airbox mods.......

jamesnismo

Registered
ok guys i need your help. just installed full akra evo exhaust and pc3r. now i want to do the airbox mod. i believe there are two different mods for it right? the "small airbox mod" and the normal, or whatever you want to call it. which to do? and anybody have a good how to with pics? the last thing i want to do is have to replace an airbox cause i got too dremel-happy.  
biggrin.gif
 thank james

<!--EDIT|jamesnismo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092317270 -->

I got the BDE full sytem on my bike and it came with instructions for an airbox mod that was real easy to do, only problem for you is you cant just do a mod without having a map thats going to compensate for it, if your gonna do it just make sure you get a custom map, or see if the akro comes with a map 4 the pipe with airbox mod. Next, What I did was remove gas tank, take out the air filter, then airbox, You will see a flapper with a triangular shape around it with one small hole on the inside, drill holes next to each other all around the inside of the tiangle the same size as the existing hole, then take a saw or something and cut out that piece. Better yet go to Brocks site and look up instrutions on how to do this he has good picts there. ( boy that was a waste of typing)!!

Both factory and aftermarket air filters work fine with the air box mod. Did you do a PAIR removal mod?

Im runnin' my stock filter I think it flows better than an oil soaked K&N. My question was do you or have you ever heard of cutting the element away and goin' with no filter at all. When I had my top end done It was strongly suggested that I go with no filter at all and this was common for developed N/A Busas'. I also called Lee's performance and they said the same. I was just wondering what you had set-up. Also about the acuator that normally would control the flapper how did you disable that. Mine makes noise on a cold motor right around 3,500 to 4,000 rpms.

I know what you're sayin', trust me. It just seems that alot of people are runnin' with no filters. I wouldn't worry about the bugs as much as the pebbles and sand.

Sorry I overlooked your main points.

Im runnin' my stock filter I think it flows better than an oil soaked K&N.[/QUOTE] Me too...for similar reasons.

My question was do you or have you ever heard of cutting the element away and goin' with no filter at all.[/QUOTE] Yes, but I prefer Brock's solution for less flow disturbance.

Also about the acuator that normally would control the flapper how did you disable that. Mine makes noise on a cold motor right around 3,500 to 4,000 rpms.[/QUOTE]Interesting! It sounds like you reconnected the actuator diaphragm hose. You might try plugging it off.

Also, if your Busa is a track-only bike, I understand not using a filter for THAT purpose, but... as you may know, extended street use without a filter WILL result in premature engine wear of cylinders, pistons, rings, and probably valve seats.
wink.gif

In all honesty who can tell the difference in 2-4 HP? I don't want to loose any low end torque just for 2-4 HP. If it made 10 HP difference then it would be worth it but honestly is it worth the loss of the low end torque? Torque is acceleration, HP doesn't do you that much good at low speeds only top end. I personally would rather have the low end, it has enough top end as it is. Just my .02.

That Fast Sjonny's website has alot of info on the Busa!
smile.gif

Click Warbaby's airbox mod link.

The vacuum actuator can be removed from the bottom of the airbox and discarded. Use the plastic flapper and make a cap to cover the hole where the actuator used to be and epoxy or plastic weld it airtight. Then plug the hose. The stock filter is a good idea to use.

... please throw some light on this for me. What is the "Airbox mod"... and why would one want to modify their Airbox
rock.gif

Sorry about the stupid question!

Its all about getting more air to the engine, more efficiently. You don't need to do it unless you've done other mods ie.. exhast ect... . You can do it to a stock motor but I don't know if your motor would need a re-mapping .

oh...ok frisbee.

manatrader, I have ordered a couple of yoshimura zyclone carbon fiber bolt-on's. Also changing to K&N filter... and adding a PCIII.Would I benefit from the airbox mod
rock.gif

I mean will I have a noticable difference in the performance?!
smile.gif

I have done the small airbox mod and I am not to happy. I have a lot more monoxide being produced and gas mileage is terrible now. Unless your bike is drag only, I wouldn't do it. I am currently looking for another airbox to buy and put on my bike.

I have done the small airbox mod and I am not to happy. I have a lot more monoxide being produced and gas mileage is terrible now. Unless your bike is drag only, I wouldn't do it. I am currently looking for another airbox to buy and put on my bike.

Back