cannot say enough nice things about this guy!! He welcomed me into his home like I was family! His wife cooked me a good meal. 1st home cooking I’ve had in weeks. He found me a set of tires (not a bad deal) and led me to the shop. Its been a couple days so I’ve forgotten the name, but they treated me real good. $15 to mount and balance! Got an oil change while I was at it too. While the bike was in the shop he took me back to his place where his wonderful wife kept trying to feed me, bless her heart. After a while he called to check on my bike, it was ready, so we zipped over to get it. They even hooked me up with a new plastic plug/rivet for the fairing for free. Did my best not to impulse buy anything, did get a new keychain, but that was it. New tires feel soo good. And again I swear I’ve got more power down here. I have to be careful not to nail it. It wheelies real easy down here. We spent the evening getting to know each other better. After a good Cuban meal, he rented Avatar for us to watch. Cool flick! It is kinda “dances with smurfs” but truly amazing graphics. We talked into the wee hours of the morning while working on my bike. He detailed her for me. She needed it bad, dirty girl. I couldn’t smoke in his home, that was fine with me because he has a nice yard with a pond or channel running behind it. Turtles were basking on a log, frogs croakin, pretty. He folded out the living room couch and I got a good rest. Ready for the day I rode out in the morning. Might be the earliest I’ve got going since the day I left home.
Thank you again my Brother! You made my trip that much more enjoyable! :thumbsup:
I have to get me a fake cat like yours, that thing freaked me out it liked so real!

westpalm to the keys 001.jpg

westpalm to the keys 002.jpg

westpalm to the keys 004.jpg

westpalm to the keys 007.jpg

westpalm to the keys 009.jpg

westpalm to the keys 011.jpg

westpalm to the keys 014.jpg

westpalm to the keys 019.jpg

westpalm to the keys 020.jpg

westpalm to the keys 026.jpg

westpalm to the keys 027.jpg

Last edited:
A lazy day of riding got me to Key West with plenty of sunlight to spare. I would roll along, see something cool, and stop and take a pic. Ate at City Hall, a cute little café. The crystal blue water is beautiful. I was kind of surprised about the bridges. TV makes you think its 100mi long. Like you’re on a bridge all the way to Key West, But it’s not that way. A lot of riding across islands. Still really cool!

I made it to the southernmost marker!!!!! That had been my goal every since I left home. Got some other bikers from Georgia to take my pic. Isn’t she shiny! (Thanks to Blanca and pledge.:thumbsup:.) he even gave me a sticker to cover Bessie’s boo boo. I Got a good shot of me and the ABATE flag for the newsletter back home.
The motel I’m staying at, the “Almond” is nice. Even serve free all you can drink at happy hour 5-7. So I sipped a couple cold ones and planed my attack on Duval St.

westpalm to the keys 031.jpg

westpalm to the keys 032.jpg

westpalm to the keys 034.jpg

westpalm to the keys 035.jpg

westpalm to the keys 043.jpg

westpalm to the keys 044.jpg

westpalm to the keys 045.jpg

westpalm to the keys 048.jpg

westpalm to the keys 049.jpg

Last edited:
:thumbsup: had a really good time today "playin tourist" as my dad would say. i rode the conch train all around town, thanks to free tickets from my mom. went to the shipwreck history museum and climbed the tower. i totally forgot i was afraid of heights til i started up the stairs. didn't let it stop me, but i did get my finger in every shot i took up there. holding on to the flagpole in the middle of the platform the entire time:butbut:
last night i met a local pirate, locals seem pretty groovy. they even gave me a PBR tallboy. felt sorry for a kid passed out drunk on the street. had to give a police report after i witnesed local hero break another fellas phone. this guy was trying to take "upskirt" pics and the fella walkin with these gals slapped the phone out of his hand and stomped it! I'd a kicked his butt if he was in Wyoming! i have no respect for perverts like that!:punch: so i played good citizen and stuck around to give a police report as it didn't take but a few moments for them to arrive on the scene.
boy i tell ya, a open container law would kill this place. drunks on the street everywhere. everyone has a drink in their hand, even the bums. had a fella try to bum $1 off me while he had a $7 drink in his hand :rofl:
tried my 1st conch fritter, good stuff. after New Orleans i have been leery of sea food.

well if im going to make it out of here in the morning i better post some pics and go to bed. im trying to pick some good ones to post as i took over 100 photos today.

well i got some goodones, will try to post more later as its almost 4am.
happy dreams yall.

key west 020.jpg

key west 015.jpg

key west 027.jpg

key west 029.jpg

key west 030.jpg

key west 032.jpg

key west 035.jpg

key west 038.jpg

key west 042.jpg

key west 044.jpg

key west 046.jpg

key west 048.jpg

key west 051.jpg

key west 053.jpg

key west 056.jpg

key west 065.jpg

key west 071.jpg

key west 077.jpg

key west 094.jpg

Had a drunk try to bum a buck with a 7 dollar drink in his hand...:rofl:
Well heck pardner how do you think hes gonna buy the next one...???

I cant believe you saw Spiderman and Elvis in the same day.
See I have always told folks Elvis was alive and retired in the keys...since you took pic I have proof..:laugh:

Mile Zero US1...you made it..:beerchug:

Russ your welcome and your welcome anytime .
Stay in touch..

Really enjoying the updates there Russ! :beerchug:
Did you ever get in that night on the beach in the hammock? So, what's your Florida evacuation plan/route?
Safe travels where ever the winds may take you.

had a question about what i packed, thought i'd share my answer with the rest of the class.
my answer was this.

i have done a lot of traveling on a motorcycle and have reduced my luggage to one army duffel. most of it is stuff i haven't used all trip. bed roll, 2 hammocks, 4 pair of pants, 6 pair of socks, 6 t-shirts, 2 hooded sweatshirts, towel, swim suit, 6 underwear, laptop cpu, folding saw, pocket knife, pistol & 200rds ammo, canteen, tire plug kit, fix a flat W/HOSE ATTACHED cant stress the hose attachment on the can enough as the screw on to the top of the can will not fit inside the rim making it worthless. found out that the hard way 2500mi from home. and plenty of credit cards. oh, and rain gear. haven't used the bed roll or hammocks but its better to take too much than not enough. my tank bag seems to collect alot of junk as i travel, best $35 my wife ever spent. i did run a gps til my plug conched out a week ago, but a map works just as well. used the mp3 in the gps more than anything. and chain lube, gotta lube it or it will stretch quickly. that's about it. a person doesn't need much, i spend more time worrying about that junk than i do using it, but its good to be prepared.

never did get to camp on the beach. turns out, im scared. i've seen Easy Rider too many times and don't want to get killed in my sleep. im alone, and uneasy without doors and locks in a strange land. if i had a friend with me it might be different. still on the "bucket list" though.

Are you still 'Conched' or what ?
What is your location there Papa Bear ?

Going fishing in the morning as the Kings are running ?
Hook you up with a biggun !

Back