You wanted it so here it is

jwcfbd

Administrator
Donating Member
Registered
One night after work I was getting ready to make the ride home when I decided to wait for two other guys to come out.  I waited for about 15 minuets and was just about to leave when someone came out and we started talking.  After about 5 minuets talking to him I thought surely my friends would be right out so I waited a little longer.  Once again just as I was about to leave someone else came out and we talked.  This happened at least once or twice more before my friends finally came out.  We only rode about one mile before they turned left and I was going to continue straight.  I waved bye to them and then decided to make the turn after all and follow them.  I hit the gas, caught up to and hung with them through the first turn but they pulled away from me going through the second turn.  Once I exited the turn I saw a long straight away and took advantage of the power of the Busa.  I dropped down two gears and nailed the gas.  Just as I caught up with them, they slowed and entered the third turn that I didn't know was there.  I was going way to fast and hit the rear brakes hard.  Well, the rear tire locked up and I felt the bike starting to slide out from under me.  I got off the brakes and saw a small opening in the guard rail ahead of me and pointed for it.  As soon as I left the road everything went to a blur because I was getting bounced all over the place.  Then all of a sudden things got crystal clear and that is when I saw the tree.  Before I had a chance to even think about what was going to happen there was a bright flash and I was laying face down in the dirt.  My bike was about twenty feet away from me and I was about forty feet away from the road.  I tried to roll over and that is when I knew my right leg was broken.  I had to grab my pants leg and lift it to flip over.  I was able to get my helmet off and get out my cell phone just as my buddies came back for me.  One of them came flying off the road and just about lost it in the wet grass while the other stayed on the road.  They called the police and the ambulance.  After a few minuets they all showed up and I was on my way to the hospital.  About half way there I was just starting to feel the pain.  I had a sharp pain just above my right knee and that is when I found out that I had broken my femur.  They put me in traction and that made the pain die down a lot.  Once we arrived at the hospital the cop came up to me and told me that in GA the state law is any single vehicle accident gets a To Fast For Conditions ticket.  Mind you I am strapped down to a stretcher, my neck in a brace and my head taped to the back board, when the cop asks me if I can sign the ticket.  With as much sarcasm as I can muster up I ask him if it was on a clipboard, then told him hold it over my head and give me a pen.  By now it was about 12:30 am and they were asking me who they should call.  "Nobody I"ll call them in the morning because there is nothing they can do now.  Let them sleep.  " When the morning came around I picked up the phone and called my parents to tell them what had happened.  Just as my Dad asked me what hospital I was in (I had no idea) a nurse walked into my room.  This was the first time the day shift nurse had seen me awake the first thing I said to her was " Where am I?"  The look on her face was priceless
laugh.gif
and her chin hit the floor.  I started laughing and said I am sorry and that I knew what had happened but I didn't know where the hospital was to give my parents directions.  The look of relief on her face as almost as funny as before.  By this time I knew that I had broken my leg in four places and I was going in for surgery later that afternoon.  They put my leg back together using two rods and six screws.  One rod in my femur and one in my tibia with three screws holding them in place.  I spent three days in the hospital and then moved in with my parents for almost four months while I healed.  I had to goto physical therapy three times a week for two of these months.  During this time I went through one more surgery to have one of the screws in my femur removed.  Finally I was allowed to go back to work but it was on light duty.  I had to work behind a desk for two months and under went one more surgery before I was allowed to return back to the floor.  I still needed on crutch to get around but at least I was back to my job.  I used that crutch for the better part of a month before I was able to go the whole day without it.  Well, finally last February I got all of the hardware removed from my leg but a part of my femur broke in the process so I missed another two months of work.  
 Lessons learned:
1) Never push yourself to keep up with people that can ride better then you.
2) Never push yourself on roads that you don't know.
3) Always use both front and rear brakes.  I HAD a very bad habit of only using my rear brake.  
4) Think about what you say before it leaves your lips because you can scare the life out of someone that way.
laugh.gif

5) When your time comes up you will know it.  Look how many times things happened in order for me to follow my friends down that road.
wow.gif

All said and done I broke my femur, my tibia, and my fibula(in two places), I under went four different surgeries, I missed six months of work, I was on light duty for two months, used crutches for about eight months total, fixed my bike for $4600 and my leg for around $60,000.  Thank god for insurance.

It was a very painful lesson to learn but now I only ride to please myself.  If I go faster than someone else I always check to make sure that they can catch up to me.  If I go slower than someone else I will let them pass me and I will catch up to them when they let me.  

laugh.gif

ouch
that hurts just reading
glad your back in the sadle
and would you please stay in it this time
g

Damn, Glad you are around to tell it. There are some very solid points made there. I just hope that the right people take it to heart and do a little better than all of us who have went down. Hope you have all good days from now on.

Dude not to seem like too much of a vulture but would you happen to have an X-ray of that break? It's not really gore but it's pretty wild to see the xrays. I'll see if I can find a couple of mine, I might still have one of my shoulder...

Dude not to seem like too much of a vulture but would you happen to have an X-ray of that break?  It's not really gore but it's pretty wild to see the xrays.  I'll see if I can find a couple of mine, I might still have one of my shoulder...
Just remember you asked for it.
leg4.jpg

leg6.jpg

leg5.jpg

rods.jpg

rods2.jpg

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1076127757 -->

jwc is busa your first bike ? and yes back break is way bad !i watched my 43 year old brother do almost same thing and he had 20 years riding time under him but paniced.so dont feel to bad.

jwc is busa your first bike ? and yes back break is way bad !i watched my 43 year old brother do almost same thing and he had 20 years riding time under him but paniced.so dont feel to bad.
The Busa is my second streetbike. I had a CBR 600 for my first one and traded it in with over 30000 miles on it. I grew up riding dirtbikes but it's just not the samething. Back Break? The only thing I broke was my leg.

Dude not to seem like too much of a vulture but would you happen to have an X-ray of that break?  It's not really gore but it's pretty wild to see the xrays.  I'll see if I can find a couple of mine, I might still have one of my shoulder...
ONLY REVLIS would come up with some poop like this...
biggrin.gif

Back Break?  The only thing I broke was my leg.
I think he meant breaking with the rear brake ^^

One thing still puzzles me: what happened at the moment you hit the tree? Did your leg get stuck, or was it crushed between the bike and tree, or did you just fall in a very uncomfortable way?

Glad you're still around to tell the story. If had been your neck or back to take the blow, you might not be here now.

Back Break?  The only thing I broke was my leg.
I think he meant breaking with the rear brake ^^

One thing still puzzles me: what happened at the moment you hit the tree? Did your leg get stuck, or was it crushed between the bike and tree, or did you just fall in a very uncomfortable way?

Glad you're still around to tell the story. If had been your neck or back to take the blow, you might not be here now.
I sideswiped the tree and my leg got pinned between it and the bike. The only thing I can come up with is that when I hit the tree my leg took the brunt of the blow. I had the hump on that night and I am convinced that it made matters worse. That was the last time the hump was on my bike. It happened so fast I don't really know what happened. Like I said I saw the tree for a split second and then the next thing I know I was on the ground face down.

Man - what a story!
sad.gif
I don't follow you though on how the hump made your injury worse. Can you elaborate?

Man - what a story!
sad.gif
 I don't follow you though on how the hump made your injury worse.  Can you elaborate?
My thinking is that it kept me on the bike longer then if just the rear seat was there. I may be way off base but I can't help but wonder, What IF? When I hit the tree my leg got pinned and the hump kept me on the bike. If I hadn't had the hump on would I have just been pulled off the bike with less injuries or not? Probably not but you never know. I'm sure I'll put the hump back on again. I really wish that I could see what exactly happened to me in the process but I will never know. It happened so fast I really have know idea how things went down. For all I know my leg never got anywhere near the tree and it got broken during the tumble. I stopped about 15 feet or so away from the tree and the bike went atleast another 15 feet beyond me.

just trying something

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084812242 -->

Dude not to seem like too much of a vulture but would you happen to have an X-ray of that break?
Would 'buzzard' be more to your liking?
rock.gif

biggrin.gif
What Me?
rock.gif

It's not that I like gruesome images, but there is something to be said for the reinforcement provided by an image. Reading something in text is one thing... Seeing an image is quite another.

Sorry for missing this for a month or so, JW thanks man... and Yeah, I asked for it...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081175219 -->

vulture_walking_md_wht.gif

rock.gif

Good things to keep in mind before you get on the death glider.
1.Remember you have the quickest sport bike, others must kneel before you (Kneel to Zod).
2. You have nothing to prove to anyone because you have the best .
3. Never get on our bike when you’re in a rush.
4.Every time you get on your bike tell yourself “ you could be taking a dirt nap today.â€￾
Hope your feeling better , be good stay safe ...
biggrin.gif

Back