Yet another dumb sprocket question...

Aquaman

Banned Permanently By MC Mustang
I have read a lot about the 16/42 gearing being used a lot and feel that this is what I wanna go with.
My first dumb question is what is the stock factory gearing?
I plan on extending the swingarm 6"-8" over and how will this effect the 16/42 combo?
What will I need to have my rpm and speedo reading right after the mods?
And what is the easiest way to figure out my new chain length with the longer swingarm?

Sorry if these have been discussed already,couldnt really find what I was looking for on search..
Thanks

besides the post above you get a 150 link of chain and cut to size (ekdrz if you want non oring, ek zvx or zzz if you want o ring)
gearing all depends on what you weigh and what you do with the bike and how much power you have.
I hated 16/42 on my stock wheel base went 17/42 and loved it 6' over I went 16/44 with stock motor.
but again it is all what works for you.

Taken from the APE site:
When extending your swingarm you will need to add links to your stock chain or purchase a new oversize chain. This chart shows how many links you will need to add according to the size extension you have. Note, these are approximations. It's always best to order your chain slightly longer to compensate for any unforeseen variables.

2 inches over add 6 links
4 inches over add 12 links
6 inches over add 20 links
8 inches over add 26 links
9 inches over add 28 links
10 inches over add 32 links
12 inches over add 38 links

<!--EDIT|BusaCruise
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138050817 -->

What they ^ said!
smile.gif

Taken from the APE site:
When extending your swingarm you will need to add links to your stock chain or purchase a new oversize chain. This chart shows how many links you will need to add according to the size extension you have. Note, these are approximations. It's always best to order your chain slightly longer to compensate for any unforeseen variables.

2 inches over add 6 links
4 inches over add 12 links
6 inches over add 20 links
8 inches over add 26 links
9 inches over add 28 links
10 inches over add 32 links
12 inches over add 38 links
Do not add links so an already stretched chain. You may be looking for trouble. Chains are designed to stetch uniformily.

well as long as we are on the topic.... I~am wanting to change my sprockets and need advice. My main concern is drag racing but I don't want to lose any more top end than I have to. So what would be the best gearing for as much of "the best of both worlds" as I could get? But drag racing is my main concern. Thanks guys.

well as long as we are on the topic.... I~am wanting to change my sprockets and need advice. My main concern is drag racing but I don't want to lose any more top end than I have to. So what would be the best gearing for as much of "the best of both worlds" as I could get? But drag racing is my main concern. Thanks guys.
It's either one or the other...Quick or top...Your choice...If your on the strip then 16/42 is what you want...If your looking to break top end then you had better start your search again...

your weight,hp or if your running nos, extended swingarm all of the above will factor in. is it a 1/4 or 1/8 mile track? all depends on the set up of the bike also.
race.gif

<!--EDIT|busa crazy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141787221 -->

Well I am 200 lbs. My bike isn't really set up any more than stock. I am thinking about lowering it soon. I know that I must lose some top end but I want to keep the loss to a minimum. I can make up that loss with horse power anyway. I heard someone say that a 42 in the rear is a good medium. Thanks again guys.

well most of the guys that i race with that run stock engines usually run a 16/43 or 16/44 to help their 60ft, which will help your et. they weigh in around 200lbs. hows your 60 ft on your bike? the best thing to do is go to the track and try a gear and see if it helps. i know it can get expensive, but if you someone that races ask to borrow a gear,most racer dont mind!!!

I guess I'll just have to do the whole trial and error thing until I find what I like. I might try the 16/42 since it seems so popular. Now for advice on how to make my wife understand that I need to spend more money on the motorcycle. Ha. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it works out.

16/42 is what I ran for a while then went to a 43 in the back. Et picked up a little, but I was getting a shift light right at the finish line. Just got to see what works for you. There is no combo that will give you good top and good bottom. If your'e draggin' you'll never see the top speed limiter come into play, unless your'e barry henson or the like....
cool.gif

I saw one guy on the board that had a 16T in the front and left the rear alone. Any thoughts on this set up?

Back