2005 K1200S opinions?

gunmetalbusa

Registered
My dad is has his eye on the BMW k1200s, anyone ridden one? They seem pretty cool to me, and the literature seems favorable. Thanks. Busas rule.

thanks ibified. Bikez.com is an interesting way to compare bikes, and the Busa I has the highest score I could find. I couldn't agree more, although the Beemer is right up there too!

There is a guy here at the bash that has one, that we been talking to and he loves it, he is riding the heck out of it also.

I rode by one from the mountains and met a guy with one not long ago, they are really nice looking and seem to be geared for the less than GXSR rider.
I like the look but love my DOT.
Bubba

The K1200S is a great bike. One negative (other than not being a Busa) is repair costs and spare parts costs.

Another is that BMW dealerships can be few and far between if you're going to be doing cross-state riding. Once you get there they do take great care of you.

My next bike will probably be a BMW to keep the Busa from getting lonely.

I used to work with a guy that has one and he absolutely LOVES his aswell. Can't go wrong with one.

The bike looks great, although he could also get a busa with clip-on extensions and get the same riding position with more power and less cost. If he prefers the BMW though it does seem to be a nice bike.

Spent a 1200 mile weekend on one...

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Similiar, but different.

displayimage.php

My father used to own one and he swore by it. It had about 350,000 miles on it when he sold it and it still ran just as smooth as ever. Quality machine...

My dad is has his eye on the BMW k1200s, anyone ridden one? They seem pretty cool to me, and the literature seems favorable. Thanks. Busas rule.
I own a 2005 K1200S. Put about 12000 miles on it with no problems. Pretty fast for a Beemer. Only drawbacks for me: clunky shifts in 1st & 2nd and lurchy response at low throttle. Gets pretty good mileage and handles well though the front end can seem a little vague with that Hossack suspension. Overall I'm quite satisfied with the bike.

Good long distance bike that will last into high miles (like 100,000).
Sportier than a goldwing.

My cousin has one. I love it, that thing turns like its on rails and hangs right with the busa on the straits. Awsome bike.

My father used to own one and he swore by it. It had about 350,000 miles on it when he sold it and it still ran just as smooth as ever. Quality machine...

They only have been making that bike since 2005...350,000 miles in less than four years ???

2005-BMW-K1200Sc.jpg

They only have been making that bike since 2005...350,000 miles in less than four years ???

It replaced the K1200RS which has been around much longer. Otherwise maybe he's talking about just the K-model which has been around since the 80's... ;)

absolutely my take as well. Had a 2006 k1200r. clunky shifting and lurchy/choppy fueling at lower rpms. this was a real problem, many software releases which never really corrected the problem.

I own a 2005 K1200S. Put about 12000 miles on it with no problems. Pretty fast for a Beemer. Only drawbacks for me: clunky shifts in 1st & 2nd and lurchy response at low throttle. Gets pretty good mileage and handles well though the front end can seem a little vague with that Hossack suspension. Overall I'm quite satisfied with the bike.

A friend of mine recently bought a K1200S. He's a former hayabusa rider as well. He really likes the K12. He says it's more comfortable than his Busa was and has more amenities for touring as expected. He says he misses the torque of the Busa but overall he is very happy with the K12.

Back