You all got the shaft

This thread reminds me of a cool T-shirt I saw:

It has what looks to be the HD logo and beneath says:

"If Harley Davidson made airplanes, would you fly on one?"

Answer: No.

--Juggler

Man....sounds like these suzukis have their fair share of problems.......you all should have bought a Harley....I haven't had any problems with mine.
Yea, you're right. Just before I decided on my Busa I was almost set on a Springer Soft Tail. I should of went with it. I've had the worst problems with my Busa. Trans@1,100 mi. main bearing seals@ 2,300 mi. Now it starting to knock when it gets warmed up, and I think it's burning oil. All this and I almost forgot to mention that my front wheel almost fell off when I picked the bike up with 4mi on the clock.

I think I'm ready for a Hardly-Davidson.
Bro,

Either you're on an April Fools Mission or you got a REAL lemon. I've got 25k on my 01 'Busa, and the only problem I've had is how to keep from using up my tires so fast. Your bike must have been built on a Friday just before a holiday, or a Tuesday right after a holiday - Stats show that's when an assembly-line-product has the most chance to be turned out as a POS.

All joking aside, the laundry list of problems you are experiencing seems almost unbelievable. So you know that I have to ask you; How hard do you run her?

Hope you have worked out the problems. Moreover, I hope the warranty took care of them.

I had a hard time chosing between my Busa and a Harley. What made me decide was what the dealer told me:
1-Man these Harleys sho are faaast, my fatboy tops out at a whopping 120mph.
2-Man these Harleys sho are cheap, my fatboy only cost me $30,000
3-Man these Harleys sho are reliable, my fatboy only goes in the shop twice a week, every fourth Friday, every other Wednesday, every Easter & Christmas and every third Halloween!

Man it was hard but I went with the Busa
tounge.gif

(seriously never considered owning a Harley..V-Rod the only one that catches my eye)

Hey, you tinker with heads and cams and youre asking for trouble in the reliability department.  no matter WHAT you do, tinker toys are NOT as reliable as stock...period! Thats a chance we take when playing with our toys.  Think maybe the mechanic that installed one or more of your performance mods may not have done it 100% correctly?  Mine's relatively stock and has no problems at all in 2 years.

Harley riders are funny...they shunned the V-Rod because it was nothing like the other harleys.  I guess this "new age liquid cooling stuff"  is too much for them too handle!!!
smile.gif
 But I DO think its cool that you never really have to do a complete oil change on them since you add a quart of oil every couple weeks so your constantly cycling in new lubricant!  kinda like a 2 stroke but with NONE of the power!  LOL

I tell all my Hardly buddies the same thing when I get this kind of ribbing.When a US manufacturer can build a bike that performs like mine and sell it for ten grand I'll buy several.Until then it should be illegal for something to be so loud,but so slow and clumsy.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082401356 -->

This could be taken the wrong way, but the person who made the original post needs to think about what they said.

However, there are a few people who posted after that also need to follow the same advice.

As a Busa' & Harley RK owner, I have had my share of riding experience on all types of bikes. I can say this with firm conviction: real riders are real riders. Comparing a Harley Davidson motorcycle (any and all models) with a Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa (all years) is like comparing apples and oranges. Scratch that; its like comparing apples and pizzas- the only thing they have in common is the fact that they both have two wheels.

Anyone who has ever riden a HD can attest to the following statement; When you ride a HD, you ride history. I have owened four diferent makes of motorcycles over the past 17 years (Honda, Kawaski, HD & Susuki- in order, 1st to last). Only the HD's (I have owned three) put me into a totaly diferent state of mind the first time I rode them. Granted, they are not fast, they do not handle very well and they cost an arm and a leg and a promissary note on a future artifical limb that you may purchase to replace the ones you gave up to buy the motorcycle, but in my opinion, worth every penny. HD's are made for one thing- cruising and looking nice. Don't let anyone tell you they "just got my engine bored out to 103ci and boy will it haul!". The bike weighs 800lbs.!! It takes that type of power just to get that monster up to highway speeds.

On the other hand, the Busa is a sport bike. "Sport" being the operative word. It is for a different type of riding all together. Never before have I owned or even ridden a motorcycle with so much raw power. I have ridden GSXR750's, & 1000's, Ninja's, ect. But When I first rode a friend's 1999 Hayabusa, I was like a kid again. I looked like I slept with a coathanger in my mouth!! I couldn't get the smile off of my face, and quite frankly, I didn't want too. It didn't take long- about three months- till I found one I wanted. It's been over two years and I still smile every time I hit the throttle. It's a great bike.

All that being said, let's turn to the topic on hand- problems with the bikes.

Anyone who has ridden with any regularity can tell you there is no perfect motorcycle maker. If a company ever produced a motorcycle that was guarenteed to never brakedown, people would pay any amount to own one. However, we live in a world where the only guarentee's we get are the one's we have to pay for. Murphy's Law- if something can go wrong, it will. Although there are thousands upon thousands of stories about bike's lasting 30k miles with the owner doing nothing more than "changing the oil, putting tires on it & keeping gas in the tank", there are almost just as many stories about the bike with 50 miles on it that "just quit running". I have been on both ends and no one make is error proof.

New Harley's do not "leak oil like an open wound". Old ones do. New Japanese bikes are not "put together so you can't work on them yourself". Actualy the only reason the old ones were is because of the lack of available parts and knowledgable technicians.

People who ride Harley's are going to disagree with people who ride sport bikes. People who ride sport bikes are going to disagree with people who ride Harley's- although they will have to wait for the HD riders to catch up to them at the next fuel stop!! It's just the way the world works. Is it right? Who can say. I believe anyone who rides is worthy of respect and therefore has mine. I don't care if you ride a 1981 Yamaha... at least you are riding.

I'll get down off my soap box now.

Stay on the road and keep the shiny side up.

This could be taken the wrong way, but the person who made the original post needs to think about what they said.

However, there are a few people who posted after that also need to follow the same advice.

As a Busa' & Harley RK owner, I have had my share of riding experience on all types of bikes. I can say this with firm conviction: real riders are real riders. Comparing a Harley Davidson motorcycle (any and all models) with a Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa (all years) is like comparing apples and oranges. Scratch that; its like comparing apples and pizzas- the only thing they have in common is the fact that they both have two wheels.

Anyone who has ever riden a HD can attest to the following statement; When you ride a HD, you ride history. I have owened four diferent makes of motorcycles over the past 17 years (Honda, Kawaski, HD & Susuki- in order, 1st to last). Only the HD's (I have owned three) put me into a totaly diferent state of mind the first time I rode them. Granted, they are not fast, they do not handle very well and they cost an arm and a leg and a promissary note on a future artifical limb that you may purchase to replace the ones you gave up to buy the motorcycle, but in my opinion, worth every penny. HD's are made for one thing- cruising and looking nice. Don't let anyone tell you they "just got my engine bored out to 103ci and boy will it haul!". The bike weighs 800lbs.!! It takes that type of power just to get that monster up to highway speeds.

On the other hand, the Busa is a sport bike. "Sport" being the operative word. It is for a different type of riding all together. Never before have I owned or even ridden a motorcycle with so much raw power. I have ridden GSXR750's, & 1000's, Ninja's, ect. But When I first rode a friend's 1999 Hayabusa, I was like a kid again. I looked like I slept with a coathanger in my mouth!! I couldn't get the smile off of my face, and quite frankly, I didn't want too. It didn't take long- about three months- till I found one I wanted. It's been over two years and I still smile every time I hit the throttle. It's a great bike.

Anyone who has ridden with any regularity can tell you there is no perfect motorcycle maker. If a company ever produced a motorcycle that was guarenteed to never brakedown, people would pay any amount to own one. However, we live in a world where the only guarentee's we get are the one's we have to pay for. Murphy's Law- if something can go wrong, it will. Although there are thousands upon thousands of stories about bike's lasting 30k miles with the owner doing nothing more than "changing the oil, putting tires on it & keeping gas in the tank", there are almost just as many stories about the bike with 50 miles on it that "just quit running". I have been on both ends and no one make is error proof.

New Harley's do not "leak oil like an open wound". Old ones do. New Japanese bikes are not "put together so you can't work on them yourself". Actualy the only reason the old ones were is because of the lack of available parts and knowledgable technicians.

People who ride Harley's are going to disagree with people who ride sport bikes. People who ride sport bikes are going to disagree with people who ride Harley's- although they will have to wait for the HD riders to catch up to them at the next fuel stop!! It's just the way the world works. Is it right? Who can say. I believe anyone who rides is worthy of respect and therefore has mine. I don't care if you ride a 1981 Yamaha... at least you are riding.

Well spoken, but maybe you can shine some light on one thing! Why do harley riders act so friggin arrogant and like they don't see you throwing up the wave. It used to really tick me off, but now well let's just say I'm a Christian. That's alot of where the heat comes from sportbike riders. Never asked a Harley rider before so maybe you can inform me.

Well spoken, but maybe you can shine some light on one thing! Why do harley riders act so friggin arrogant and like they don't see you throwing up the wave.  It used to really tick me off, but now well let's just say I'm a Christian. That's alot of where the heat comes from sportbike riders.  Never asked a Harley rider before so maybe you can inform me.
Big Dawg I would be glad to answer your question. However the question is somewhat of an enigma.

I ride with a varried group of bikes and indivduals. The bikes range from late model Sportbikes to a 1976 HD Shovelhead. I make it a point to drop the "two wheel salute", as do my riding partners. Although it can be said-and probably will- that the only reason we wave is because of our diversity. Be that as it may, I wave even when I ride alone- no matter what bike I am on.

I had never noticed the reluctance of Harley riders to not wave at sportbikes untill I started riding one about two years ago. I passed a buddy of mine on the road and I waved and he looked at me like I had just ran over his dog. I turned around and got next to him and raised my visor and he almost fell off his bike! We stopped and started talking and when the question was raised, he just said he did not reconize the bike so he didn't wave. Fair enough. I can go with that.

As time went on, more and more did I have instances where the wave was either only given after I waved or altogether ignored. Almost everytime I asked somebody why they didn't wave to sportbikes I got the same answers..."I don't know", or "I didn't see them". Didn't see them? I hope you only ride in the day time, dude.

Simply stated- Harley riders don't wave to sportbikes and Metric cruisers because that is what they were taught.

I have a good friend with whom I ride. He owned a Kawasaki for 6 years and a Honda for 5 (both cruisers). In 2001 he bought a HD Road King. Now he doesn't wave to sportbikes or Metric bikes. When I asked him why he said "because I learned my lesson and now I only ride Harleys and anyone who isn't on one dosen't need to be riding". I told him he was a idiot and should not judge people based on what they ride.

It was right then I realized the only reason he thought that way is because that is the way the Harley riders treated him for 11 odd years! Prejudice is a learned behavior. Even motorcycle prejudice!

It only takes one time to make someone change their mind about something. I am happy to say my buddy is now again waveing at all bikes. If a few more people will just take the bull by the horns and wave to all other bikes, then maybe we can tear down some of these sterotypes. Don't get me wrong... I don't expect everyone to sit in a circle and sing "Row, row, row your boat", but at least we can show that we respect the other person's courage to be on two wheels.

And if they don't wave back, just smile and relax. You know why the real reason they aren't waveing.... they are having enough trouble concentrating on keeping their bike upright!!!

That's all I got Dawg. Stay safe and keep the shiny side up.

True enough TEX...

The person who made the first post was just bored enough to come on by, kick up some Sh!t and move on...

You are absolutely right about the Apples and Pizza's... Different bikes, different goals.

I do however have what I feel to be a legitimate beeyotch with a lot of the "Credit Card Bikers", or Fashion Bikers out there. They seem to be the ones with the worst attitudes, it's the weekend warrior Dentists and such that stink up the place. All attitude, no riding skills, bought a bike cause it's "trendy". Grr... Pisses me off and I don't own a Harley...

This is really my biggest problem though, I'm just plain pissed off at what Harley is doing with their product line. Specifically why they do not build a proper sport bike for real bikers. I mean the Buells are cute but slow and seemingly designed for 5' people with 4' legs, Tall and tiny... Hmmm... It's liek Harely isn't even trying anymore, they don't give a crap, they own the domestic bike market but still keep producing the same damn cruisers they allways have. This has it's place certainly, but how about some good ole' American ingenuity? How about a performance bike built for folks who know what performance bikes are about. What I mean is the V-rod is the only real "New" bike outta HD in how many years? And they outsourced a large portion of the design and all the motor... Why? With as much money as they are raking in they cannot come up with something new and exiciting in house? Then the Buell's... interesting yeah, but why not a proper sport bike powerplant? Why not some real ergonomics for American sized riders? (Huge Generalization sorry) but you know what I mean, I just got done ranting somewhere asking... why can't Harley get off their Fat asses and build a Busa beater... A Modern V-4 1500cc's, proper "Busa Like" ergo's, real fresh design work and innovation, real world leading performance... Do something worthy of the oldest US Bike Maker, something a lot of us "Sport" guys could wrap our fingers around and have a blast, Put an American sportbike on top.... it would sell like crazy... I have a couple Harley friends down here that I know, would jump at the opportunity to ride a sportbike, but are so skeered of their Lil Harley Click razzing em', they don't make a move... Silly but true...

Finally, I just get tired of the same old attitude from the "Tough Guy" Harley crowd wanting to talk poop about a bike they will never understand... It works both ways, the old Harley Standby "If you have to ask you won't understand."
That works both ways...

Personally I try real hard and I grew up learning that bikes are bikes, and the road is the road... So I give everyone the wave, and I try to be polite out on the road to the cruiser crowd.... Hey I said I try...

Harley just had a big recall for something , I think it had to do with the pedals
laugh.gif

Just what I wanted to hear
I always thought that one day when I get old and my life slow down to crawling that I will get my self A Harley Davidson to match my speed in life But till than I like to enjoy the ride on my Busa's Mind you I'm still young and foolish only 60 So by the time I feel the need for the Harley perhaps they catch up with technology and be able to build more like bike and I wont feel that I'm riding the tractor Have fun on your bone shaker and will see you at the show

Back