4-year-old killed in pit bull attack

It looked like it showed the fence that was climbed in the video(at least one that had a dog house on other side). Standard 4ft fence. Neighbor stated the dog been loose roaming neighborhood in the past, yet... no mention of dog attacking people. My conclusion on on this is that dog defended his home.

I wont keep a dog that will attack children, or really anyone. If you have a guard dog or working dog it should be inside the house or in a kennel.

Yes the kid should not have been there, and as much blame if not more lies with the family of the child.

But who keeps a dog, unsupervised, on a chain, in a neighborhood, that would kill a child? Theres some fault in the dogs owner as well. The dog killed a child, it needs to be put down.

My dog has the freedom to go out in his yard "my property when ever he needs to use the bathroom" His is very protective of the property, He is doing what is natrual to him and the breed. Sorry but dogs arent smart enough to ID someone before they are doing there job as stopping a stranger from TRESPASSING!!!
Woooof Wooof. Ohh wait he is still 17 I will just sit here. Give Me a Break!

If I have my property posted per the laws of my area and someone enters my property and is injured I'm responsible. That's the world we currently live in.

Please don't tie guns to vicious dogs or dogs period. The two can not be compared. One takes the action of an individual to cause harm the other doesn't. The media has done enough of this, we don't need to buy into the BS. In my mind it's the circumstances and actions not the breed, however I do think that we've been sold on the Pit Bull deal. When I was a child it was German Shepherds, then Dobermans, Rottweilers, now Pit Bulls.

When I was a child I was had by a small 15 pound dog. It was chained always and just seemed like a mean dog to me. My neighbor kept trying to convince me he was a good dog. He cut him loose and he ran straight to me and tore my arse up. Mom hauled me to our family doctor where I was stitched up. The neighbor told my Mom he was sorry and the dog would remain chained and that was that. What a difference 50 years has made in this country.

Regardless of whose responsible, vicious animals ( attacks humans or acts like they would ) are typically put down.

Has nothing to do with this tragedy. I was thinking the sibling had some involvement. If so, that will be something that haunts her the rest of her life. The parents should have never allowed the situation to start with, but I see 5 year olds walking 3 year olds to McDonalds down the US Highway all the time. Don't agree with that but I'm just an old fart. The dog owner. Just having an animal like that within a fenced yard and chained up doesn't relieve you of responsibility in the event the animal hurts, maims, or kills someone.

It's funny watching the dynamics of this thread. We have really become a twisted society.

What a tragedy :please:

If a kid wanders into your yard to find paint cans and starts huffing them and dies should you be held responsible??
If a kid jumps the fence and drowns in your pool should the owner be responsible?
If a kid jumps the fence and breaks his neck on your trampaleen should the owner be responsible?

NO and NO and HELLZ NO! Just as I am allowed as a responsible adult to own a gaurd dog on my property. Different story if my dog jumped the fence and went into a neighbors yard and killed someone yes..

By placing a warning sign up that you have a dangerous dog really puts the owner as well as the dog at risk should the dog ever bite or worse yet injure someone regardless if it's inside your house or in your yard, fenced, chained or no.

Once you have admitted via a warning sign of a dangerous dog you take full responsibility of that animals actions, justified or no. Even a burglar who gets chewed up inside your house can successfully sue you.

If a kid wanders into your yard to find paint cans and starts huffing them and dies should you be held responsible??
If a kid jumps the fence and drowns in your pool should the owner be responsible?
If a kid jumps the fence and breaks his neck on your trampaleen should the owner be responsible?

NO and NO and HELLZ NO! Just as I am allowed as a responsible adult to own a gaurd dog on my property. Different story if my dog jumped the fence and went into a neighbors yard and killed someone yes..

Unfortunately, you are responsible. It's nice to think you aren't but back over here in reality you are :laugh:

By placing a warning sign up that you have a dangerous dog really puts the owner as well as the dog at risk should the dog ever bite or worse yet injure someone regardless if it's inside your house or in your yard, fenced, chained or no.

Once you have admitted via a warning sign of a dangerous dog you take full responsibility of that animals actions, justified or no. Even a burglar who gets chewed up inside your house can successfully sue you.
It's ridiculous, but true.

How about this guys, boy I'm ancient. As a child we had a pet collie, she raised heck at strangers but never took a bite, anyway we would vacation in Florida every 4th of July when all the plants shut down. Yea, back when everyone that wanted one had a job, I digress ........ we left our doors unlocked :laugh:

We have really progressed in the past 50 + years haven't we :rofl:

You are correct!! Signs reading "BEWARE OF DOG" ATTACK DOG are not the signs to post its almost like saying I have a aggressive dog or a dangerous dog..

Th signs I have posted on property read "Gaurd Dog On Duty Do Not Pet"

Unfortunately, you are responsible. It's nice to think you aren't but back over here in reality you are :laugh:

Maybe, Maybe Not. I live in a county with Bubba Politics.
I look at ths way, I am sure more gaurd dogs have turned a possible burgular / theive away then a child with idiot parents kid jumping a fence and being mawled by a dog doing what his natrual instincs are.

I am sure Obama is going to ban dogs bigger then 5 lbs in this country also,, Take away my freedom little by little

...When I was a child I was had by a small 15 pound dog. It was chained always and just seemed like a mean dog to me.

Regardless of whose responsible, vicious animals ( attacks humans or acts like they would ) are typically put down.

What a tragedy :please:

Pretty much any dog that is ALWAYS chained is being treated in a manner that is conducive to agressive behavior. Dogs weren't designed to be chained up their whole life anymore than we are.

And what of the vicious human animals? RARELY will be put one of those down, no matter what they do, even though, as "top dog", humans have the greatest freedom of choice of anything on the planet. Yet an innocent animal that is caught up in unfortunate circumstances created by humans is immediately considered an threat so great that is it summarily executed. :banghead: Once again, leaving the humans to continue their behavior over and over again.

If we were truly interested in changing the game, the "one strike and you're killed" rule would better applied to the human animals. Then we might see a long term behavioral change in the world rather as opposed to pretending the issues are solved by blaming the dead and the innocent.

It's ridiculous, but true.

How about this guys, boy I'm ancient. As a child we had a pet collie, she raised heck at strangers but never took a bite, anyway we would vacation in Florida every 4th of July when all the plants shut down. Yea, back when everyone that wanted one had a job, I digress ........ we left our doors unlocked :laugh:

We have really progressed in the past 50 + years haven't we :rofl:

We never even had locks on our doors growing up as a kid. Summer time we'd go to church on Sunday and visit family in the afternoon leaving our doors and windows open. Never once had a problem. We kept a yard full of hounds to hunt with but never had a vicious dog. You never hear of a flop eared hound killing anything other than a barn cat once in a while.

Just owning a pit bull is taking a huge risk. They are built for one thing "killing". Some insurance companies won't insure a home owner nor renter with a pit bull.

I've acquired too many assets to risk it all via a dog with the ability to rip Hulk Hogan's face off and a reputation of doing so on occasion. The poor bloke that owns the pit that killed the little boy in Texas is being researched by attorneys as we speak to see if he has assets worth going after. I doubt he/she will be criminally charged but if he has a pot worth pissin in, he will be sued civilly. A tragedy indeed which could have been avoided.

Sad day for everyone involved including the dog.

Pitbulls were built to kill? Please elaborate on that statement with something other than a biased opinion. I would like to know how this specific breed of dog has been "built" to kill. Once again please provide some facts to reenforce your opinion. Because I assure you that Pitbulls are not the only breed of dog that has bit/maimed/ and killed people. That's a fact, not opinion. There are dozens of forums with pitbull owners who have never had any issues with their dogs whatsoever. That is also a fact. Here is my opinion which is not a fact per say but I'm sure most would agree. Any breed of dog large or small can demonstrate aggressive behavior. Any breed of dog can demonstrate territorial behavior. I also believe that had there been another large breed of dog say a Rotty or a mastiff that 4 year old boy would have suffered the same fate.

Terrible terrible terrible. Very sad read.

A co-worker emailed me he has a Chow mix that he wants to give away. When the dog is left alone for times it gets restless and when the owner comes back the dog nips at him or anyone else. I did not reply back. Dog is on course for future problems and issues.

Its funny you mention that breed..... I have grew up around dogs my entire life. Been around everything from pitbulls, german shepards, rotties, beagles, to dodsons and I have gotten along with almost every breed. Ive been bit by 4 dogs, 3 of the dogs were Chows and the other was a poodle. 2 brown chows and a black 1, all 3 of them were highly territorial and aggressive without any provocation. The bad part about Chows are they wont openly attack you, they will growl and hair will stand up but they wont attack or at least wouldnt attack me. As soon as I turned my back they bit me on the :moon:!!! I thought it was just me but as time went on I heard more stories from other people with similar if not identical stories.

Kid was curious and died because of it. No matter what any of you say that's not right.
Parents fault for not being there to watch him, yes.
I need more infor to deduce whether dog owner may need to bear any burden. But no matter what if they have a heart in sure they must be pretty devastated. I'd feel pretty twisted if my dog killed a kid. Even if the state let me have it back I don't know if I could look at the dog everyday because I'd never be able to forget what he had done.
Roaming free the dog was not aggressive but chained up in its own yard put it into attack or defense mode. Something drew the kid to the dog and I'd bet that once before when loose the dog and kid had met. Kid wanted to pet him again maybe?
This is probably exactly like the gun issue as I bet pit bulls are responsible for a small percent of the total bites but get 99% of the blame. I can see an assault dog ban coming. Nothing mean looking allowed.
And the reference to swimming in the ocean with sharks I don't equate it to. I an my family regularly swim in the ocean. We all know the risk although small. But it is not the same as this because I take them there to play in the sharks yard. The dogs yard isn't the same as the ocean as nobody took the kid to play there.

Rip Lil buddy

I won't have a dog big enough to take down a child. Just too much risk. My dogs do all I need them to do, bark enough to get a human's attention.

We've been thru this before. Big, muscular-breed dog hurts someone; big dog defenders immediately say the breed is 'harmless'. Others disagree and worry about their children getting caught in the sights of one. My neighbors just bought another rotweiler puppy, very cute and cuddly, but they had to give the last one up because it got too agressive. Asking for trouble. You'd think by now they'd learn. Some might even argue that it's hypocritical to blame owner over dog, but not blame owner for gun - except gun is inanimate object and dog is not and has it's own mind.

Sign or no sign, fence or no fence, those people are going to get their azzes sued off over that dog.

The problem is that accountability and common sense is all but gone in this country. We always want to blame someone or something. This is in no way the dogs fault. It is very tragic, but not the dogs fault. I own 2 dobermans, and one would tear your face off if anyone came up to him in my house without me being there. However he is the biggest baby to anyone that knows him, and I let him off leash at dog parks, without a single incident! I was just at a park this weekend, a DOG park outside of Birmingham Alabama, and I bet there were close to 20 kids INSIDE the dog area for of leash playing. It was all I could do to not go around and literally start screaming at the parents of these kids. Kids do not know how to go up to a strange dog and not be threatening. All it would take is for one thing to happen and it would be tragic. My point is, ACCOUNTABILITY has got to be brought back to this country. We have got to stop passing the buck and blaming everything else. This country is burning, and we need to put out the fire! Anyone that feels this dog should be put down needs to get a reality check!

It looked like it showed the fence that was climbed in the video(at least one that had a dog house on other side). Standard 4ft fence. Neighbor stated the dog been loose roaming neighborhood in the past, yet... no mention of dog attacking people. My conclusion on on this is that dog defended his home.

+1 So true

Dogs aren't the problem - canine teeth are the problem - Ban teeth.

Vicious dogs aside. Strange four year olds and any dogs are potential problem.

Pit bulls are not necessarily any more vicious than other breeds, however, when they "act out" they have among the most deadly instincts and tools with which to perpertrate an attack. With respect to young children it's over in mere seconds.

Sad story for everyone.

I think it sux how sue happy our country is. A kid went into someone else's backyard and paid the ultimate price for it. That is sad. But to sue them or try to thats rediculous! It's not the dogs fault, not the owner of the dogs fault. Really you can't blame anyone but the kid himself. "maybe the parents" but we all know you can't watch your kids playing in the yard 100% of the time. Everyone has been a kid and you can't tell me "unless you were sheltered" your parents watched you like a hawk.

My daughter Loves dogs. She knows better then to go into someone backyard and try to pet their dog. She won't even pet someone's dog on a leash unless she asks first.

Back