ZERO GRAVITY R&D

Frank Adams

Registered
Over the next 3 to 4 weeks I'll be doing some R&D with "4" different Zero Gravity wind screens.

Before I start I would like to hear ALL negative & positive responces from the ones that already use this Screen.

I'm going to focus on the Dragrace part of this prodject more than anything else, but I have a few other things setup for the every day riding part.

I'd like to know such things like:

how well you "can" or "can not" see through it in the day or night?

how well it "does" or "does not" keep the wind off of you while your riding?

noises, colors, anything you can think of Good or Bad?!

There is a few Proto types that has never been on a Busa yet that may raise the mph in 1/4 mile???

Everybodies input could help produce a better product for the Busa.
Any research that can do that, I'm all for it!!!

Thanks a head of time!

Frank

Well i know that if hit hard the zero gravity will shatter.........how bout making it shatter proof.......more like the oem. even if is more expensive its worth it................

I love mine in dark smoke, although I never attempt to look through it at speed. Prefering instead to peak out just over the top edge of it. I consider it a must have addition to the busa.

I had a lady back over me in a parking lot on my 99 copper busa and the first image i saw while tumbling off my bike was the smoke color db beig shattered--since i bought the 00 blue busa ive had the flourescent blue db on it and as the smoke one on the 99, it provides excellent wind protection--the plus to the flourescent is you can see through the screen better---also during the daytime the sun glares on it making it have a different look depending on what angle your looking at it--its a definite must for the busa and should be the first upgrade---at 75 dollars its a bargain and price should stay that way! I do agree it should be more flexible and shatter proof or resistant!

Frank,
As a follow up to my prior post.
I've got the Zero Gravity Sport Touring.
Part no:12-133 color:02.
I'm 6ft / 175lbs / 33-34" inseam.
Bike does not have risers (stock triple clamp.)
I commute 80 miles daily on the bike.
I have 3500 miles on a '00 Busa with this screen.
When riding tucked, wind is over the top of the helmet.
When seated for sport touring, wind hits just above the face shield.
When sitting up, wind hits full face; but there is little if any wind pressure on chest.
I've had the bike at the track and at Stir Crazy where the LABusas hang out. Many of these guys have the Double-Bubble, but many have commented that they like the look of the Sport-Touring on the Busa.
The stock screen's edge has a bead on it, that is to say it's a little thicker at the trailing edge. I was disappointed to see that the Zero Gravity lacked this. Therefore my first impression when taking the ZG out of the box was that it was not of the same quality as the stock screen because it lacked the thickness of the stock screen. Perhaps this is why the screen buzzes when installed without taping the fairing edge. However, since installing the screen I've gotten over this issue, and have recommended the screen to several others.
EZ

I've got the Sport Touring in Smoke.
Has some small vibrational buzz and will probably need the electricians tape trick. Provides good wind protection at speed even if you're not fully tucked. Good visibility through or over screen. Allows unobstructed view of complete instrument cluster including turn indicators.
EZ

Have had one on my Yamaha for about 5 years now. Excellent quality, & visibility. Can't wait to get one for my Busa...just haven't decided which one and what color. Does any one have a red one on the red/gray? Pictures?

My clear sport touring screen is on its way from zero gravity as I type.
What's this about taping the fairing edge? Why would one do that?

The leading edge is just plain straight cut? No fancy edge? Thats kinda cheesy of them!

thanks

Mabusa. Taping is optional. You may want to 'thicken up' the tabs of the screen where it slides into the fairing, for a more snug fit. You won't see the tape when you are done. I did not do this, and haven't noticed any buzzing.

I think I read that someone got some 'trim' from ZG to install on the trailing edge of their ST screen, to reduce turbulence. I would like to hear more about this, though I'm not having a problem with turbulence per se. Anybody know about this?

I'm happy to see this topic is revisited. Does the Double Bubble come in clear? I'm one of those who uses his at high speed...

Hi Frank,

I've had the double bubble since they first came out.

positive:

looks great;
allows one to see the gauges,
less wind blast, if you use a standard tank bag;
no problem seeing through;

Negative:

in the rain or heavy mist, droplettes enter under face shield, unless it is closed all the way, have even had water come in the "vent" holes while riding in the rain;

the wind blast, when using large tank bag, is direct on the face plate, would be nice to have a lip or some design to assist here ... considering most street guys are not going 200 mph, nor 200 mph in the rain, but at normal speed this is a problem;

hope this helps;

Alan

Sport Touring in regular smoke. 5ft-10in., Genmar riser. Wind hits me at the shoulders in normal riding position and its smooth without much buffeting. My crouch gets me out of the wind stream but I still see over the shield, so I probably don't crouch as low as a lot of people. I don't think I would like looking through the smoke screen, but I don't think a clear shield would look as good on my black Busa. No vibration problem, but I wish it was as thick as the stock shield.

Except for not being able to see the instruments, I was happy with the stock shield. I may buy a double bubble clear and give it a try.

Try to be specific when talking about which Zero Gravity Screen you have, Please!

Right now I two columns for each screen in My notes.(Doulble Bubble- Sport Touring)

Maybe a couple of you could tell how tall you are, and where the wind hits you at while riding? (be sure to add if your useing the Gen-Mars also)

More "Shatter Proof" was one suggestion. What others are there, if any?

Thanks, keep the info coming! :)

Got a 99 blk busa with the zg db dk smk. I really like the way it looks and the added hight is a plus for me. At 6'4" 285lbs the stock screen let the wind hit about 1/2 face on the helmet, with the db it's more smooth and glances off the top but of coarse my shoulders still feel the same. some times it's a curse being large! like someother riders i look over the top, and the blk tape works well. just put the screen on yesterday and had to put some miles on to see how it worked, like tony says "it's Grrrrate' the only suggestion would be to put a small flare on the design at the top, say about an added 1/4" to shoot the wind up instead of strait back. Just a thought.....TMAX

Got a clear Sport Tour screen. Here are the pros and cons:

PROS:
- Much better wind protection than stock. When sitting up the wind hits just below my chin. I am 6'1". Also hits my shoulders a little, but not too much, just enough to relieve a little pressure off the wrists.
- Can get totally out of the wind when in a tuck. Easier to ride fast.
- Can see very well through the screen. Which is why I went clear.
- I SUSPECT I am getting significantly better fuel economy. Even though I geared the Busa down 6% I seem to be going further on a tank than ever. I went for a long ride this weekend, riding fast through the mountains, and was surprised at the distance I got out of a tank (over 300km - correcting for the error of gearing down my bike). Why I think I get better mileage: While the stock screen provides better aeros while tucked, the ST provides better aeros while sitting up. If you think about this a bit, it makes sense. Overall, the shape is cleaner when using the ST and sitting up.
- For sheer practicality, the ST is hard to beat.

CONS:

- Changes the looks of the bike significantly. The jury is still out, but I am thinking the screen makes the bike look a little dorky. Tinted may not be so bad.

UNDECIDED:

- I don't know if this is a con or a pro. But the ST changes the way I ride fast (or think I ride fast) in the twisties. Reason, with every windshield you have that 'turbulent area' where your helmet is buffeted by the wind making it distracting to ride that way, particularly when going fast in the corners. With the ST you body positioning changes, compared to the stock screen, when riding fast and avoiding the turbulent zone. I am not saying this is worse, just different. I am still experimenting with this, but seem to have found a way to make this work for me.

I would also like to try a DB. The DB is that middle ground compromise between looks and functionality.

But on long rides, the ST is the way to go.

I have the DB and the only thing that bothers me is the style. The shape of the trailing edge of the screen looks pretty much like a straight line. This does not fit in well with the style of the the Busa. The Busa has very few if any straight lines in it's body work.
Tell them to get a new industrial designer and have him finish the job on the trailing edge.

And they can leave off the poor quality decals.

[This message has been edited by highpwr (edited 03 May 2000).]

I got a couple of riding hours in on my light-smoke DB. I 'think' there's more turbulent air hitting my helmet in my touring position and thus causing increased noise in the helmet. If I raise my head up higher it goes away, I don't remember this with the stock screen...then again I've only got 300 miles on the bike. It seems like a good piece for top speed runs when you want to tuck down, otherwise it just gives a better view of the gauges.

I love mine. Only suggestion I would make is to make it thicker and/or less flexible. It provides a larger pocket to duck into on high speed runs and looks good too.

Back