tour of new england

OB_fast eddie

Registered
recently toured new england with 3 friends on my 2013 busa. This was my first really long trip on it. It was a 14 day trip thru 10 states and 8 nites tent camping. Longest day mileage wise was 300 miles. We averaged 185 miles per day so total was 2600 miles. We traveled backroads mainly and went thru a lot of small towns . Started i n Culpeper Va, went thru Pa, NY, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Mass, and Conn. then NY, Pa,and back to Va. Oh yeah, on first day we went thru small sections of West Virginia and Maryland. Saw lots of mountains and some great scenery like Mt. Washington, and the Maine coast. Ate ice cream at the original Ben and Jerry's. Ate fresh lobster in Maine. This was my first time in new england. This was only my 3rd road trip of this magnitude in my life but this time it was very easy since I am retired and never felt pressed for time. I wont go into too much detail about the trip but I wanted to talk about the 2013 busa comfort and performance. So my bike is stock except for heli bars and slip-on exhaust shorty's (Coffman's). I am 59 years old and 5' 8" and about 165 lbs. Was very comfortable on the bike and never got too tired or sore but then again we only rode about 185 miles per day. Was able to carry plenty of tent camping stuff and a few clothes and rain suit with a tail bag and large dry bag. The tail bag is on a luggage rack that extends behind the passenger seat. Since we were on backroads most of the time the busa got good gas milaege. I was going about 225 miles before low gas light came on. When we started the trip my busa had 20,000 miles on it and original chain and sprockets and after 2600 more miles the chain and sprockets still look good and is very quiet-so the life of this chain impresses me. So it just goes to show that if you are just touring and not racing a busa it holds up well with very little maintenance. Very pleased with my 2013 busa which is my second busa. My first busa was a 2000 which I put over 60000 miles on including a lot of drag races. I also have a 2005 Honda st1300 which I ride a good bit but the busa is by far my favorite bike. Been riding since age 16 and have ridden a lot of different streetbikes over the years but the busa is one of the best all around street bike or sport touring bikes in my opinion.

Sounds like a good time.

Where you able to get any pictures of your voyage?

You think a Hayabusa is a better sport tour bike than an ST1300 which has factory hard bags and is like sitting on a Lazy Boy couch??

Sounds like a good time.

Where you able to get any pictures of your voyage?

You think a Hayabusa is a better sport tour bike than an ST1300 which has factory hard bags and is like sitting on a Lazy Boy couch??
no pics at this time but no the busa is not a better sport touring bike than the st 1300 but there are 2 things I like about it better-the lower seat height and it handles wind better. I was just saying that it is a great all around bike.

no pics at this time but no the busa is not a better sport touring bike than the st 1300 but there are 2 things I like about it better-the lower seat height and it handles wind better. I was just saying that it is a great all around bike.
I was going to say you must be made out of rawhide and leather to ride a Hayabusa that far on a trip...I'm good for a couple hours max than I have to get off it for the day.

I was going to say you must be made out of rawhide and leather to ride a Hayabusa that far on a trip...I'm good for a couple hours max than I have to get off it for the day.
Longest ride I’ve done on the busa has been about 7 hours. Wasn’t fun on that last hour.

Longest ride I’ve done on the busa has been about 7 hours. Wasn’t fun on that last hour.
When I was younger, being on a bike that long would have been second nature....now it is pain...

Even a more upright riding position wouldn't help as it is my hands that hurt after a while.

When I was younger, being on a bike that long would have been second nature....now it is pain...

Even a more upright riding position wouldn't help as it is my hands that hurt after a while.
Im only 29, so I should be able to ride longer but after the accident, my back doesn’t take long rides well. 6 years ago I did about a 10 hour ride on a CBR 300 and was fine. But now I take a break every hour or two to stretch my back and avoid a bit of pain

Nice but we need pics! :D I‘ve always wanted to take a ride in that area but crossing the Great Plains keeps me around here. Flat flat desert riding is not fun. I should get out again. You just have to think of touring as a series of day rides, all in a row. It’s surprising how much better of a rider you become around the third day too. Eight states in ten days around 4,000 miles was my longest but I’ve had several 8-10 day tours with less mileage. Maybe late september or august if the heat goes down. Lodging is more expensive these days too, and fuel. Damn! 100 degree days for months unless I stay above 7,500’. But they’re no motels up there!:laugh:

Back