4-year-old killed in pit bull attack

Even a burglar who gets chewed up inside your house can successfully sue you.
ummmm no! not a snow balls chance in hell! ill agree with the rest of what you say but if a burglar breaks into ur house and gets bitten his suit would never make it past the initial hearing. sure, anyone can sue for anything but a burglar has no chance of winning a civil suit when he is breaking into ur house and gets bit.

running thru ur yard while commiting a crime would yield the same results. now if a kid happen to be cutting thru ur yard and was bit by ur dog that that might hold some water in a civil court but not when a criminal is committing a felony either approaching or exiting ur residence.

but, on the flip side if you have a decent size dog in ur house the chances of a burglar entering ur house is almost zero. I have NEVER seen a burglary take place with a large dog in the residence. never once in 17 years. has it happened somewhere in the history of the world? im sure it has but ive never seen it.

They are built for one thing "killing".
that's nonsense! pit bulls are built for killing dogs NOT humans. their low center of gravity and relatively large heads give them a decent biting force (for their size) that gives them an advantage cause they can get up under the dog they are fighting to grab the windpipe easier cause they are generally short and sufficate the dog they are fighting. but they dont bite any harder then a german sheppard or doberman.

a Rottweiler will bit harder then all of those dogs will with a bite pressure of about 330 lbs. a german sheppard will bite with about 240 lbs. of pressure while a pit bull will bite with about 230 lbs of pressure. a hyena will bite with about 1000 lbs. of pressure!

if the pit bull was made for killing then they would be a preferred breed for personal protection. they are not the preferred breed. nor are they a preferred breed for law enforcement or border patrol or any sort of training that involves using a dog to protect you. its not a bad protection dog but certainly not made for killing humans.

pit bull are generally dog aggressive not people aggressive. the reason we see so many pit bulls biting people is because they have large liters and many get unplaced or treated poorly and are popular among irresponsible dog owners who fight them and mistreat them and make them miserable.

I have owned a pit bull. my sister owns a pit bull and my best budy has 3 of them and they were all some of the sweetest most loving dogs you could ever own.

there are bad apples in dogs just like there are with humans. some have lyme disease, tumors, cancer or are just generally an azzhole like many many humans are and lash out. it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the breed and EVERYTHING to do with the owner 95% of the time.

Pitbulls were built to kill? Please elaborate on that statement with something other than a biased opinion. I would like to know how this specific breed of dog has been "built" to kill. Once again please provide some facts to reenforce your opinion. Because I assure you that Pitbulls are not the only breed of dog that has bit/maimed/ and killed people. That's a fact, not opinion. There are dozens of forums with pitbull owners who have never had any issues with their dogs whatsoever. That is also a fact. Here is my opinion which is not a fact per say but I'm sure most would agree. Any breed of dog large or small can demonstrate aggressive behavior. Any breed of dog can demonstrate territorial behavior. I also believe that had there been another large breed of dog say a Rotty or a mastiff that 4 year old boy would have suffered the same fate.

Just take a peek at your pit bulls head, is that a head built for licking your face or ripping it off? :dunno:

Cocker spaniels bite! I know, my neighbor has one but thus far I've never heard of a cocker ripping some kids face off.

You can make excuses until your dying days and they are still excuses not worth the air across the vocal cords.

There are two cases I recall here in my area where pit bulls killed grown men, not kids. So please share your "Opinion" on how safe this heavily muscled breed packin jaws like abear trap with an on/off switch that no one seems to know when/if it will be switched into the "ON" position really is.

If your pit bull was the last one on the face of the earth and I had him in my crosshairs the breed would become extinct!

folks as sad as it is i blame the family of the kid for what happened... and i know it is not the good time to blame anyone but then i read some of the comments and just does not make sense!!
and i just hope they don't euthanize the dog..

your thoughts..

4-year-old killed in pit bull attack | News - Home.

This happened to some friends of ours several years ago in Fredericksburg, VA. They owned a pit bull that was about two years old, very good with their kids, and never had a violent episode, never bit anyone either. A neighbor child (three years old) was home with his father, and the father was sleeping mid-day. The child slipped out of the house, went to the neighbor's back yard fence where the dog was, climbed up on some boxes and fell into our friend's back yard. Their dog attacked the child and mauled him to death. No charges were brought, but the dog was put to sleep. Needless to say this event devistated our friends. They still have trouble talking about it today, at least five years later.

P.

Who's making excuses? I provided facts, GNBRET came with facts. He shown that a pitbulls bite isnt even the strongest amongst dogs, nor are they the largest or strongest. So what excuses do you see? Oh thats right you cant see because your still blinded by your biased opinions and fears. Now your bragging about shooting a dog that has done nothing to you if it was in your sights if it was a pitbull? Wow........ big talk from a scared man :whistle:

Pretty much any dog that is ALWAYS chained is being treated in a manner that is conducive to agressive behavior. Dogs weren't designed to be chained up their whole life anymore than we are.

And what of the vicious human animals? RARELY will be put one of those down, no matter what they do, even though, as "top dog", humans have the greatest freedom of choice of anything on the planet. Yet an innocent animal that is caught up in unfortunate circumstances created by humans is immediately considered an threat so great that is it summarily executed. :banghead: Once again, leaving the humans to continue their behavior over and over again.

If we were truly interested in changing the game, the "one strike and you're killed" rule would better applied to the human animals. Then we might see a long term behavioral change in the world rather as opposed to pretending the issues are solved by blaming the dead and the innocent.

I agree with you, but the humans that have changed our world over the past 50 + years have made it impossible. Even in states where someone can be put to death for killing another it cost millions of dollars to move the case through the courts and 15 to 20 years.

Heres some statistics that I was able to find about the issue on a link when I googled breeds of dogs that kill.

Which Dog Breeds Are More Likely To Kill PeopleBy: otaffy digg

Dog breeds in general have similar characteristics. Some dog breeds are more likely to kill than others and some breeds are more protective of their masters and physical surrounding than others. There has been a 20 year study to determine which dog breeds are more likely to actually kill human beings. This United States study was done for the years 1979 through 1998.

This study tracks 238 human deaths from dog attacks during a 20 year period. 24% of these attacks involved unrestrained dogs off their owners property. 58% of the deaths involved unrestrained dogs on their owners property. 17% involved restrained dogs on their owners property and less than 1% involved a restrained dog off the owners property.

Some of the conclusions of the study are not suprising. Yes, certain breeds are more likely to kill than others. Yes, deaths from dog attack are quite rare. Also it is sometimes difficult to determine the actual breed of a dog. Communities who try to ban specific dog breeds for public safety will find it difficult to define the parameters of what constitutes that breed.

Several factors interact with the dog to enhance the possibility of a human being attacked by a dog besides the breed of the dog. These factors include heredity, sex, early experience, socialization, training, health, reprodcutive status, quality of ownership and victum behavior. Additionally, this study did not look at intervening variable such as was the dog protecting his owner from serious harm or death or was the dog actually protecting himself from serious harm or death.

Male dogs are 6.2 times more likely to bite then female dogs. Sexually intact dogs,both male and female, are 2.6 more times likely to bite than neutered dogs and chained dogs are 2.8 times more likely to bite then unchained dogs.

One suprising conclusion of several studies is the fact that many varieties of dogs have been involved in a fatal human attack for one reason or another. Topping the list of deaths by dog in a twenty year period is the Pit Bull and Pit Bull mix at 66 human deaths. The Rottweiler and Rottweiler mix was responsibe for 39 human deaths. The German Shepherd dog and mix were responsible for 17 human deaths. The Husky type dog was responsible for 15 human deaths as was the Malamute responsible for 12 human deaths. The Chow Chow was responsible for 8 deaths while the Doberman was responsible for 9 human deaths. The Saint Bernard was responsible for 7 human deaths and the Great Dane was also responsible for 7 deaths. The Akita killed 4 people, the Bulldog 2, the Mastiff 2, the Boxer 2 and believe it or not the Labrador Retriever was responsible for 1 death while Lab mixes were responsible for 4 deaths. The following dogs were responsible for killing one human each during these twenty years: The Bullmastiff, Cheasapeake Bay Retriever, West Highland Terrier, Japanese Hunting Dog, Newfoundland, Coonhound, Sheepdog, Rhodesian Ridgeback and cocker Spaniel.

The conclusion that I make from this study is that almost any dog of size can be dangerous, particularly to children. Dogs must be properly trained, supervised, and care must be taken when choosing a breed with the propensity to be aggressive. Most important, keep young children away from male, sexually intact, chained dogs. :rulez:

We never even had locks on our doors growing up as a kid. Summer time we'd go to church on Sunday and visit family in the afternoon leaving our doors and windows open. Never once had a problem. We kept a yard full of hounds to hunt with but never had a vicious dog. You never hear of a flop eared hound killing anything other than a barn cat once in a while.

Just owning a pit bull is taking a huge risk. They are built for one thing "killing". Some insurance companies won't insure a home owner nor renter with a pit bull.

I've acquired too many assets to risk it all via a dog with the ability to rip Hulk Hogan's face off and a reputation of doing so on occasion. The poor bloke that owns the pit that killed the little boy in Texas is being researched by attorneys as we speak to see if he has assets worth going after. I doubt he/she will be criminally charged but if he has a pot worth pissin in, he will be sued civilly. A tragedy indeed which could have been avoided.

Sad day for everyone involved including the dog.

I'm careful around these animals because they have the ability to do great harm. I have never been attacked by one and my job ( sux ) puts me in harms way all the time. Drug dealers use them in a similar fashion to the one described. They chain them in a manner to cover their place of business. Been around ones that were all love. These animals are everywhere and often abused in my opinion. Find them dead all the time.

The problem is that accountability and common sense is all but gone in this country. We always want to blame someone or something. This is in no way the dogs fault. It is very tragic, but not the dogs fault. I own 2 dobermans, and one would tear your face off if anyone came up to him in my house without me being there. However he is the biggest baby to anyone that knows him, and I let him off leash at dog parks, without a single incident! I was just at a park this weekend, a DOG park outside of Birmingham Alabama, and I bet there were close to 20 kids INSIDE the dog area for of leash playing. It was all I could do to not go around and literally start screaming at the parents of these kids. Kids do not know how to go up to a strange dog and not be threatening. All it would take is for one thing to happen and it would be tragic. My point is, ACCOUNTABILITY has got to be brought back to this country. We have got to stop passing the buck and blaming everything else. This country is burning, and we need to put out the fire! Anyone that feels this dog should be put down needs to get a reality check!

Are you saying the dog did not kill the child ???

Who's making excuses? I provided facts, GNBRET came with facts. He shown that a pitbulls bite isnt even the strongest amongst dogs, nor are they the largest or strongest. So what excuses do you see? Oh thats right you cant see because your still blinded by your biased opinions and fears. Now your bragging about shooting a dog that has done nothing to you if it was in your sights if it was a pitbull? Wow........ big talk from a scared man :whistle:

Hmmm, interesting facts. I have to wonder why owners chain these animals with log chains, and why I've had to track down these dogs because they have broken their restraints ??? It could be that the media has decided to report incidents involving this breed while ignoring others, but this breed has been reported in this area numerous times killing adults. It would be interesting to see statistics. As far as the jaw strength, does it really matter if you can bite a 2X4 in half or a 4X4. 230 pounds is more than enough.

I'm not an expert, but it would be interesting to see if the problems with this breed are based on the breed or the way humans have trained and used them.

Heres some statistics that I was able to find about the issue on a link when I googled breeds of dogs that kill.

Which Dog Breeds Are More Likely To Kill PeopleBy: otaffy digg

Dog breeds in general have similar characteristics. Some dog breeds are more likely to kill than others and some breeds are more protective of their masters and physical surrounding than others. There has been a 20 year study to determine which dog breeds are more likely to actually kill human beings. This United States study was done for the years 1979 through 1998.

This study tracks 238 human deaths from dog attacks during a 20 year period. 24% of these attacks involved unrestrained dogs off their owners property. 58% of the deaths involved unrestrained dogs on their owners property. 17% involved restrained dogs on their owners property and less than 1% involved a restrained dog off the owners property.

Some of the conclusions of the study are not suprising. Yes, certain breeds are more likely to kill than others. Yes, deaths from dog attack are quite rare. Also it is sometimes difficult to determine the actual breed of a dog. Communities who try to ban specific dog breeds for public safety will find it difficult to define the parameters of what constitutes that breed.

Several factors interact with the dog to enhance the possibility of a human being attacked by a dog besides the breed of the dog. These factors include heredity, sex, early experience, socialization, training, health, reprodcutive status, quality of ownership and victum behavior. Additionally, this study did not look at intervening variable such as was the dog protecting his owner from serious harm or death or was the dog actually protecting himself from serious harm or death.

Male dogs are 6.2 times more likely to bite then female dogs. Sexually intact dogs,both male and female, are 2.6 more times likely to bite than neutered dogs and chained dogs are 2.8 times more likely to bite then unchained dogs.

One suprising conclusion of several studies is the fact that many varieties of dogs have been involved in a fatal human attack for one reason or another. Topping the list of deaths by dog in a twenty year period is the Pit Bull and Pit Bull mix at 66 human deaths. The Rottweiler and Rottweiler mix was responsibe for 39 human deaths. The German Shepherd dog and mix were responsible for 17 human deaths. The Husky type dog was responsible for 15 human deaths as was the Malamute responsible for 12 human deaths. The Chow Chow was responsible for 8 deaths while the Doberman was responsible for 9 human deaths. The Saint Bernard was responsible for 7 human deaths and the Great Dane was also responsible for 7 deaths. The Akita killed 4 people, the Bulldog 2, the Mastiff 2, the Boxer 2 and believe it or not the Labrador Retriever was responsible for 1 death while Lab mixes were responsible for 4 deaths. The following dogs were responsible for killing one human each during these twenty years: The Bullmastiff, Cheasapeake Bay Retriever, West Highland Terrier, Japanese Hunting Dog, Newfoundland, Coonhound, Sheepdog, Rhodesian Ridgeback and cocker Spaniel.

The conclusion that I make from this study is that almost any dog of size can be dangerous, particularly to children. Dogs must be properly trained, supervised, and care must be taken when choosing a breed with the propensity to be aggressive. Most important, keep young children away from male, sexually intact, chained dogs. :rulez:

Good information, but it might be a little dated. It's 15 years old. My only point here is that over time different dogs become popular and that would have an impact on the statistics. In the study, the pit bull really stands out.

As in many of the debates here. We have little to no information about the incident. We have focused on the pit bull and his safety and forgotten a 4 year old child was killed.

A tragedy indeed

I posted the information to merely show other breeds of dogs have killed people. I know the information is old but facts are still facts and it shows that pitbulls are not the only dogs to have taken a life

I posted the information to merely show other breeds of dogs have killed people. I know the information is old but facts are still facts and it shows that pitbulls are not the only dogs to have taken a life

But you understand that 15 years ago the pit bull was way out front on killing people :poke:

Long posts make my head hurt :(

Dogs aren't vicious unless they are told or trianed to be. For some breeds it comes more
Naturally but I think it still has to be taught into them to be mean or aggressive. All dogs natural desire is to serve their master, simply.

my previous next door neighbor when i had my house adopted two labs,a black female and a white male... he told me he is going to train the white lab to be mean.. guess what he did a good job at it:banghead: the female one was as sweet as can be and the male one was mean as can be...after two years of being around the dog every time i was in back yard ( standard wood fence) and try to be kind to this dog he wanted to bite me through the fence.. but when the dog was in front of the house he did not do that but then again i did not care to get close to him and try to pet him..:laugh:
i think the people are very responsible for how they raise their dogs and how they treat them regardless of what breed they are..

Long posts make my head hurt :(

Dogs aren't vicious unless they are told or trianed to be. For some breeds it comes more
Naturally but I think it still has to be taught into them to be mean or aggressive. All dogs natural desire is to serve their master, simply.

I disagree, dogs and animals in general large enough to inflict damage are dangerous, when we domesticate them we would like to think they all of a sudden lose every predatory instinct. Theres history of any domesticated animal turning on it's owner with little to no reason.

well, not entirely. there are unstable vicious dogs just as there are unstable vicious people.

if statistically a certain race of people are more likely to committ a crime does that mean that particular race of people are more dangerous?

my doberman is far more trust worthy around a strange child then any strange human would be around that same child. humans are much more vicious then dogs could ever dream of being but because they are animals vs. humans we tend to paint them as more evil then humans when they act out cause they are animals. nothing could be further from the truth considering humans are far more intelligent then animals.

staticially a human is FAR more dangerous then a dog. a dog of ANY breed.

that's nonsense! pit bulls are built for killing dogs NOT humans. their low center of gravity and relatively large heads give them a decent biting force (for their size) that gives them an advantage cause they can get up under the dog they are fighting to grab the windpipe easier cause they are generally short and sufficate the dog they are fighting. but they dont bite any harder then a german sheppard or doberman.

a Rottweiler will bit harder then all of those dogs will with a bite pressure of about 330 lbs. a german sheppard will bite with about 240 lbs. of pressure while a pit bull will bite with about 230 lbs of pressure. a hyena will bite with about 1000 lbs. of pressure!

if the pit bull was made for killing then they would be a preferred breed for personal protection. they are not the preferred breed. nor are they a preferred breed for law enforcement or border patrol or any sort of training that involves using a dog to protect you. its not a bad protection dog but certainly not made for killing humans.

pit bull are generally dog aggressive not people aggressive. the reason we see so many pit bulls biting people is because they have large liters and many get unplaced or treated poorly and are popular among irresponsible dog owners who fight them and mistreat them and make them miserable.

I have owned a pit bull. my sister owns a pit bull and my best budy has 3 of them and they were all some of the sweetest most loving dogs you could ever own.

there are bad apples in dogs just like there are with humans. some have lyme disease, tumors, cancer or are just generally an azzhole like many many humans are and lash out. it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the breed and EVERYTHING to do with the owner 95% of the time.

Great to hear someone tell it like it is for a change rather than a bunch of hype/nonsense by the uninformed.I've had 3 Pits and they've been the most friendly,non aggressive dogs i've ever been around(and i've been bitten by Rotties,Shepherds,and even a damned ankle bitin' Poodle but never by a Pit).This is my 10 year old at over 100 lbs.,biggest baby on 4 legs!:thumbsup:

newbike084.jpg

Back