Yosh R77 Carbon Repack

E Zurcher

Registered
First time repack since getting them. Noticed end caps just starting to change color and only have around 5K on them. Repack kit came last night. Looks pretty straightforward on the video but since it's the first time, wondering if there's anything else I need to know before hand?

Also, anyone know of any alternatives for the packing material and a source for the rivets. 50 bucks every 5K seems a little pricey for insulation and rivets.

Z

I'm just gonna run mine until they blow out.. Then I'll have an excuse to buy another exhaust! :D

I've got over 10K on mine without a repack..

Not really, just a little lower of a tone. Sounds great to me.. ;)

Wow! What a PITA. Very hard to get things stuffed in and back together. Checked some videos and figured out you have to take off the steel wool and wire mesh in order to make more room. Then the stainless steel rivets were too heavy duty for my light duty rivet gun. Either have to borrow from my neighbor or head to Harbor Freight.

End results are one semi assembled can with one more to do, two blistered hands an one sweaty itchy dude on his way to a shower.

Next time I'm sending them in for sure!

Well I got the first can together. Borrowed my neighbors "Heavy Duty" rivet gun and promptly snapped the handle so it was off to Harbor Freight. They had the larger two handle guns on sale for only 19.99. Bought two and gave the other to my neighbor. It worked like a champ. Them 1/4 inch stainless steel rivets are tough!

Think I'll heal up for a day and work on the other tomorrow!

Guess repacking Slip-ons is too boring for any input. Nonetheless, second one finished without a problem. Figured out a better way to ensure complete packing. Took about an hour from start to finish.

Some observations.

Could have gone to 10000 miles before repacking. The carbon cap fits over a metal cap and tube which is going to get hot regardless of the condition of the packing so it will slowly turn brown.

Once you drill out the rivets and take the end cap off you will have to use a block of wood and a mallet to pound the tube and front cap out of the can.

The process of drilling, disassembly, alignment and re-riveting will eventually hog out the holes so be careful.

Wrap the tube tightly with the full blanket and assemble the tube to the can. Take the extra piece of insulation, separate the fluff from the bag and using a stick, stuff the empty spaces from the open end. Way easier than double wrapping the tube and trying to stuff the whole thing at once.

Wear a mask and gloves. You will need a change of clothes and a shower after you finish. Itchy, Itchy, Itchy.

All things considered......

I think I'll let Yoshimura do it next time or follow Bots advice and burn em up just to try another exhaust.

Guess repacking Slip-ons is too boring for any input. Nonetheless, second one finished without a problem. Figured out a better way to ensure complete packing. Took about an hour from start to finish.

Some observations.

Could have gone to 10000 miles before repacking. The carbon cap fits over a metal cap and tube which is going to get hot regardless of the condition of the packing so it will slowly turn brown.

Once you drill out the rivets and take the end cap off you will have to use a block of wood and a mallet to pound the tube and front cap out of the can.

The process of drilling, disassembly, alignment and re-riveting will eventually hog out the holes so be careful.

Wrap the tube tightly with the full blanket and assemble the tube to the can. Take the extra piece of insulation, separate the fluff from the bag and using a stick, stuff the empty spaces from the open end. Way easier than double wrapping the tube and trying to stuff the whole thing at once.

Wear a mask and gloves. You will need a change of clothes and a shower after you finish. Itchy, Itchy, Itchy.

All things considered......

I think I'll let Yoshimura do it next time or follow Bots advice and burn em up just to try another exhaust.

I have thought about it. But don't know anyone that has actually done it. I have 20k on my yoshi single tri oval carbon. Wondering now if this effects performance?
Wonder what yoshi charges to repack?

The kit, Insulation and rivets runs around 50.00 shipped. I don't have a price for the labor but Their site says it's minimal whatever that means.

i'm hovering around the 10k region and they still sound alright. i will most likely send them in to avoid the headache you endured.:laugh:

been there and done that with my ti and cf repack/sleeve kit for my akrapovic's mufflers. But I rather do that then shell 500 for a new muffler every time. I will agree that it seems a lot easier than what it actually is. Welcome to ownership. You can say you done it and a small grin of satisfaction will come every time you mention it..

been there and done that with my ti and cf repack/sleeve kit for my akrapovic's mufflers. But I rather do that then shell 500 for a new muffler every time. I will agree that it seems a lot easier than what it actually is. Welcome to ownership. You can say you done it and a small grin of satisfaction will come every time you mention it..

I have always done all of my own work for that very reason. I started wrenching on my friends Honda Trail 70 at 11 years old and I got my first bike at 13 a Kawi G5 100 enduro. First thing I bought was an impact driver and a shop manual which I had memorized. I rebuilt the engine in that bike and my subsequent Yamaha DT175 to include porting and polishing. I fixed bikes in my dad's garage for all of my friends and was my buddies mechanic at the dirt bike races he competed in. I also fixed my other friends bikes and even resurrected a few from death. Did my own valve adjustments on my GS1100 and did porting and polishing work on various dirt bikes. I'm getting ready to rebuild my CRF-450R this fall.

I refuse to pay over 100 bucks an hour labor if I don't have to. It usually comes down to a cost vs time comparison. Even then, I double check the work.

Born to Wrench!

I've re packed a few yoshi cans years back. It wasn't too hard on an oval can. No packing and its too loud but this was on a gsxr 600. When I replaced the can on the 600 it was so much better, not annoying any more. I used packing from a local motorcycle place and used aluminum rivets, it was cheaper than from yosh

Back