yosh drop in cams vs web .378

jimbob8915

Registered
yoshimura site advertizes 9.00 lift, what is that? The web intake and yosh intake share the same duration but the web advertizes .378 lift and the yosh is 9.00, someone clue me in. Going to get a 1397 kit and want the best cams I can put into her without having to shorten my valve guides. I know alot of guys like the webs but was curious what the real difference in the cams are. Running dual intakes right now and can get a real good deal on a set of yosh drop-ins. I can also sell one intake and get the single web intake. Which is better and why?

Are you looking for intake only or the web hole cam set?

My notes show the Yosh cams as:

Intake      0.355" 244@.050"
Exhaust    0.308" 230@.050"

the 9.00 is mm 9mm = .3546"

Yea, with the big bore kit those yosh cams will be weak.
I did find out I can use the web cam .395 lift if I buy APE springs and thier Titanium keepers. I wont need to shorten my guides if I buy the keepers at $229. Is anyone running a stock intake for exhaust and a web .395 with the JE 13 to 1 1397. did you get the Ti keepers or shorter guides?

GIXERHP just did my motor with a JE 1397 13.8 to 1 (I think on the .8 part), WEB 378, intake cam on the exhaust side, Small air box mod w stock air filter, Mobil ONE synthetic oil, Hindle stepped race header with a Hindle can right now while we wait for the Black Megacones to be shipped. PC3 custom mapped to 197.6HP and 112 ft lbs. after about 400 miles for break in. He also set me up with 24V starting and a dual MUZZY fan setup... No valve work was done...

(DNGrumpy @ Jun. 01 2007,18:47) GIXERHP just did my motor with a JE 1397 13.8 to 1 (I think on the .8 part), WEB 378, intake cam on the exhaust side, Small air box mod w stock air filter, Mobil ONE synthetic oil, Hindle stepped race header with a Hindle can right now while we wait for the Black Megacones to be shipped.  PC3 custom mapped to 197.6HP and 112 ft lbs. after about 400 miles for break in.  He also set me up with 24V starting and a dual MUZZY fan setup...  No valve work was done...
13.5 to 1 compression

And the specs on the web cam are here .378 lift and .252 at 50 degrees! Its the intake only of Webs part #70-752.
You can purchase this cam from just about anyone, but i know Orient Express sell the cam buy itself!

The .378 Web with a stock Intake on the exhaust seems to be a popular choice. 52-53lbs springs with stock retainers. The Yosh cams seem to be more suited for a stock bore engine.

(jimbob8915 @ May 30 2007,23:04)  Running dual intakes right now and can get a real good deal on a set of yosh drop-ins.  I can also sell one intake and get the single web intake.  Which is better and why?
Long term you will have better durability running an exhaust cam made for the job . One that runs dead center on the lifter bucket .

To get at your question , the Web 378 has a larger base circle and more effective duration than the Yoshimura intake cam . It is not a little cam for a 4 valve street motor . They don't like alot of duration if the owner wants some type of usable low end that is . The Web requires valve springs whereas the Yosh can use the stock springs if not high mile and fatigued . The more head you have with either set ,the better they will run .

As far as the Yoshimura being too small for large bore engines, I can't agree with that after see'ing a 222hp pump gas stroker engine dyno sheet .

Yoshimura cam specs

Intake duration 244 @.040 valve lift
Exhaust duration 230 @ .040
Intake lift - .354
Exhaust lift - .307

WebCam cam specs

Intake duration 244@ .050 valve lift
Exhaust Duration 226 @ .050 valve lift
Intake lift .378
Exhaust lift .330

If you were to check the Webs in a engine you would find the duration @ .040 would be right at 249 intake-231 exhaust .

The .040 checking point Yoshimura, Megacycle and Kent Cams uses on their cam cards cannot be directly compared to the .050 checking point WebCams uses .

If you used the .050 lift point for the Yoshimura cams , the duration would be right around 240 on the intake as another example .

Much depends on compression,weight of the rider and intended usage when deciding on cams and same for deciding on where to put the installed center angles at .

cam cards

webcam_card.jpg

Back