airbox mods.......

Shenoyp, I sure did with the full Hindle system, first thing is the sound, then be ready when you hit it, make sure the rear tire is warm! I made the mistake on a cold night on a cold tire, I was a fish going down the street. Thought I was going to need a new bike. I have yet to dyno it, will do that this spring, I think it worth about 15 to 20 hp overall and a couple ft lbs of torque. Warbaby has some great info on this.

Hi guys!
Here in Finland too we have Hayabusas....unfortunately our riding season is little bit shorter than everywhere else.Still we will ride busas here and enjoy.

I made airbox-mod Fastsjonny's way and I like it.My busa has Acrapovic Full Race with carbon+BMC.I also put TRE in it.PC3 is on the way to my bike too.Colour of the bike is mystery to me,because it's House of Colour/blue/purple Candy.It's not ready yet so I haven't got any photos....maybe later when it's done.

We have our own sites in Finland for Busa owners.
www.busanistit.org there you find F.H.O.C-members in Finland.
(Finnish Hayabusa Owners Club)

I hope there will be nice riding season for all of us!!
Best wishes from Finland  F.H.O.C  President Agostini  
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Agostini
Reason for Edit: None given...|1108274961 -->

From my understanding, the air box mod takes away torque to give you hp. No way man. I want torque, not hp.

I do not think allowing your engine to breath better creats any loss of torque, more air, to the engine allows the engine to produce more hp and torque, loss of torque would result from changing gears or something else down stream of the air intake.

It's all about air velocity---Doing the small air box mod--reduces air velocity--at lower RPM's-- equals abit less torque----But at high RPM--the small airbox mod--increases velocity.
That flapper valve was not put on the bike on a whim---The first time i rode mine--i could not believe the torque it had...3k 4k 5k--killer--later i did the small airbox mod---still hauled the mail---
Now with a full 4 into one Header---around 5800 revs---she rips.

To shenoyp--Slip on's will not make any more power than stock---sorry---the restriction is in the stock header system --not so much the mufflers. With just slip on's the stock "map is just fine" no need for a PCIII. Air filter is up to you--Mine has K&N-- was in it when i bought it.--It's OK. or stock or BMC.....Don't do the small airbox mod unless you go to a full 4 into one or two.--then add PCIII

Don't do an air box mod unless you have an after market FULL exhaust system and a PC. The flapper valve is in there to help mainly with noise and it helps low speed torque too.
wink.gif

It is important to tweak your mixture if you do a box mod. With the extra air the mixture leans out a bit and you will lose power. Same is true for a new exhaust system because they breath better too. Busas are already lean at low RPM for emissions. I bumped up the idle and off-idle settings on my ECU and made more power and better gas mileage by 4 mpg. Idle is more smooth too. The way to do it is to map a PC2 or use a Teka ECU programmer.

Putting on a new exhaust and/or filter is only going half way. The bike needs tuning after that to get the benefits.

I just got off the dyno after doing the full airbox mod (as grabntwist shows in the pictures above). I took the actuator off and removed all the piping just to clean things up. I've got the HMF high-mount full system with a K&N and a TRE. The pair valve has been removed and the block-off plates installed. Here's the dyno results:
HP was down about 1 1/2 below 4K. There was a slight dip at 7K of maybe 2 hp. From 8 all the way to 11K the HP climbed. Normally, the HP peaked at 10.5K. Now it climbed all the way to redline. I gained 7 HP. That's 7 free HP. The small dip at 7K isn't noticeable, and the one below 4K doesn't matter to me at all. I try to keep it above 4K unless I'm in a residential area. I would highly recommend the full airbox mod. My next step is to put the fans on the scoops and see what I gained from sealing the ram air tubes at the airbox and installing the scoops. I'll keep you all posted. There's racing fuel on the agenda as well.

I forgot to mention in my previous post: I had a TEKA tune done a year ago. At the time, I wanted smoother response around 4K, so they set it pretty rich. My mileage has suffered somewhat, and there is probably HP to be found by leaning it out a little bit. The TEKA was done to make sure I was not lean due to the full system and the K&N. I'm going to lean it out a little bit on the low end and see what it does to my mileage, my throttle response, and maybe my low end HP. Any small gains in the low end HP isn't really a factor in my opinion.

Hey, everybody! My first post. I am thinking about doing the full air box mod, but I would like to know if its going to hurt in town rideability. I have access to a dyno but dont want to cut up my air box if it is going to hurt my low end.

<!--EDIT|Speedfreak391
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111707044 -->

if you don't want to cut up your stock airbox I have one with brocks mod and stock filter in good shape.

$45 shipped.

I have the small box mod, but I wonder if I could benefit from the full mod with the larger displacement I have?

Both factory and aftermarket air filters work fine with the air box mod. Did you do a PAIR removal mod?
ok, guys... ive been a busa owner for a while now... and mostly have gone show, save for a set of yoshi slip ons... i see and hear every1 doing the pair removal mod...of course im gonna get hounded for this im sure... but what is that? what does it do? how do u do it? etc thanks.
Brian~

I have read this thread and am undecited on which way to go. I have a full yosh exhaust and k&n filter with a power commander, but what will I gain with th eair box mod?

Busabullet, I am installing a full Yosh system with PC3 now and taking out the Pair. IMO its not worth doing for a few HP.

2-3HP will not be felt, a loss of torque down low will be. Get a 16 tooth sprocket if you want a boost.

i just picked up a 2000 busa a couple of weeks ago. i bought from a guy who only had it a month-bought it without wife knowing about it. it has a full yosh rs3 ti exhuast,alot of chrome, slammed to the ground, and was told the air box was modified but didnt know exactly how. i opened up the box and found the filter cut out and looks like the lower half was cut. is this over modified or should i look for a new box??? thanks for the help

Both factory and aftermarket air filters work fine with the air box mod. Did you do a PAIR removal mod?
ok, guys... ive been a busa owner for a while now... and mostly have gone show, save for a set of yoshi slip ons... i see and hear every1 doing the pair removal mod...of course im gonna get hounded for this im sure... but what is that? what does it do? how do u do it? etc thanks.
Brian~
Try this link, should explain things to ya. Also Look up reaper at SH.org for his block off kit, got mine for $20.00 and works great.

Back