Bent output shaft on Gen 1 ?

ZRXMAX

Registered
I do clean my chain often and have noticed that the chain slack varies as I rotate the back wheel. As I understand it Suzuki beefed up the output shaft in the Gen 2 to avoid this problem.

I haven't looked at the sprocket yet but the rear sprocket and chain ( DID o ring ) are in good shape and have about 12,000 miles on them.

I am afraid my output shaft is bent slightly. It is not a problem to ride it as everything works perfectly and nothing abnormal is being felt or heard.

05 Gen 1

Your thoughts?

Put a new chain and sprockets on that puppy and the problem will go away. Chains often wear unevenly thus the slack spots as you rotate the rear wheel. Nothing to get excited about.

When you adjust your chain find the tightest spot in the chain to adjust the proper slack.

Put a new chain and sprockets on that puppy and the problem will go away. Chains often wear unevenly thus the slack spots as you rotate the rear wheel. Nothing to get excited about.

When you adjust your chain find the tightest spot in the chain to adjust the proper slack.

Thanks Tuf... That is what I have been doing on the chain adjustment. I just wanted a second opinion.

When I look at the chain from the rear I can't see any wobble ( chain going left and right slightly ) as I turn the back wheel.

Does this mean the chain just isn't up to the task... or am I really riding it to hard ? I don't think I ride it that hard as compared to other riders I see. The only clutch popping I do is is a little burnout at times... ok...

maybe a long one just before tire change time. Snap throttle wheelies once in a while... that shouldn't bend anything.

What chain do you like the best for anti stretch resistance?

I just had a front sprocket that was causing a clunk every revolution sounding like a broken gear tooth inside the case so i dropped the oil looking for pieces, nothing. It ony had 500 miles on it looked perfect, put a another sprocket on it that I had laying around and the clunk went away. I know there are others that will disagree but IMHO 12,000 miles on a chain on a powerful bike like a Hayabusa you probably got your mileage out it. I would look at chain and sprockets before I worried too much about an output shaft.

Mark the tight spot on the chain,
Keep turning the wheel and rechecking it.

If its the chain it'll be in the same spot.
If it was either of the sprockets, wheel or output shaft (which I doubt)
then the tight spot would move.

I have a couple of bikes with minor tight spots on the chain.

Thanks Guys, I will be replacing the chain which is something I have been wanting to do anyway. I will check the sprokets for wear and most likely change them also.

Nothing feels better and smoother than a new chain adjusted properly.

I do clean my chain often and have noticed that the chain slack varies as I rotate the back wheel. As I understand it Suzuki beefed up the output shaft in the Gen 2 to avoid this problem.

I haven't looked at the sprocket yet but the rear sprocket and chain ( DID o ring ) are in good shape and have about 12,000 miles on them.

I am afraid my output shaft is bent slightly. It is not a problem to ride it as everything works perfectly and nothing abnormal is being felt or heard.

05 Gen 1

Your thoughts?

...that's what you get for trying to outrun me all the time old man.:laugh:

Back