Yellow Box Feedback

G

Hi everybody, I am back from holidays now, and will be continuing to visit (and enjoy!) this forum. Seems I was missed huh? Thank you.

For those that don't know, In Australia most small firms like us close at Christmas for two to four weeks holidays and all staff take their hols at the same time to avoid trying to hire temp staff during Christmas holidays. It is such a normal way of doing business here I hadn't thought about explaining it to anyone!

Sorry if anyone got stressed waiting for their Yellow Boxes, we are back now and apart from being a bit overworked things are fine.

I think I have contacted everyone who emailed/faxed me, thank you everyone for your concern that we had gone broke or whatever (!! Please guys...)

JeffW, has your unit arrived yet? I hope so. :)

We have been checking delivery times, and orders for West USA major cities get there in about 5 working days (we send airmail) other USA areas about 8 working days. Europe has been from 6 days to two weeks.
Also remember that we don't ship the same day we get your order, we run a batch of credit cards about twice a week and airmail once a week. Most orders should arrive in your hands within 2 to 3 weeks from emailing us.

Back to the product, would anyone who has a Yellow Box like to comment? Is it doing what you wanted and is it what you expected?

I have been keen on the "plug and play" concept from the start, but unfortunately to date we have not been able to get the connectors. A person from this site is trying to help (thanks!) and if all goes well we will have plug in units (Suzuki) in a couple of months. That will still leave the problem of other brands of bike, which have different connectors.

My feeling is that within a few months we might have "plug in" Yellow Boxes for a few brands/types of bikes, with other bikes and cars using the system we have now with 4 wires you have to connect (not really a big job).

For Todd, thanks for helping out on the last Yellow Box thread, you posted excellent instructions on how to set up the Yellow Box. I trust you are happy with yours?

It is a good feeling when you see a cop, etc, to be able to look down and know EXACTLY how fast you are going- not have to "guesstimate" a real speed a bit less than whatever the speedo shows. Maybe I'm just an electronics nerd, but on a high performance bike I like a high performance speedo, one that gives a CORRECT reading! :)

It does the job perfectly and easy to install.........according to my buddy and its really easy to set up......it's a winner........

Yes I've been very happy with the Yellow Box. Speedomter error and correction was one of the first items of interest for me after I bought a Busa when I found how easy it was to be going so fast without realizing it. That coupled with local police having too much time on their hands and constantly attempting to collect revenue. I know exactly how much over the limit I can be clocked at without getting nailed as long as the speedo is correct. I was giving up a lot of speed [> 5mph at higher speeds] that is allowed because of the stock speedo error but not anymore! I found the installation to be failry easy and I think the perceived difficulty in the minimal soldering is way overblown. With the ratio tables that are provided and simple setup using the dip switches any Busa speedo can be properly calibrated. Those with new sprockets must really need a Yellow Box! I can't imagine how far off their speedos must be. Now I know what 180+ mph REALLY feels like instead of what it looks like on an incorrect (quiet optimistic) stock speedo.

One more item of interest:

The stock odometer will indicate more miles ridden then you have actually been due to the stock error. This too is corrected with the Yellow Box. For example if you ride 10,000 miles [indicated] on your Busa with an error of 8% (typical for many bikes) the actual miles you really rode is 9200. A 10% error would indicate 1000 extra miles that were never really put on the bike!

...this is certainly true...my Busa gets considerably less "miles per mile" than Sensie John's VFR...consistantly in the (how 'bout that) 8-10 % range...

Anybody else with the Yellow Box installed experiencing this?

With the ignition switched on for longer durations without the bike actually riding/moving at all I seem to notice the tripmeter/odometer slowly counting-up like if the Yellow Box is sending some pulses although bike's at a stand-still?

Although this seems pretty weird and I can't explain it even if I installed it incorrectly, this is certainly happening!

Reason I found out is that I'm doing lots of mods/wrenching on my Busa hours on end in the evenings with the ignition turned on. This is because I have an in-house garage, a small kid (girl, 4 year) sleeping from around 19:30 and an auto-arming alarm on my Busa that only gives you option to keep ignition turned on OR putting alarm in service-mode where it gives a very hard shrill beep each minute to remind you.

At first I thought I was crazy and just not remembering the previous "score" but now I deliberately wrote it down and was able to verify it actually changing.

Will now start testing the rate of this weird phenomenon (how many times per hour does it go up a tenth of a kilometer on the tripmeter).

Hope that 99TLR has some explanation (even if it is faulty installation?

Damn, the busa is fast even while sitting still! No way will the 12 out run a bike that moves when sitting still..............

Damn, VegasDude, making fun of my observations, aren't you?
Well, I'd probably be doing the same if it were someone else posting this here, but I swear it's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Yesterday night it happened again. Was wrenching on the bike, this time the rear wheel wasn't even turned 1 revolution by hand (previous time it was but by no means worth 1/10 of miles) and when checking tripmeter after ignition had been on for 1 hour nothing had changed yet but when checking again after 2.5 hours the tripmeter value had gained 2.8 kilometers (just over one and a half mile) without the bike moving or the rear wheel being rotated at all!

I know this sounds absolutely weird but it's really happening.

Can any of the other Yellow Box users try this out, just turn on ignition and let it rest for a couple of hours and check tripmeter value before and after.

Think I need a straightjacket?

99TLR,
Don't mean to change the subject direction, but is my box on the way yet? If we are waiting on connectors or mail system that's OK. Just like to know. Thanks, Jack.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am concerned about the report of the speedo going up by itself, though. When I designed the YB I deliberately left a "dead-band" of about 3mph (5kph) at the bottom end. The stock Suzuki speedo has a similar feature, so do most bikes. I used that system for the same reason that they did.

At very low speeds, the YB will not output any pulses to the speedo, this stops the chance that there will be spurious, unwanted pulses going to the speedo that might cause innacuracies or even clock up miles.

I just tested my TLR, which of course has the same sensor and speedo units as a 'Busa, and there were NO pulses sent from the YB to the
speedo during the few minutes I had the meter attached.

The voltmeter I used clips on and records highest and lowest readings, which means you can leave it unattended and come back to see if there were any pulses. It will catch very short pulses (1uS I think) and could not have missed a pulse big enough to activate the speedo.

My conclusion is that;
1. My bike/YB doesn't do it.
2. It didn't make even one pulse in the 5 mins or so that I tested it for.
3. The bike speedo needs approx 7720 pulses to clock one whole km travelled.

I can guess that the Yellow Box could make one pulse when it is first turned on. This is as it goes from 0v to 10v and would only happen on the 50% chance that your front sprocket was at the right degrees angle.

So, if your bike had the right sprocket angle, and you turned it on and off 7,720 times, it MIGHT clock up one km. It is possible that you have a bad installation, say a loose power wire to the Yellow Box that powered up/down many times fairly quickly as the touched the wiring harness of the bike, but this is a long shot! More likely would be that you are mistaken, or that the YB is faulty.

If it is just a joke please put me out of my misery, we have had 3 R1s with compatibility problems with the Yellow Box (other R1s have been ok), and we are only selling the YBs to Suzuki owners at the moment until I sort that out. :redface:)

99tlr; will the box make adjustments for lower numerical changes in final drive ratios?I am changing from the stock 40 to a 33 will the box be able to recalibrate for this type of change?

99TLR, it's no joke from my side!
Will do another test tomorrow night (I've just returned from a week's skiing holiday, so couldn't reply any sooner), just turn on ignition, write down both trip- and total-mileage at that time, go away for a couple of hours (not riding, bike's still not ready so will be in garage, non moving) and check mileage again before turning off ignition.

Motorhead, YellowBox can be adjusted plus or minus 25% in very small increments.

[This message has been edited by Animal (edited 19 February 2000).]

Back