ZERO GRAVITY R&D

Can somebody that has the Sport touring screen tell Me if it has what I call a "flip" at the top of it?

Reason I ask, the one I have here looks like just like the Sport touring screen but there is NO "flip" on this one!

This maybe one of the new proto types that Glen & I had talked about?

I must say that the screen I have here looks really nice with the so called "flip" removed.

Does your Sport T have the Flip?

mabusa, did your new screen seem to provide you with more wind protection then your stock screen?

How well can you see through your clear shield at night, when there is on coming traffic?

Is there any glare from their headlights?

Frank,
A buddy just got an ST last week. His has a slight flip to it. Mine was purchased in March and has less, if any flip. We were just commenting yesterday on the fact that either ZG has some small variability in their manufacturing process, or they just recently changed the design on the ST to add more flip. Both screens were ordered directly from ZG.
EZ

I have the Sport Tour on my Busa and it has a slight flip. It is NOT a good screen for high speed. I was on Grattan Raceway this past Sunday and the screen was flapping around at 150 + on the front straight. At an indicated 175 I thought it was going to flap into my helmet while tucked in. The plastic is way too thin and flimsy. It needs far more rigidity like the stock screen. ZG needs to revise it and make it thicker.

Jim

Frank there is definately more wind protection from the ST than the stock screen. I couldnt even get down under the stock one it was so low. I havent driven it at night yet........

My ZG sport touring smoke is perfect! 175 miles an hour no shake or buzz tuck a little bit and no wind at that speed great screen but it does not look very expensive a little bit thin

Installed my DB this week. Installation was a snap...5 minutes. Fit and finish was excellent. Will test ride tomorrow and post my opinion tomorrow night. The ZG screen on my Yamaha has been on it for 7 years and still looks like new. I don't remember what model it is..it is shaped like the stock shield.

I went for my first ride yesterday with the DB. It was a real windy day, strong cross winds all day. I could not get a good evaluation of the wind protection of the DB, although I could see the gauges much better. Also I noticed that my jacket did not have as many bug guts as it usually does after a ride. This must mean that the wind over the shield has moved higher than stock. My face shield was no cleaner than usual. As far as feel of wind protection I could not tell any improvement, but like I said it was REALLY windy Yesterday. I think the DB looks great on the Busa, the lines of the shield flow with the lines of the fairing. I would purchase again.

So, between the sport touring and the double bubble, which one WORKS the best? ie. Wind deflection, stiffness at high speed, etc. Not which one LOOKS the best. Need to know which to buy. Haven't really been able to tell which one is actually better. Thanks.

The DB seems to have no flex at 110 in heavy cross winds, was more stable than stock shield, but that was about as fast as I took her Sunday. I go for looks most of the time as long as it is not a terrible disadvantage. I could not tell you what is the best. What is best for me may not suit you at all. If you are so "into" wind protection get a Goldwing...or even better a cage.

"If you are so "into" wind protection get a Goldwing...or even better a cage."

I thought you were being helpful until this asinine comment.

Theradar, I am liking my clear S/T shield a lot after only a few hundred miles behind it. It offers great wind protection and visibility. It doesn't flex or vibrate at 150 MPH. It's easy to get down behind it too. One warning though...it looks a little BIG until you get used to seeing it. It's roughly $77.
I can e-mail you a pic if you haven't seen on on the bike yet.

Don_ny_@hotmail.com

The ST does look significantly higher (I'm 6'1"). Aw hell, maybe I'll just buy both, try em out, and try to sell the one I don't keep.

Thradar, I haven't used the DB but I'm pretty sure the ST 'works' better, and has significantly better wind protection.

The ST just doesn't look as good as stock or the DB. But I think you get used to the looks after time. My ST seems to have a bit of a lip on it. The tinted one may look better.

I e-mailed Glen Cook at Zero Gravity today and gave him a link to this topic. He responded by saying that the input & information was "UNBELIEVABLE". He also said that he wished he recieved the same kind of feed back from the other screens supplied other makes of motorcycles.
He said ZG would be offering another screen in the future and that he was looking forward to making a better screen from info you guys have been giving and what I have to supply him with later on.

The way I see it ZG is concerned and wants to improve on whats already available.

We need to say thanks to all of us on this one!!

I would like to have the ST for touring. A friend of mine has one on his xz-11 and it does a really good job. Deflect the wind over his head. He has to clean his shield about 1/2 as often as I do. I have never ridden his bike with the shield so I could not help with an info on buffeting or such.
lockhart make a similar shield and is much cheaper. I think they call it the Euro model of something. I have seen one and it looks ok for the money.

Thradar:
If you don't do a lot of tourning maybe a DB would be best and get a cheaper L-P for those not so often tours. It only takes 5 minutes to change shields.

Back