Modify the Busa for touring or buy K1200s???

AK Addict

Registered
Found a 2007 K1200s with 1700 miles for a decent price, $8800 and have been racking my brain trying to figure out if I should buy it or modify my Busa for touring, keep in mind I'll be riding two up when touring. The K1200s seems to be better suited for touring with ABS, shaft drive and ESA (ajustable suspension) but I'm not sure I can justify having it and the Busa. My 09 has a full Tsukigi Canon exhaust, PCV, HID's, gel seat and only has 3500 miles so I'm sure I could sell it to cover most if not all the cost of the K1200s. The touring parts cost more for the BMW but they are mostly factory pieces that not only work great but look right. Anyone ride with someone with a K1200s? Suggestions?

i tour on my busa. but im on it alone, because my wife is a big gal and dosent ride on the Busa. she does like the back of my harley though.

if your 2nd is smaller than my gal, and likes to ride on your Busa. i say go for it. there is a slew of cool goodies for touring. passenger tank grips, passenger backrests, touring windscreens, higher handle bars, and more.

i like my tour Buss. it can do things my goldwing never could, and it still eats the miles up just as fast, and sometimes faster.
although it will never be as comfortable as a true tour mechine, i would not hesitate to hop on it and ride across the country and back.
and i have :poke: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...31146-casper-keys-back-travel-log-w-pics.html :thumbsup:

Have you looked at the FJR 1300 better prices than the BMW. If my Busa wasn't so sexy I would sell it and buy one :)

You need some pics.

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Img_8796_Crowd.jpg

Img_8832_dash.jpg

Img_8857_K1200S_BigSurBridge.jpg

Img_8985_Turri_K1200S.jpg

Img_9128_Panoche.jpg

Img_9141_K1200S.jpg

displayimage.php

Have also led several tours on the K1200R, which is the same exact bike, just no plastic. Might not look like it, but it was a knee-draggin' machine.

displayimage.php

The difference between the K1200S & Busa is the Hayabusa has way more horsepower, torque and grunt.

The K1200S was smooth, refined, sophisticated and state of the art (for the time at least). Maintenance costs way higher, the Busa is a tank. We sell more Ohlins shocks to BMW owners than any other brand b/c the shocks are toast after 30K. Shaft drive made power delivery very smooth. Roll on, roll off.

Two-up Touring you can set any bike up for.

The fork takes some getting used to. It's heavy at low speed, but once you are up and running you get used to it. There is no dive. That's BMW-engineering for you.

Where the K1200S was most different was in the handling. Similar wheelbase and weight, but if you look closely at the K1200R without all that plastic, the motor is rolled forward to change the center of gravity much lower. So despite the heft and weight, it was amazingly flick-able and handling in the hyper-twisties at speed was fantastic.

The downside to the K1200S for me though is what most reviews thought, it's somewhat dull, uninspiring and mellow. It doesn't make you drool all over yourself. The bodywork is okay, distinct enough to be BMW, but not unique enough to really stand out (Busa is one-of-a-kind recognizable).

If you watch this video, you can see how it handles. Shot aboard the K1200R, but again, same exact bike.

Img_8796_Crowd.jpg

Img_8832_dash.jpg

Img_8857_K1200S_BigSurBridge.jpg

Img_8985_Turri_K1200S.jpg

Img_9128_Panoche.jpg

Img_9141_K1200S.jpg

I looked at a low mile, highly accessorized '05 K1200S before buying my 'Busa. The Beemer is slightly more refined, and has some nice features for touring that are factory integrated, rather than being add ons as they would be with the 'Busa. The 'Busa is much simpler to work on (no CANBUS, for example) and maintenance is straightforward.

BMW has had some issues lately, and specifically with the '05 up K1200: transmissions, ABS control modules, and ECUs were problems. Final drives seem to have problems across their model line lately. I did a lot of reading on the BMW forums, and determined that it was not a bike I wanted to own without a warranty, as repairs could get expen$$ive quickly! Most commentary indicated they got better as they went along, and '08 models were the best to buy. Those that had them, and had either not had problems, or had them fixed under warranty, loved the bike.

YMMV

Ya know I thought about getting one before my first bike, (ZZR1200) but the wife didnt like the look of it. After I did some research on it I found the repairs to be more expensive. Just like any other BMW.

Now me and the wife are on a busa together. We tour and it is stock, but I am in the process for turing it into more of a tourer. My question is this, do you allready own the bike, if so then you will be saving money by just upgrading vs. buying the new bike and getting those upgrades. Also if you dont own the bike you will probably not get enough to cover the cost of the new one and then upgrades.

Ill tell you what though now that I am on the busa, I wouldnt trade it for anything. In the end it is what is more comfortable to you and your wife.

Good luck with your choice.

im sorry i thought you meant the k1200 LT.

but if a bike like pashnit's is what your looking at. stick with the Hayabusa.:rulez: a much better bike imo.

i thought your were thinking about getting one of these.

BMW K1200LT LIB.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm still trying to figure it out. Pashnit you obviously have toured on both, which do you prefer? If I was looking at the K1300s would that change your opinion? I could probably keep the Busa but I'm afraid one of the bikes would just sit seeing they have a lot of similarities and here in the northeast it's hard to find time to put alot of miles on one bike let alone two.

2 up touring on a busa would be difficult/impossible. Too much weight with luggage and limited to very little luggage. Leave her home, take a "Man Trip" and buy a full dresser for the times she goes with you. I am not responsible for the divorce. :rofl:

Well I bought the K1200S today. The dealer had a new Busa on the floor this time so it was easier for the wife to compare comfort between the BMW and my 09 Busa. She said the BMW was a lot more comfortable for her. I plan on setting it up for touring and keeping my Busa for um more spirited riding. :laugh: Here's a pic of it at the dealer, I pick it up next weekend. :cheerleader:

DSC00608.jpg

Well I bought the K1200S today. The dealer had a new Busa on the floor this time so it was easier for the wife to compare comfort between the BMW and my 09 Busa. She said the BMW was a lot more comfortable for her. I plan on setting it up for touring and keeping my Busa for um more spirited riding. :laugh: Here's a pic of it at the dealer, I pick it up next weekend. :cheerleader:

DSC00608.jpg

Congrats on your new purchase. Great color combination. :beerchug:

Well I bought the K1200S today. The dealer had a new Busa on the floor this time so it was easier for the wife to compare comfort between the BMW and my 09 Busa. She said the BMW was a lot more comfortable for her.

Congrats on the new bike- post some close-up's when you get it.

No doubt she likes the rear foot peg situation much better.

Well I got it home yesterday and it's sixty today, damn sand and salt covered roads are killing me!
978jkz.jpg

Here she is with the Busa.
xaq7o8.jpg

i've ridden a k1200r quite a bit. FUN bike. very quick and easy to control despite the weight. you completely forget the ABS is even there, very unobtrusive. the wide bars make it a lot easier to muscle around than a stock busa. though it won't wheelie without cresting a steep hill (speaking from experience. hehe.).
so all in all, awesome bike. though the one i rode (good buddy's) ended up having a lot of clutch issues. apparently had a recall on the housing bearing and just never was "right" afterward, despite multiple trips back to the shop. my buddy ended up trading it in on the s1000rr. not saying it's an issue for all of them and this wasn't a special case, but definitely worth looking into

Back